3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dealing with wind  (Read 491 times)

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Dealing with wind
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
I have a couple stands that will work for any wind but a north wind. We typically get a south east wind most of the time. As of late the wind has been out of the N NE and NW and this just doesnt work. What do you do to combat this situation I havent hunted in 3 days and looks like 3 or 4 more days of a north wind  :mad:
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dealing with wind
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Hunting any stand with the "wrong wind" and trying to cheat the wind is a surefire way to screwup a location.

Are you only hunting out of treestands? If so, think about a natural ground blind for a north wind if there's no good tree's avaiable.

I hunt central NLP in Michigan. I have blind locations for every wind, but 70% are set for S, SW, W or NW because my log book shows that those winds are most typical for me. I will agree that in October, we rarely get a straight north wind.

But we always get some SE, E and NE winds whenever a front from the west comes in and sucks the air to the low pressure.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
I deal with it by using climbing stands.  

I bet some folks are saying that "climbers don't work here" but I have hunted in a lot of places and if you know how to use your climber, it is amazing what you can do.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I second the climber as a good option. If you have one.

Don't try and cheat the wind and screw up your spots.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I also agree with the climber option, and as stated by everyone else, you can't cheat or forget about the wind anytime you hunt, period.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Plan your stands and then "work your plan"....LOL

In my area of eastern MO we have a prevailing SSW wind until Oct/Nov then changes to NNW through the winter.  Set all your stands using a compass taking account of your areas prevailing winds.  I check the weather sites everyday for hourly wind direction before I pick a stand.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I set my stands for the normal wind it just hasnt been normal, I use both treestands and ground, you cant just walk downwind into your area and get up in a tree you will blow the area out. I cant approach one area from the opposite  direction  no access. this wind just isnt normal for this long of a peroid thats all.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Construct a gound blind using natural vegetation & deadfall. Doesn't take much to conceal yourself leaving plenty of shooting room. Quick & easy and the wind is right.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
Spot and Stalk!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 01:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by lt-m-grow:
I deal with it by using climbing stands.  

I bet some folks are saying that "climbers don't work here" but I have hunted in a lot of places and if you know how to use your climber, it is amazing what you can do.
Care to share some of your tips with us?

Offline FrozenFew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
What is the reason the wind makes the stand no good?  Are you hunting a field edge? Travel route?  I find that with every stand there is usually only one wind that is wrong, sometimes slightly wrong will yeild better results than perfect.  I worry more about the wind when I am moving then when I am stationary and when its a big problem, you can always try to come at your stand a different way!  Fact is that the wind always blows one direction, there is rarely a perfect setup. Deer use the wind to their advantage when moving almost 90% of the time, you may just have to take a couple calculated risks. To get the big boys you have to typically just edge them out by a couple of degrees!  Just some food for thought maybe this will give you a couple of ideas. I wish I had a telestrator feature on here and I could give a couple of examples

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
With the proper clothing you can "forget the wind and just hunt"  :rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
I strive to set stands around the property that can be hunted from "any" wind.

IE: Certain stands are set up for NW wind and others for a SE wind etc.

I try to NEVER hunt a stand on the wrong wind. Hunting the wind and being more careful about how I get into my stands have been the biggest changes I have made lately.

Both changes have helped me see more deer, more often, with closer encounters.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Stillhunting is a great option.  Play the wind, stay warmer.  Life is good.

Offline bowmofo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Deer like to walk into the wind. If you can stay away from a direct line you are better off. as always scent elimination is key.
KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
I never "set" a stand until I am ready to hunt. .  slip in. .  hunt. . . slip out.  Lone wolf and sticks- up in easily under 7-8 minutes.  I can put it up where I want.  Only need one stand too!  Been doing this for 15 years. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Is the wind consistent throughout your entire property?  Land contours, trees and vegetation, etc. can dramatically affect how a certain wind direction reacts in certain spots.  The wind can form eddys and change directions completely at certain spots.  Sometimes moving a stand 50 or 100 yards in a different direction can result in a completely different wind direction.  There is a lot more to wind direction than what the weather forecast has to say.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »
I've got simular problems. Not so much picking the right stand for the current wind but swirling winds and deer coming in from any and all directions at the same time. I'm a little bit limited in that I'm only hunting 20 acres and can only get onto the adjacent 40 acres to scout so I'm not exactly sure what the deer are doing once they leave my place. ie. bedding just across the property line or what but I sure can't put a pattern on it. The deer seem to show up at close to the same time each day but theres not telling from which direction they will come from. I'm just doing my best at scent elimination and getting in a tree long before I expect them. to come thru
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Remember the right wind for you isn't the right wind for a mature buck.Mature bucks exspecialy pressured ones.Keep the wind in their favor 95% of the time.
   So I fine a bend in the trail where for a short distance you have the wind in you favor.The buck has no choise but to use the trail for that short distance.You have to be able to go to and leave and be undetected while your there.Only hunt the right wind and right time of the year.I've had 6 of these stand sites in 40 years.These places stay good year after year.
  These places are hard to scout out.But when found are killer stand sites.You will see and they will produce bucks each and everytime there hunted.
   And calling there unbeiveable hunting sites.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©