3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Non-wood risers  (Read 135 times)

Offline Greg Owen

• Trad Bowhunter
Non-wood risers
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Another thread made me think about this. I know we all have our own opinions. I would like to know who considers the non-wood risers to be too modern to feel traditional. I am not a hunter although I often go hunting with others. I started shooting traditional because I like the challenge and like the complex simplicity of it. It just seems so simple until you try to excel at it, then it gets very complex. It just doesn't 'feel' traditional to me to have a non-wood riser on a traditional bow. I am not saying people who use them are not traditional archers. They are. I know this could extend out to limb materials too.  I don't have the same non-traditional feelings about carbon in the limbs. We all have our preferences and opinions. Ok - I need to go shoot some more while I contemplate the seeming inconsistency I have between modern riser and modern limb.
Greg  >>>>>--------------->
A Traditional Archer and Vegetarian.

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Non-wood risers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Greg...well said...I have both wood and metal risers in ILF configurations. Both have their places in tradional archery whether it is in a hunting situation or 3d or target. I think sometimes we get way too caught up in the issues at hand and egos and strong opinions get involved...just go out and sshoot a bow and enjoy...whatever floats your boat as some people say...if it works for you...it must be good!!  :campfire:

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
I like and shoot both. They look different, but they function the same. No need to worry about the looks. As long as you like them, no one else's opinion really matters.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
They made those metal risers in the 1960's partner, so I don't see much difference. Actually Par-X and Grimes made them in the early 50's.   Look at my thread, "New Takedown" and see a 1972 metal riser that is as traditional as any new three piece takedown out there.  

Here's the 1972 Bear Mag T/D.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
The only issue i would have would be a metal riser getting very cold as metal is very good at conducting heat away from your hand.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
I tried to bring a pair of massive Gobi aragli horns out of Mongolia that I was considering for a longbow riser.  Thought I was going to rot in a Mongolian prison when we got pulled aside at security.....

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
I don't even know why people keep wondering if something is 'traditional' or not.   Pick out what you want to shoot and just go do it, and enjoy it.   Life's too short to wonder if someone else thinks you are traditional or not.   I wish 'traditional archery' would get over this phase of trying to define itself.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
I couldn't care less what's considered "traditional"; I shoot what I like to shoot.
George is right... metal risers have been around a very long time.  
I'll see if I can dig up the photos of a few metal riser T/Ds that predate fiberglass  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
In 269 BC they were using steel bows in India.    ;)

I wonder if the armies they were crushing cried foul?    :jumper:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I stopped short of buying the new Border limbs for my recurve because I prefer the wood even though I know that the new HexV's are better in terms of function. I prefer "D" shaped longbows with "traditional" handles to hybrids even though my bow has some R/D in it when unstrung and in Europe anything with a shelf on it can't even be called a longbow but an "American flatbow." I have carbon in all my Borders. In fewer words, I don't pretend to be following any rhyme or reason here!    :biglaugh:   It's all about the fun and I have no trouble with how anyone haves it-even if they want to privately enjoy feeling more traditional than me because they shoot a selfbow etc.   :D   Even the debates about all this I enjoy! If you are not hurting anyone else; don't let anyone sit in judgment of you!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
I shoot a gamemaster 2 and I must confess that it dosn't feel very traditional to me. When I frist switch back to trad last fall,I did it more to shoot a recurve really well than to shoot traditional. I seen that realy cool riser I thought that I might make me a better recurve shooter. Then I realised it was just as tough as any recurve longbow that I had shoot in the past. Now I find myself adding leather and shooting off the self wishing I had one of those nice pretty bow everyone has here. Just me but I think my next bow will be a nice beautiful long bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©