3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions of climbing tree stands  (Read 281 times)

Offline RRock

• Trad Bowhunter
Opinions of climbing tree stands
« on: October 13, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm thinking that I might be interested in purchasing a climber. It needs to be very light, it needs to be easy to use and it needs to be basically foolproof. What do you think?  Thanks

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions of climbing tree stands
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
I have a Summit BUshmaster. Think you'd enjoy one. Give it a try , if you canfind someone that has one.  

Mine is stable, confortable, quiet and I'd definitely buy another one if I had to. And they a a geat value, less expensive doesn't mean less quality in this case
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
My opinion is that nearly anything I can do with a climber, I can do with my current set up (not a climber).  Plus, I can do things that you cannot do with a climber... like,  not straight, or branchy trees.

Lots of folks love them.

In the end,  it is your choice entirely.
ChuckC

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
Well Ive owned a couple of them over the years and even though both worked well enough I have abandoned them in favor of permanent ladder stands.  I presume you have a need for a stand you can carry in and out of an area each hunt (public land perhaps).  You have a couple of options in my opinion, the climber or the pop up ground blind.  I personally found the climbers to be a bit too much of a pain in the butt to be of great use to me not to mention expensive.  I have also had the bottom fall out from under me, LITERALLY, while using both of the climbers Ive owned.  I was younger then and could effectively slide down the trunk but it might not be quite so easy for me now.  Just a couple of things you might want to think about I guess.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline Mount Sweetness

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Lone Wolf Alpha Sit $ Climb with over-sized seat

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
I think it depends on the area you hunt a little bit.  They are very comfortable and some are very light weight.  I had a summit that I liked but I sold it and bought a very light weight gorilla hang on and the lone wolf sticks and it is pretty good.
If I had it to do again I would go ahead and spend the money on the lone wolf hang on also.  I can usually find a tree I could put a climber on close to where I use my gorilla, but with the hang on I can be right where I want to be with out a lot of sawing.  
I did not feel as safe hanging the stand at first but now I use one of those linemans belts to hang the stand and feel pretty good about it.
With a hang on your spots can stay a little more secret.  I say that because a lot of times you can see where someone has trimmed the heck out of tree for a climber.
My setup weighs about 20 pounds, thats the stand and sticks.  My climber was about 19 pounds and much more comfortable, so there are some trade offs.  I don't think you would really go wrong either way.
I would not get one with a front bar on it for bow hunting if you get a climber.

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Summit is the way to go.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
I have used climbing stands for years.  I now use a treesaddle and Love it.  Before you buy, check out Trophyline Tree Saddle.  It might just be whatcha' looking for.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Afraid a snake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I like Summit stands

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by rascal:
 I have also had the bottom fall out from under me, LITERALLY, while using both of the climbers Ive owned.  I was younger then and could effectively slide down the trunk but it might not be quite so easy for me now.  
A short section of cord connecting the top and bottom sections of the climber will prevent that from happening.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I can rarely find a tree suitable for a climber where it needs to be for close range setups....so in my opinion climbers are way to limiting.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
ol man aluminum....best out there.Quiet,light and safe.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
I own a Summit, a Loggy, a Warren and Sweat, a Baker, a TreeSuit and a Lone Wolf. They all have their good points and bad points. But my Lone Wolf with the cargo net seat gets the nod as being the lightest, the quickest to setup and take down, and the quietest every time.    :thumbsup:  

But if I don't start seeing some deer, they are all staying home, and I'll go set in the woods enjoying a good cigar while setting on the ground.   :mad:      :mad:      :mad:
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Lone Wolf......light-silent!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
I love my summit viper SS but. I have used API and like them as well.

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
I've been using a summit for the last 5 years or so Matt. Stable, foolproof and very quiet once you get the hang of them.

A few # heavier than the lone wolf and doesn't fold flat so it is bulkier if your traveling through heavy cover.

The seat on the summit is the most comfortable one I've found in a climber. I prefer a stand without the sit and climb option(don't like the bar in front of me) others prefer it. I'd suggest trying out a few before buying.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
I would have to agree with everyone here really, alot of good points.
The one thing I do like about my Summit climber VS. a ladder or lock on is I can really play the wind if I want to hit a spot real hard looking for a particular deer and can move according to the deer in a given area if need be.
  I still hunt lock ons and ladders just depends what mood i'm in really
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
I can put my gorrilla on with my lone wolf sticks in the same time it takes for my brother to climb up with his climber and I take it in and out everytime.  just wanted to clarify that.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
The first limb in an East Texas pine thicket 50' straight up. Climbers make sense & I own 2 aluminums. Never used them any other place. Borrow one first just to test. They're way too expensive & cumbersome for most situations.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I`ve used a Tomcat climber for about 15 years or so. I am starting to use loc ons more now. The two deer kill`nst fellers I know use loc ons and gaffs or a Simmons Woodpecker drill.I saw a fella climb a tree with rope steps and hang a loc on in under 10 minutes once and he was in no hurry. I was impressed.RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©