3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: mornings vs. evenings  (Read 499 times)

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
mornings vs. evenings
« on: October 15, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
was wondering when your success happens?  my schedule allows me hunt mostly in the evenings, and rarely in the morning.  just curious.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: mornings vs. evenings
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
I have killed more nice bucks in the evenings than in the morning.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Evenings.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
I have taken more deer in the evenings, but better bucks in the morning, especially during the rut.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
I love evenings.
Since deer and hogs like crepuscular light (usually), I feel my chances decrease with increasing daylight, and improve with decreasing daylight.  It is a confidence factor for me.
My anticipation level rises as the light decreases and decreases as the light increases.
The darker it gets, my anticaption rises until I can't see to shoot.  The lighter it gets, the more "antsy" I get and want to go back to camp and eat breakfast!
And most of my success has come in the fading light of evening.
No science here, just prefer and have had most success just before dark.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
I have killed more deer in the mornings than evenings but I hunt more mornings.
I think the best hunting can be in the evenings though and it does get more intense as the light fades. The downside is it is usually 90 degrees and many of the deer will run and I end up tromping around in the dark trailing and cleaning deer.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
I love hunting evenings.  I don’t have to get up early to get out.  But I would much rather recover a morning shot deer.

I would say it is a toss up.  Often it depends on where I hunt.  I have two spots where I have shoot 9 in the mornings and only one at night. The area I grew up in, and have hunted all my life, I shoot about equal morning and night.  For bucks it is definitely mornings during the prerut and rut.  If you hunt in travel areas between doe bedding areas or down wind of a good doe bedding area you will get a lot of buck movement late morning to mid day.  I think it is the best time to catch a buck on the move in a pressured area.  He can stay in bed until dark, but it is hard to leave the ladies alone when the sun first comes up.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
I have seen more deer in the evenings but have hunted more evenings.  I have seen better bucks in the morning and prefer to hunt the morning.

I like it because of the anticipation of seeing animals after the light comes up.  Also when it is still dark and you have animals all around, it's priceless.  Definitely my favorite time to hunt.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
I am like many of you, I had seen more deer in the evenings and prefer to hunt then, but it seems like i have killed more deer in the morning.  I'm not sure why, maybe just dumb luck.  Of course I am yet to get my first trad bow kill, so that may change as I get deeper into this.
>>>--------->

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Don't forget mid-day awesome time to catch a buck cruising for does  :D  

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Coonbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Seem to be the odd man out on this one. I kill more bucks in the morning than I even see in the evenings. 8:30am is my witching hour. I think it has to do with were you hunt relitive to the feeding -bedding area distance. My go to stand is almost right between the two. If I sneek into my stand before first light and bump deer that are bedded I might as well turn around and go home. They returned to bed early and I won't see hardly a deer. Full moon seems to get me the most. By the way, I really hate getting out of a nice warm bed! But I really like shooting deer more!!
  GLENN

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
I like mornings, catching the deer half asleep from being up all night.  ;)
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
K.S trapper got it. I have seen more mature deer in the middle of the day than any other time, especially during the rut. Mornings have been better for me than evenings. Matter of fact I don't think I have ever seen a mature buck on an evening hunt in the last five years. I do hunt a bit more often in the mornings than the evenings.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
I enjoy evening hunts better, but see and kill more deer in the early mornings. Like others have said, the later it gets in the evenings, the better I feel my chances are. The later the mornings get, the less confindent I feel seeing game.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
I haven't harvested a deer yet but, I've seen most of my deer early morning and some mid afternoon. Not too many in the evenings for some reason.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Is it legal to hunt them in the morning?    :eek:  

I am always up at the crack of 11 - and I hunt evenings.   :readit:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
I always liked evenings best and see more deer in the evenings. For me I think it is the areas I hunt, mostly food sources. Deer are pretty predictable on coming to food if you have found the right food source in the evenings. Not so much in the mornings and I often run them off going in in the morning. Now that I work evenings and mostly hunt mornings I need to learn to hunt mornings better.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Deer seem less alert in the mornings.

If you can get in position without spooking them, I think mornings are best.

Offline jfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Had this same discussion with a long time hunting partner just the other day.  For years (30+) I favored evenings for the same reasons mentioned above.  

However, after considering the best hunts and best buck sightings I have switched to favor mornings.  Even though I have clearly hunted far more evenings over the years and shot plenty just before dark I must admit I have seen more bucks, better bucks during morning hunts.  
  Theres no question I would rather sleep in, stay warm and hunt evenings, but my past experience is pushing me out of the rack early.

As far as the best hour?  For me it's 9am can't tell you how many bucks show up around that 9am hour.

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
I have learned I can hunt many more consecutive days if I hunt in the evenings.  I, like most folk, am up until 10-11pm anyway.  I am not up at 4:30am normally.  Too many consecutive days of 4:30am will wear me out.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©