3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wisconsin deer hunt structure  (Read 523 times)

Offline TimRadke

• Trad Bowhunter
Wisconsin deer hunt structure
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
Did anyone else read the proposed deer hunt structure in 2010?It would start a 16 day gun deer season a week earlier - during the peak rut - as well as adding multiple other gun seasons during the current bow season.  Early muzzleloader, late muzzleloader, youth hunts, doe hunts... Please read up, form your own opinion and be vocal.  Wisconsi dnr website has more info and a place for your comments.
Byron Ferguson Patriot
58# @ 28"

RER XR
49# @ 26"

>')///><            <-------[[[[

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wisconsin deer hunt structure
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
Tim,
  Did you fill out the survey?  Everyone that bow hunts in WI needs to.  Here's the link.

http://doa.wi.gov/DNRSurveys/TakeSurvey.aspx?SurveyID=8l0H992

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Yeah I got the email from Whip this morning! Kinda scary if you ask me! I voiced my opinion on the subject via the website!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Nate Fikkert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Already done, and I sent an email to everyone I could telling them to to voice there opinion.  Most I know are opposed.  I hope that is the case all over.

Nathan

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
Already have some of what your saying in Pa. It is not much of a archery season when you have to wear blaze orange for almost half the season because of gun hunters.

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
I also filled out the survey on the website.All they want to do is desimate the deer herd.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline QUINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 05:36:00 AM »
I also filled it out. Another bad idea from Wisconsin DNR.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 06:12:00 AM »
you can thank the WBH( wisconsin bow hunters) for that they  backed and helped get that, really a smart move
Make a life, not a living

Offline guzzi2000

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Badger. Filled it out with the comment that I'm seriously considering selling my land and hunting out of state. I'm not seeing near as many deer as I had just a few short years ago. My land is located in Douglas Co.
"Our arrows will blot out the sun." "Then we will fight in the shade."

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
Survey sent.  Almost makes me glad I live in Illinois.  We are going to be sharing our last week of bow season with gunners this year.  The first of many changes, I'm sure.  This Wisconsin deal just makes no sense at all when the kill is down and the car/deer accidents are way down.  Makes you wonder who the WDNR is working for.

Offline snufer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
We have to have one of the most retarded, idiotic DNRs in the country, after deer season ended last year and everyone was complaining about the lack of deer, the DNR admitted that their count may have been off, now they lay this crap on us because there are too many deer! I will complete the survey, but have no faith that it will help.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Looks like it is time to move.

I have seen deer this year so far in my normal spots, when usually (past 15 years) I would have a shot opportunity at least once every two days.  This is on public grounds.    

Course,  I very nearly hit a deer with my truck driving home from stand last week.
ChuckC

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Have I lost all my rights as a Wisconsin taxpayer?  I own 80 acres in the CWD zone.  I  can not run my dogs, I must be ever vigilant while cutting wood or walking in my woods due to the extinction program the DRN has enforced so far.  I got more lead on my land form hunters, then Mineral Point has Galina!!!  I enjoy the peace of the forest and I like to bow hunt.  I moved here and pay ridiculous amounts of taxes ... for what!?!?!!?  So the DNR can Defile my woods with ridiculous hunting seasons and look the other way when violators trespass or shoot in my yard!  Enough already!!!  I am vehemently opposed to this proposal!!!

After all, the DNR is about money, NOT conservation ... that is extremely disheartening!!!

It is just so damn sad.  It is a quality of life issue for me, it is an insurance money issue for them.

Sorry for the rant, just tired of this.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I am glad I don't live in Wisconsin.

Offline TimRadke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
I did fill out the survey.... Notice they only want comments under 100 characters?
Byron Ferguson Patriot
58# @ 28"

RER XR
49# @ 26"

>')///><            <-------[[[[

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Done.  I posted this in the comments section.

This is so backwards and such a misleading effort at this point in time it is sad and suggests our deer management leadership has bigger problems than this right now.  EAB is a management tool that may or may not be effective for herd management.  Yet we don't know the size and location of the herd therefore we don't know the problem and cannot judge how effective this tool or others could be.  

I could have offered more, but with only 100 words that is the best I could do.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I tell ya when this economy pics up I'm out of here..job transfer.  They've taken a great resource and ruined it.  Last year was the worse year I've spent hunting in along time.  If this goes through I'll be spending my hunting time and money out of state..this state already gets more money from me than they should. When they talk about declining hunter numbers they can blame themselves and not the Evil Video games. I also filled out the survey..opposed.

Offline MAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Be care what you wish for.  It was very short sighted to get the legislature involved to eliminate EAB.  That guarantees a longer gun hunt.  But the traditional opening 16 day season being pushed as an alternative will also have to include a statewide Oct muzzleloader hunt (because it affects the Dec ML hunt).  I believe it is the goal of some groups and the legislature that this becomes either sex.  And you thought the T-zones were bad.  The original proposal by the WBH included the Oct ML season as either sex.    This was posted all over but I have a copy if anyone wants it.

We all know what happened last year, but EAB was not the problem.  Deer kill dropped up to 50% in many areas that have never been in EAB.  The smarter move which was offered was to modify EAB so it wouldn’t be used unless it was absolutely necessary.  These mods included raising the implementation criteria from 20% to 50% over goals, outside review of all population estimates, allowing the sale of stickers, and not more that 2 years in a row.  These changes were rejected by the WBH and others which sets up a 16 day season, neither one is good for bowhunting.  

Personally I’d rather lose a week at the end than let gun hunters have 5 days in Oct to hunt bucks (which would be this weekend btw).   But I really prefer to keep EAB and the current 9 day season but those hunting organizations who marched to the capital to get rid of EAB don’t want you to have that option.  They are pushing the trad 16 day w/ Oct ML hunt but EAB is still on the table.   Heck over 50% the DMUs outside the CWD zones have never been nor ever will be in EAB. Those are all predominately public lands which should tell you where the problem is, so why do we have to have all these statewide changes?

If you want to keep any semblance of the current bow season you should support EAB with mods, fixing the SAK that was recommended but not yet implemented, and oppose the Oct ML season under any circumstance.  Or else we will end up like Colorado with a ML hunt in the middle of bow season that we’ll never get rid of.  Plus a 16 day gun season, and maybe EAB too after all that proves not to work for herd control on private lands in 2-3 years when the herd rebounds.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
I agree.  Earn A Buck, even with all the gripping about it, was not the problem.  The real problem is the unreliable deer herd estimates and SAK.  Earn A Buck is just a tool to accomplish goals, misguided as they may or may not be.  At least with EAB there was hope that someday it could go away when the numbers are either adjusted to reflect reality or the herd finally meets the DNR's approval.  If those happen EAB goes away.
This new proposal will be with us for a long time to come and bowhunting in Wisconsin will not be the same.  I wonder if some of those gun hunters want to buy some hunting land?  Mine will probably go up for sale if this goes through.  And that makes me very angry.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
My obesrvations tell me the area I hunt in Wisconsin has had a reduction in deer numbers, a substantial reduction. Minnesota hunts two weeks prior to Wisconsin (during the rut). Join your local clubs and state archery orginizations - why go at it alone.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©