3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who hunts in the Rain???????  (Read 469 times)

Offline stickbow2442

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who hunts in the Rain???????
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
I hunt in the rain. But most of the time its in a ground blind.
Robert
Michigan Longbow Association
----------------------------

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
The unfortunate side of having to make a living is I have to work.  Therefore I hunt when I can...if it's raining, so be it.  The way I look at it -- all that money I've spent on rain gear and outdoor clothing would be just wasted if I didn't test that stuff out!   :biglaugh:
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Only if it is a light rain and I can track if I hit a deer. Had some bad experiences with the rain washing away the blood trail.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
If I wake up to the sound of a downpour, I'll roll over for a bit more sleep. But if a light gentle rain is fallin, well its one of my favorite times to be in the woods.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Not on purpose.I do get caught out sometimes but as a rule I don't unless I have no control.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
My thoughts on hunting in the rain:
Rain will wash away a blood trail more quickly than you can follow it! We owe it to the game we persue to do everything we can to ensure they do not go to waste. Damp even drizzly days are excellent times to hunt and I do frequently....if it RAINS, I wont shoot.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
From my limited experiance, if it is the only chance I can, I will hunt in the rain.  If it is downpour I will stay in and watch the doppler, soon as I see it coming to an end (during legal shooting times), bam I am out in the woods.  I do worry about the blood being washed away, but if you ensure and take nothing but the best and 20 yard shot's you have nothing to worry about.  In a steady light rain they move hard, especailly big bucks, seen 6 monsters yesterday.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
I'm watching the radar every hour this morning. Hoping to get out this afternoon....it's going to be wet. I will definately have my treestand umbrella!

I'll only take a "gimme" shot when it's raining very much.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Never miss the opportunity. I'm heading to CT in about 30 minutes to bowhunt and the forecast here in the Northeast for the rest of the week is rain, some snow flurries tonite. Rain doesn't bother deer, they will feed in a downpour. Now...a flat out total downpour...I will wait for the water to subside. Good luck..............Joe
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
I've killed most of my deer on rainy, sleeting and/or snowy days. They seem to be on the move in that type of weather.

I keep my shots close when the weather is wet and inclimement. During a heavy downpour I would wait it out, but otherwise just use a little common sense.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
One of the biggest bucks that i have ever seen was in a bad rain storm and he was checking scrapes. I dont mind hunting in the rain because i have a great rain gear and as long as its not raining sideways the deer will usually go about there business.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
I'll hunt in showery weather, but if it's a heavy steady rain I usually call it a day.  Where I hunt there's usually a lot of brush and timber, if the bloodtrail gets washed away there's a very good chance you won't find the animal.  

I'll hunt in snow any chance I get!

I hear about guys losing animals every year because they couldn't find the bloodtrail.  Just last month a guy was hunting elk in a heavy rain in Western Oregon, he hit a nice bull in the throat(no, not his intended target)and the bull ran off. Said he couldn't find his arrow in the vegetation, and didn't see a bloodtrail the direction the bull ran.  10 days later he was in the same spot and followed his nose only 60 yards to where the bull had died. Maybe if he had waited to hunt in better weather, the outcome might have been better?  I don't this fella put much effort into finding this elk, weather may not have mattered much.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©