3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String tracker experience  (Read 184 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
String tracker experience
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
Has anyone ever used a string tracker with trad gear? You see, I'm colorblind and can't see blood to track. So I usually have to get someone to help me. I don't want to take my partners away from there buck hunting to help me track a doe. So this stops me from going out sometimes when otherwise I would. Especially being I already have my buck. So I thought about my old string tracker. I have the strap on adapter for my bow. Just curious if anyone has any experience with them. Thanks.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String tracker experience
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I used one on a hog hunt once, the property was really wet from a tropical storm. I shot 2 hogs with it at about 10-12 yards and both fell in sight, one pass thru so the string came out twice as fast..the string is noisy at the shot so keep your shots close.  have you tried to use hydrogen peroxide to make blood foam up?  I have a friend who uses a Jack Russell terrier to trail shot game.

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Hey Mike!  Look under the "how-to" resources forum.  Guru has an excellent how-to on the string tracker.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
I've shot a couple deer, 2 javelinas, a hog and several turkeys with string trackers.  Worked pretty well overall, I consider almost necessity with turks.  Never had an animal react to the noise IMO.

The trouble is, though, that the string seems to generally get hung up / break by 100 yds or so.  Works fine with a good hit, but marginal hits I'd be worried you'll be in the same situation as no string after the first bit.  

I don't use them anymore except turkeys.

We (the wife and I) are currently training a dachshund pup to blood trail - that's my solution to color blindness  :)

R

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks fellows for the input.
Ryan- I thought the same thing about the string breaking. Especially in these woods with all the multiflora we have. I think I think I'll give it a try.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©