3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's do a catch-up thread......  (Read 712 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's do a catch-up thread......
« on: October 14, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Since I've just gotten my pic posting problems straightened out.....I can finally share some pix that I've been wanting to for a while now....

Let's start way back on Labor Day weekend....

I had a great weekend planned. Saturday after noon, Cade and I planned on joining our good friends Tim and Gary Kosteczko on a camping/fishing/bowfishing weekend.Then Monday, morning go to a trad only 3D shoot with Dad and Cade!

Saturday morning I woke up as usual before daylight, ate breakfast, checked TG and when I went to the sink to put my bowl in....

I looked out the window over the sink into the back yard and there he was.......my nemesis!

The woodchuck that has been giving me fits all summer! I mean I'd tried so many times to kill this woodchuck by sneaking up on him, it wasn't funny anymore. My wife and kids were even to point of laughter. This thing was making a fool of me!

My wife even commented to me after one of my failed attempts..."some hunter you are"

I normally wouldn't be so set on killing something basically in my backyard, but this one and the other before him had dug so many holes under my shed, that it was actually sinking on one side. Couple that with the fact that, I was having such a time killing him...I was getting like Bill Murry in Caddyshack! The "gopher" had to die!

I was even to the point that I would have shot him with a gun, but no way in my neighbourhood....

So anyway, I looked out and immediately put my plan into action. I grabbed my bow and quiver full of Snuffers, and my DB blind...

The plan was to walk out, let him see me, set the blind up, and wait him out. I knew the pears that were falling off the trees in my backyard would be enough to draw him back out before long.

Well he did just what I thought when he saw me, and I quickly set the blind, nocked an arrow, and sat on my stool.....

I'd only been sitting there for about 15 minutes when I saw his head pop out....but he came up out of a hole that was between the boards of the ramp that I drive my mower into the shed with...hmmmmm....

Slowly I reach for my bow, but he sure was cautious. Over the next few minutes, he was still just barely peeking out above the ground, between the 2x8's.....

It took a solid ten minutes for about half of his body to come above ground. I had already decided that would sacrifice and arrow into the shed if need be. I was thinking if I hit him right in the chest, I could actually pin him right to the shed. Then there would be no way he could get back in his hole......

I couldn't believe how my heart was pounding as I drew "Timex", my 62# Kwyk Styk...

I released, and in a flash, the arrow was gone, and he started his descent, but he wasn't quick enough......

You can see why my shot had to be right on the money or things could have gone real bad.....

My nemesis and very worthy opponent....

Maybe not a "real hunt", but a good way to start out my weekend!

Up next...the camp out/fishing/bowfishing trip....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's do a catch-up thread......
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »

I LOVE IT   :thumbsup: ..... No string Tracker???

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
My wife even commented to me after one of my failed attempts..."some hunter you are"
I hope her statement was retracted!

Good shootin man!

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Way to go Curt!!!  Great Shooting!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Stan the bow man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Good shot  :notworthy:
Blackwidow PSAX 45@28 64” Black & White Ebony
 Blackwidow  PLX TD 64” 48@28” Black & White Ebony
  Massie 64"48@28 Longhorn Longbow      
Roland Jenkins recurve 50 @ 28”
Bear Polar LB 45 @ 28”
Bear Grizzly 55 @28
2 Osage self bows

BY THE GRACE OF GOD

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
I love it!  I waged war with one old boar this year in the middle of my field.  I missed him three times and finally got him last week (I think).  I got a shot that flew just a tad low and he hunched up and ran for the hole but stopped at the hole hunching up.  Upon examining the area I got blood, hair and the arrow had hair and fecal matter on the fletch.  I'm sure I sliced his bowels open as I haven't seen him since.

I hate them.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline justin ammons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Nice shootin!  Those are good looking arrows too!!
Pr. 3:5-6

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Cool Story Curt....  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Congrats  :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
He shoots,  He scores!!!!!!!!

Love it man.........>
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Nice shootin' Curt! You must have remembered to pick a spot.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Kinda reminds me of my first, and only, "harvest" with trad equipment.

Raccoon was living INSIDE a factory where my buddy worked.  It was after hours so you can put the rest of the story together, although mine was more a "search and destroy" kind.

Yes, Raccoon season had come in the week prior.  (I knew this because my G-pa was a HUGE coon hunter and to this day  I wish he had lived a few years longer to turn me into a houndsman.)

Great story.  Bill Murray would be proud!!! lol
Micah 6:8

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
Due diligence.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
I think that chuck should be a true trophy in my book.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
Very nice!  These are the kind of threads I love to read.  Like Justin said, those arrows are beauties, what are they?  You know, in case I ever have a life or death encounter with a rock chuck out here in Idaho.  

Travis   :thumbsup:    :D
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 01:37:00 AM »
Good Shootin' Guru!!  :scared:   Fine Shooting,now are You gonna Skin It And Make a Hat out of Him Just for Spite?? Or Stuff Him and Set him in the Window for the Others to See??  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 02:25:00 AM »
Great story! I could feel the tension while sitting here reading and drinking my morning coffee... good shot too  :)
Stand up and say it loud: I am a gap-shooter and proud!
(Although I sometimes use the force)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »
Anyone that has hunted them know they are a real challenge; kind of the big game of small game. I remember spending nearly everyday hunting them one summer; and keeping count. I got 12; and that might not seem like much; but it meant a LOT of hunting.

I also like the fact that anti-hunter vegans would ask me to kill their woodchucks; provided I wore camo; hid myself; and snuck in and out of the property. No problem  :)  

Where I live now there are 'rock chucks'; yellow belly marmots; and they seem to ALWAYS have rocks all around them and each shot is 'sudden death' for my arrows. I miss woodchucks !

Hey - you had a treestand out there in the form of the playhouse - but no big deal; there will be more....    :D
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 03:30:00 AM »
Nice shooting Curt.  I had a battle with one this year that's been living under a shed of a vacant house next door.  I had a lot of fun putting sneaks on him over the past two months but he's a crafty sort and while I would wait for the shot, he'd figure out something was wrong and scoot.  I missed him twice in what seemed virtually impossible as my Snuffer passed UNDER his belly on both shots.  Last week I put a sneak on him that worked perfect. I got set up behind a bush as he fed my way and lined up perfect at maybe 5 yards oblivious to me.  I drew back and discovered that I'd grown too fond of chasing him to actually kill him.  What can I say... He won.  It happens.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 05:27:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  

That first photo: too funny!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©