3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are Grizzly Stik shafts worth the $?  (Read 276 times)

Offline Jon Paulding

• Trad Bowhunter
Are Grizzly Stik shafts worth the $?
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »
I am considering grizzly stik Alaskan shafts for elk hunting out of my 55# Black Widow PMA. Could those of you who have used these shafts weigh in on your experience with them? Are they worth the money? Thanks for your input, Jon

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are Grizzly Stik shafts worth the $?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
I sell the shaft so you may want to consider that as I give my opinion.

Worth the money?  That is a tough question.  Are they a good shaft?  I say "yes."  I got a half dozen 2 years ago to hunt with and I shot them all deer season and through the indoor archery league.  I never broke any of the 6.  I switched to something different because I am always experimenting.  I ended up selling the arrows to a customer and I wish I hadn't.  

There are other effective ways to get a heavy, extreme front of center balance arrow, but the GS Alaskan are a choice I can recommend.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
I have shot them and I will say just like lostnation said they are a good shaft.  Fortunatly for me they were my uncles because I just can't see spending that much for arrows, I just don't have the budget for it.  Whether they are worth it or not is up to you.  Only you know what your budget is and how well you like the shafts.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
There is another thread on these arrows. Do yourself a favor and look at it before buying them- Steve

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline Shleprock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Here's the thread.
Kota5-----                                    "The arrow has always been a keen thought and the bow always an expresion of hope. By these means freed thoughts fly." Dean Torges

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
The Alaskans are good tough arrows that can drive you crazy if you don't put the nocks and fletch on right and the same for all the shafts. I still have a half dozen of the originals I hunt with.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
I have shot the Alaskans out of a 58# longbow for over 2 years now and I am very happy with them.  I've shot alot of carbons, and out of the box these have been by far the most durable for me.  I love em, but still experiment alot, nature of the beast!  I feel there are a bunch of good carbon choices out there, but yes I like them and have turned some people on to them, most liked them, but a few had fits with them.  Not sure if this helped, but I recently bought a half dozen more here on the classifieds, so to me I guess they are worth the money I paid for them  :)  

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Look at the Easton Axis FMJ's instead.  They are tough as nails and a lot cheaper than the Grizzly sticks.  I shot one with 275 grains up front into a rebar upright that was holding up a 3d target at 20 yards.  Flattened the tip on the field point and blew the nock out of the back of the arrow.  No other damage.  I put the nock back in the arrow and replaced the field point and the arrow shoots great.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:24:00 AM »
I like them and they are still cheaper then bullets
lll

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
I love my Alaskans. I like it even better when folks buy em and spend weeks playin with them and then sell them for alot less, bought last doz at Denton Hill for $35.00! I have had no luck bareshafting these things at all. The trick is cut one to your size and fletch as your other shafts and let fly. Never had one that did not fly yet. I shoot them with 300gr up front and they fly out of every bow I have from 53# up to 75#.
hunt it

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
They had/have blems on sale now.  I picked up some Sitkas to play with.

Didn't come with instructions, and found that when cutting them to size, its probably best to take off the front because if you shorten the tail the knocks won't be tight enough.  I ended up taking a little off the front and back to get to required length.  Because they are tapered you need to pay special attention to getting a straight cut when chopping them to avoid having to even them up.

Other than that, they seem to be shooting just fine.  My 57@28 Silvertip is shooting 28 7/8" Sitkas, with the 75gr insert, 175gr heads.  They bareshaft about 2" weak, but fletched with 4x4" RH parabolics, they are dead on.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
I have shot them for several years.  
Are they expensive ?... yes  

Do they perform well ?   YES  

Do they seem to perform well on a fairly big range of bow weights ?   yes  

Can you get decent FOC and weight using them ? YES    

Are they worth the cost?   only one that can decide that is you.  Lots of us use them.  Lots of us don't.
ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
David (Huntit)  I was able to get them to bareshaft well by using  like   125 - 135 grains up front,  even at the shortest possible shaft length (for me) .  That said,  with fletching on them, I have them rigged up with 290 grains up front and they fly very well.  It is amazing what feathers on the back of an arrow does for flight stabilization !
ChuckC

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
I love the Woodies. I shoot them out of my 54# Blacktail and she loves them. I like the 500's
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I shoot the Sitkas cut 28.5", out of my 47#@28 Thunderstick III and they bareshaft tuned excellent with the 75gr insert and 2 of the 50gr brass weights attached to the inserts, and a 300gr head. The fly like bullets and sink deep into my bag target.  

Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline CEO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »
I have some Alaskans which I like; however, I have switched to AD Traditionals which I like more. For me, the ADs fly better and are more durable. The ADs are American made. The Alaskans come with a Made in China sticker. Just something to think about?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I use the Safaris. They are the only shaft that I can easily front-load to buffalo weight for my heavy, cut-past-centre recurve. They fly well, and hit hard. I have broken about six over the years having hit dirt, and my mate broke one when he borrowed it to finish a feral animal and hit the shoulder - they seem to fracture readily along the insert on glancing blows. But, I've had quite a few Safaris, so it isn't too bad. Whenever I go after buffalo in the future with my heavy recurve, I'll have Safaris in the quiver. For normal animals using my deflex/reflex longbow, my favourite shaft was the CX350, as they were half the price, still front-loadable (but not to buffalo standards), and a bit stronger.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
I like the GrizzlyStiks a lot, but I think the Arrow Dynamics shafts are better. I shoot all the AD shafts from the Trad Lites to the Hammerhead Trads. ADs are my favorite shafts. Alaskan Bowhunting Supply is a great organization and has some of the best equipment made. The Schliefs are super people who go out of their way to assist traditional archers. Almost all of the ABS products are outstanding, and I have many of them. For instance, no one makes a better broadhead than the Ashby or the Nanook that are exclusive to ABS. I hope that TradGang members support ABS, and I can't argue with anyone who wants to shoot the GrizzlyStiks; however, the ADs get my vote for the better shaft.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©