3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrgh! Missed a chip-shot...twice! Opinions?  (Read 438 times)

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrgh! Missed a chip-shot...twice! Opinions?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
The deer reacted to the sound of your bow...without a doubt.  It will happen alot more than not, especially at close range.  I think the spot I am gonna pick is the marshmellow patch or 2 inches behind the elbow.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
Last Saturday morning I spotted a smallish 7 pointer at about 100yds, since I handn't got to hunt much the last couple of years, I decided to try for him. I got within about 40yds when he decided to come right to me. At 15yds he turned broadside and walked a few yds giving me a perfect quartering away shot at under 15yds which I promtly missed by shooting over his back by that same 2" margin. After I had a good laugh at myself I retreived my arrow and then center punched a leaf on the ground at 30yds. Maybe I let him get to close!!

Opinion:  Concentrate on a lower spot!  :goldtooth:

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Don't let it get you down.  Anyone who has killed lots of animals with trad gear will have a similar story(s).  I think that's why we love this stuff.  Sometimes its like witchcraft...just can't figure it out.  Good thing is, you'll probably get another chance soon!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
A couple years back I missed two very nice bucks traveling together early in the season. One jumped in between two trees, framed in literaly and I shot under, the next went in the same spot and I shot over.  Later on a small yearling doe stepped in the same lane and I drilled her! Smaller target and just shook my head. Some days it just goes like that, don't beat yourself up!!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
I went to a three finger under anchor and it helped my high shots alot. Been there done that.

Offline BlackDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
Yep, it happens. If you don't remember picking a spot, you probably didn't.

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
the closer the shot,the easier the miss.most of us practice at "say"12/20 yards,i,shoot the most from 15/20 yards,my bow is point on at 20.the first 2 3-d competition shoots we had this year,i missed the alligator,and the cougar at 5 yards.nailed the bobcat and groundhog out to 15/18 yards.go figure.i think we take the chip shot for granted,and really forget to concentrate.tmoaisti.robert  :banghead:    :archer:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline FrozenFew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Don't feel bad  I did a similar thing on a 130 incher at 11 yards monday night. Shot at the whole deer and put it under him by six inches.  It came together pretty fast and wasn't in a normal rythym but instantly knew I didn't pick my spot!

Same deer that jumped my string last year at 20 like it was a joke.  So much for having the last laugh!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
I wouldn't let it worry you. Next time just pick a spot and concentrate. It's nothing like a few years ago when I missed 3 (count'em THREE) 8 pointers in the same day. They kept getting bigger as the day went on but I ran out of day before I got to one I could hit.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
My guess is it was a combo of lifting your head, and not picking a hair to split.

My guess is you were also DUE for a miss...or two.

An hour after you left the stand, she spent alot of time sneaking and sniffing, trying to figure out what happened. If she caught your scent, then she is really gonna be watchin' for ya' next time.

Cool story.

Thanks, it brought a smile.

Congrats on the twins...never a dull moment around your house...and it only gets busier  :D  
and better.  ;)  

Hope you find your Flames.

I`m betting, you won`t kill that doe there without some big time LUCK on your side now.

God I love bowhunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©