3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: primitive arrows and knapped heads  (Read 430 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
primitive arrows and knapped heads
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Who can I get to make some good knapped flint heads for deer and turkey?
Gonna do a bow build later this winter of a more primitive type bow and want to make some primitive arrows.
What is the best kind of sapplings to use or should I go with cane?
Probably need to get started getting shafts dried so I can shoot plenty before next spring.
Gonna shoot for 50 to 55 # on the bow at 29"
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: primitive arrows and knapped heads
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
You probably have red osier dogwood(Cornus sericea), a multi-stemmed shrub type dogwood that generally grows in wet areas or in landscapes. With the leaves gone, red osier is easy to ID because of the bright red stems on the young growth. There are probably other shrub type dogwoods , wild rose or viburnums growing in the wild in your area. Do a search with your state DNR or Dept of Ag for better ID information and locations.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Here is a tip or two for you. When you locate the shoot material look for second year growth or older for your shafting. Generally the first year a shoot will have leaves along it's length. The second growth year small branches will grow from the leaf scars of the previous year. It is this second year growth(or older) that you want for arrows. Cut them longer that you need(36" or so if you can) and anything from about 3/8" in diameter up to 1/2" or more at the base . You will probably be reducing the diameter with a thumb plane later. After they dry they will have shrunk a bit as when you remove the bark so you will need bigger diameter than you would think.
   With some hardwood shoots, like sourwood(not in your area) you can remove the bark as soon as you cut them and they generally will not check when drying. With other material like viburnum or wild rose, you will leave the bark on for at least a month before you remove it or they WILL check. When I collect hardwood shoots I wrap them in bundles of about 15 and set them in my utility room to dry.
   The natural taper of most hardwood shoots will make spining your arrows easier. That natural taper will reduce the effective spine by about 10#. I make my cane and hardwood arrows long also; 29" to 30" for my 26" draw. Any length over 28" you can reduce the spine by 5# per inch.
...and they don't have to be "as straight as an arrow" either. In most cases, if the point and nock end line up and the arrow spins well the arrow will fly well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Afraid a snake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Kris I have several river cane shafts that I cut last fall,they need straightened but you are welcome to some of them if you decide to use cane.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info Guys, I may take you up on the cane Mike. I'm not looking to get in a big hurry as this will be a set up for next year so I figur as long as I'm shooting by march I should be good. I hope.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
TTT. plenty of guys offering advice on shafts but what about some good hunting stone heads?
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
I don't knap so I get all my heads and blades from friends that do.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
They are kind of difficult to make, sticks and strings. But if your not to picky, core and flake arrowheads are easier to make and can still be made pretty nice. All of mine are made on a biface core which makes them very flat and wide. I might spend several hours on a real nice one. So long story shorter they have to be expensive.
If you look up some starving self bowyer artists on paleo planet you might be able to buy some real nice ones cheaper.
I've been wanting to get back to this project of making some stone tipped arrows as I have never really made any. I can make a corner notch as wide as the really wide Zwickeys deltas or what ever their called. I've weighed some of mine and there not that heavy. A couple hundred grains or so. If I can get the chores done this year....
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I got a message from Bill Skinner and talked to a guy I know here in petersburg named Tom Tally. I've known him for years and haven't talked to him in a while so I really didn't even think of him. Tom told me he sells them for 20 a piece. I thought they might be expensive but I've seen steel heads higher.
  I really don't know what's fair for this type of equipment cause I am very unfamiliar with primitive gear. I know quite a bit about archery in general and am learning more about trad gear everyday but this whole primitive has peaked my interest as of late. I did buy a knapped obsidian knife and am waiting for it and plan to dress and skin my first primitive deer with it down the road and put it up.
 Kinda looking forward to this whole primitive thing. If you guys see a skinny white feller running around the woods in a loin cloth and bareefoot it's just me. LOL but it oughta be fun right LOL
Kris
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
"Skinny white feller in a loin cloth" huh? Thanks for the warning!

Bill is one of the best. Doesn't have a whole lot to say but right there if you need some stone points or cane shafting material.

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Well it sounds like you have the need to investigate the flint knapping process sticks_strings. Just don't get to carried away it is known to be hard on the body. Don't rely on pressure flaking for too long, a lot of hernias and or wrinst and elbow problems have been noted in those who do.
20 bucks is a good price for one and I would think you find someone younger on paleo planet that would go for that. I've been doing knapping on a above hobby level since 82" and I've seen several generations of poeple come and go in it. I'm pretty shot up from it myself. But when you love something you can't be defeated. Kind of like the bow thing.
I've been thinking about putting some on the auction next time, that would be cool. I noticed Woodies sold pretty well.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Some more recent work;

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Artifaker those look pretty good! I don't really need to start knapping myself, I got to many Irons in the fire now. Maybe down the road but a good ways down the road.
Yeah Bona, I been given the loin cloth thing a little thought but I think it gets to cold on my part of the country. LOL

Atifaker, I really like brown and black looking one ( 2nd on the right bottom after the nickel. I bet that would make a good rabbit head.
Kris
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
Sticks-nstrings, I put that brown and black triple notch point on the scale this morning and it runs 30.5 grains. The material is South Park or possibly Big Horns Spanish Point Jasper. I think it might be too small and delicate to use on our size arrows. It weighs barely more than an aluminum insert. The shaft for it would be about the size of a chop stick.
The point to the left of the nickle is Sweetwater Chalcedony and weighs 265 grains.
The point straight above the nickle is Flattop Chalcedony and is very rare, it weighs 114 grains.
The large corner notch to the right of the Flattop is South Park Jasper and weighs 211 grains.
The small corner notch straight above the triple notch is Shirley Basin and weighs 45 grains.
The point to the right of the nickle is Kremling White River Resilliscified Chalcedony and weighs 57 grains.
The two clear points are Pigeon Blood Agate and weigh 72 and 130 grains.
I'm thinking that I've had these too long to sell (I always keep quite a few of my points). But I will try to start a new work shop and make a few. I should be able to come up with something tough and in the weight range for our size of bows. If you want.

Offline Afraid a snake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Larry those are some awesome looking point !!!!!!!!I have been knapping for about 4 years and mine are far from the quality of yours.However I did start hunting with them last year and was able to get a doe with a point I had made .

You are correct ,knapping is extremely addictive.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
Ya man, thanks. It doesn't really get easier with time either, I was just outside knapping for the first time in a while. It didn't go all that well, I'm out of knapping shape. I need to come up with some for hunting, and I have a friend here that might be able to do it. You could (afraid a snake) supply stick-nstrings if you want. No problem here, I mainly make stuff for looking at, keep sakes and such. I'll do some more knapping as the weather holds and see what happens.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
Very nice notching!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Sounds great guys anybody that wants to let loose of any good hunting heads just let me know. I can't buy them all but I'll take what I can afford.
I was thinking about doing some trading. and making some real nice display arrows to trade for points kinda like Guru does. Only thing is I gotta get together some stuff to start with.
 Gonna cut me some arrow wood chutes and primrose later in the next week or two.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
Oh yeah I almosts forgot 30.5 grains or not that's one pretty arra head   :clapper:
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©