3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Red River 8 Point  (Read 447 times)

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
Red River 8 Point
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
Lisa bought me a management hunt at the Expo. Mike and Lori Ford are great folks and they have a outstanding place to bow hunt. I had a great 8 point the first evening that never gave me a shot before the light gave out. He came back the next morning and turned broadside at 15 yards.

http://www.buffsblackwidow.com/videos/riorojo8point.wmv

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Red River 8 Point
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
Congrats!! Great vids as usual.  That looked like a great shot?  Did you guys do a little autopsy to see what the results were?  Thanks for sharing. Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
My experience on my one and only Texas hunt is that I have never hunted deer that were so wired and spooky. Your video confirms what I experienced. Nice videos you produce and great music, as well. Your shooting ain't too shabby either. Nice job.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Nice video. Congrats on the deer.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Good stuff Buff!  I notice you shoot pretty low, and rightly so as most of your deer duck a good bit.  I've never hunted out of a ground blind, is that why?  Are they just a bit spookier?  I usually hunt from a stand and rarely have one duck nearly that much.  I basically aim where I want to hit them...but if you did that here, you would have missed him completely.  Awesome stuff, Man.  I love those videos!  Keep em coming!!!!!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline stick_string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
Awesome...great shot!!
stick_string

GEN 27:3 (its in the BIBLE!!)

Ember Longbow and Brack Drifter

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
The whole thing including music is great. Good deer & most excellent track job.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
Another great Vid Buff..

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Great buck!  Never would have said that deer would make it 500 yards.  Great video.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Cool.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
I'm always amazed at whitetails.  I would have guessed that deer to go (at most) 100 yards.  Great shot, excellent video and the music was cool.  Thanks for sharing!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Man that was just too cool! Congrats on a fine deer.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
Great job as usual Buff.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
That was very enjoyable,  what did the autopsy show for damage to vitals....500 yards,amazing!
Nice work

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I got both lungs. I was suprised he made it out of sight. The blood trail was steady but thin. I think he ran wide open until he dropped

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Looks like you aimed 4"-6" below him to get him where you did. That was some incredible ducking that deer did. It makes me wonder how many of those times I missed high weren't because the deer jumped the string.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
I always try to aim low. Shooting at ther middle of a texas deer is 90% of the time going to be a miss

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Gotta a love hunting those TX Bucks!!!

Folks that have never hunted TX Deer don't know they are a whole different species...they live in fight or flight mode 24/7.  I've been lucky enough to hunt there for about 6 years, and I didn't even shoot the 1st year.  But I 'shot low' the next two and got humbled at their ducking/leaning/wheeling maneuvers.

I finally decided where I needed to aim, and I've taken an 8 and two 10's since, along with several does.  You chose a good head to go with Buff as they are always moving targets.  I also use big heads and aim UNDER the deer and about 3 inches farther back than I do on 'regular' deer....and they 99% of the time drop/lean right into it.  I have had one doe just stand there....but those are far from the norm.

I've even shot one from 15 foot up and 15 yards away that the EXIT wound was 2 inches HIGHER than the entrance. And if you shoot one broadside most likely it will be quartering away when the arrow arrives.  I shot slap through one just like you did that went 500 yards as well....straight back to the bedding area it came out off...he never let up till he got to that cedar thicket and he was lying just inside it.  Also shot through one last year that wheeled so fast the arrow broke and the Bhead half of the shaft came back toward my tree!!!!,....yep, it was lying half way between my tree and the imact point.  TX deer are bizerk!!!

I never take quartering away shots as the arrow will parralel the deer...yep, did that twice on does and quit taking that shot.

Also, for those that have never hunted TX deer, don't expect your perfect shot to result in a normal recovery distance.  Living in the panic mode, these deer travel MUCH farther than 'normal' deer on the same lethal hit.  That's something that 1st time TX hunters find out real quick and comment on usually on the 2nd day  of helping track several deer.  And those deer can cover open TX terrain pretty fast leaving little sign....another reason for big bheads on TX deer.

Sorry for the ramble....but I really love hunting TX every year, and its a whole different ball game for sure....Congrats Buff!!!  and thanks for sharring.       :thumbsup:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
very Nice congrats
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
I agree, those TX bucks are wired.  I like using big snuffers on them as you need all the damage and trail you can get.

Nice buck Buff.  Congratulations.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©