3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrgh! Missed a chip-shot...twice! Opinions?  (Read 437 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrgh! Missed a chip-shot...twice! Opinions?
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Notice : No animals were harmed in the telling of this story.

Since my wife and I just had newborn twins, yesterday afternoon was my first time out this deer season.

But I have a 3D range in the backyard and practice every single day. Frankly, I've been shooting lights out good, at least on a lifeless plastic target.  

I pre-prepped around a dozen natural ground blinds over the summer, using lots of pine tree's, deadfall, etc. I have a few for every possible wind and they are "decorated" nicey with natural camo.

My place has been timbered in stages, so we have tons of very thick new growth. It's a mix of pines, oak, beech, maple, choke cherry and spruces we've planted. Lots of it is so thick you have to trim openings with a chainsaw in order to have a decent window.

That also makes for pretty fast shooting and you have to stay alert because when the deer show, they're right there.

I have a few set up for east winds and we had that yesterday, so I knew where I wanted to go, plus it's on a great trail.
We've killed countless deer from this location over the last 40 years. And range is no mystery, it's 15 paces. My buddy killed a 9pt there last year.

So, I get situated around 4pm. Light east winds at first but then it died and got chilly by 6pm. About 6:15 I hear a deer trotting down the trail and slowing down right near my opening, coming from my left to right. I can see thru a couple peep openings that it's a nice mature doe.

So, as she's behind a small clump of pines before my 8 foot opening, I start to draw...she hits the spot where I want her...and I shoot about 2" right over her lungs! Arrgh!

But, she didn't know what happened. She bounded only about 15-20 yards and started stomping her feet for a minute. I quickly knocked another arrow and then you could tell that she wanted to go back where she came from, now from my right to my left.

I see her nose and legs hitting my shooting opening again and I can't believe my good fortune. She's mine now! So I draw, she's perfectly broadside...and my arrow zipped over her back in the exact same place! 2" over the lungs! ARRGH!

She bounded off for good and I almost fell off my chair with a self mocking laugh saying "you gotta be *@#$ing kidding me!". ARRGH! LOL

To make matters worse, I just got some new 210 gr Silver Flames and couldn't find one or the two. (I'll go back and look later).

So what did I do wrong?

To be honest, even though I've killed roughly 200 deer over the years (we've had lots of antlerless/crop tags) this was my first sit this year, my first deer seen this season, I was geeked to be out hunting with the new twins and all and I did get a little doe fever when everything worked perfectly, but for my shooting form.

In hindsight, I think I picked my head up instead of bearing down, because I wanted to watch the arrow on my "can't miss" dream chip-shot.

I hit my anchor, thought I picked a spot, but I think my head was straight up, but I don't normally shoot that way.

Any thoughts? Both arrows were in the same spot, perfect right to left, except about a foot high. Both shots were about identical. I did not misjudge the range because I know the range and I've hunted this area forever.

I'm going to shoot in the yard later and shoot normal and then try picking my head up to see if the arrows hit high.

That or was just doe fever and I lost concentration and didn't pick a spot well enough.

Oh well, at least it was 2 clean missed. But now I've lost some confidence where my confidence was very high prior to the choke, I mean chokes, with an S. LOL

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrgh! Missed a chip-shot...twice! Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Same mis-fotune here.

Missed twice this year. Two seperate doe, two seperate nights. One spot and stalked from 40 yards to 18 yards, shot high.

One set up in a natural ground blind, shot high again.

I was keeping my head straight up and down, and not burying my face into the shot..

Next one is done for!

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
To be honest it happens to everyone at one time or another.

Make sure when you practice that you are doing it to mirror your hunting. If you are sitting in a chair while hunting make sure you practice from a chair.

Good luck

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Yup, I practice from a chair, sometimes wearing all my camo, I have a practice broadhead, etc.

Everthing in that aspect was fine. My breakdown was between my ears and thus my form.

I just want to figure out if I pickup up my head.

I have a little mantra I say in my head right before a shot that's "full draw, focus, follow thru". I may have to add "head down" and make my mental mantra "head down, full draw, focus, follow thru".

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Instead of picking a spot your brain did it for you but on the horzontal line of the backbone which contrast with the deer and background.Don't ask me how I know.Kip

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
I won't ask how you know LOL, I just want to know how to correct it and get my mojo back. LOL

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
As soon as I see them coming, I have to control my  breathing: 3 seconds in, 3 seconds hold, 3 seconds out; remember to pick and concentrate on my spot; keep my head down before I start to draw.  I don't claim to be very good at doing this.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline short slugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I had a buck last year at 5 yds. with me sitting on a stool in a ghillie suit. I could not have been given a better set-up of where I wanted the deer to stand ,and then have the deer look away from me, then given plenty of time to draw without being seen. He looked like my target standing there! I had him "skinned and photographed" in my mind as I looked at his head turn away from me. I was watching his head as I drew in my "can't miss shot", and shot right over his back! All at 5..Five...5 yds!!!!! I could have wrapped my bow around a pine and hung myself with the bow string. DISAPPOINTED!!! How could I miss at 5 yds? But it was for good laughs to my friends and sons as I retold the story. It has made me focus better and pick a spot. But I will take it to the grave!
Tony!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
As above.  remember to pick a spot, not the whole deer.  Happens to all of us, just some more often than others   :banghead:  
ChuckC

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Don't forget, she dropped some at the shot also...no doubt...they all do it.
You probably jsut need to pick a very low spot nxt time, and like you said bear down.
I missed tons of deer/pigs till I started picking a very low heart shot, now it's almost always meat in da freezer.
Good luck!

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Don't think to hard about it. Just do what comes natural....just like what you've been doing when your practicing and burn a spot!

I can relate! I missed two shots 15 minutes apart two weeks ago at two does. I did the same thing as you....I shot just over both deer at 22yds. Later the third deer came through and I made sure I picked my spot and followed through. It works! If you let it!
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Bummer, it happens! On a good note at least your arrows should be in the same spot, if you find one you should find both!    :pray:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline del

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Congrats on the twins!  I got identical girls.

Offline medic77

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
I have missed this year at 5yds also.  I can honestly say I have never shot at anything at that range.  I just flat saw brown and let go.
You're Off to Great PLACES!
      Today is YOUR day!
You're MOUNTAIN is Waiting.
  So....Get on Your WAY!  - Dr. Seuss

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
Dont get down on yourself. We all miss.

With twins just soak up your 1st day in the field!!

TIP: If you have (or know someone who has) a metal detector that can help find the arrow under the leaves etc. This has worked for me.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
You didn't pick a spot.TWICE  :bigsmyl:  
Probably because you were thinking, "This is a gimme!" or something like that.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Don't lose confidence in your self. This one is simple, you were looking at to many hairs. Pick ONE and shoot for it... Good Hunting

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I will take the occassional clean miss over wounding one any day.

You're doing everything right by practicing regularly, and practicing with hunting gear and hunting clothes. Too often buck fever impedes conscious thought.  Which is why muscle memory and taking the time to consciously prepare while the deer is approaching can be so important.  I also agree with Curtiss, over-confidence can lead to rushing things.  

Bottom line: keep you chin up, and keep fling'n arrows!  Good luck the rest of the season!

Manolito
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
Hey man haven't we all missed that "chip sot" one time or another? I did twice last year and had tag soup all winter. Don't let it get you down. That's hunting, enjoy it!
Much more importantly, congratulations on your new twins!   :clapper:  I bet everytime you look at them they make you forget about that "chip shot".  
God has his own ideas on how to tell you, "you done good"   :clapper:
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
When are people going to start believing in gravity swells ? What is it going to take ????

It can't be US !!!!

My opinion on this ?  - missing twice is not even close to a record !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©