3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY southern zone  (Read 7976 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY southern zone
« Reply #260 on: November 25, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
I have been quietly thinking that deer may be somewhat cyclical like bunnies and such.Im seeing more bucks this year than doe but close to the same as every other year.My agricultural area is slightly below capacity which is what the farmers want.My big woods are in Herkimer is about the same as last 6 years.More coyotes and porcupine than deer.Im still having as much fun as the 20 doe days.If you remember, back in those days a 100" 8 pointer was a rare creature around here.I think were closer to a healthy deer herd than we were back in the high density days and I think we are on the rise right now.

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: November 25, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
My 2 cents... My area has "ample deer" as well.. Still get a few every year. No young deer and occasionally i will take a doe. This year has been very slow. Now some areas still have hotspots.However if you want to get a feel for the herd its very simple. Drive around the Southern tier and look in the fields. The number of deer sightings is NOTHING compared to 7 years ago or more. Last week opening day we got a late start and left the house at first light and headed down 390, from Rochester past Dansville. We counted a total of 6 deer, all in one field. Not one deer running across the roads etc... on opening a.m of shotgun. This has become common place. Places where we used to see deer at any time of the day or night have dried up,period. Coyotes,nuisance permits,to manyDmps etc.. have destroyed some of the best hunting around.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: November 25, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Terry, you are absolutly correct. that was a blanket statement I made and I'm sure there are areas in the state that still need every hunter to kill as many as they can, but those places are few and far between. My main point is that people, hell hunters, need to use their heads. I'm not against taking does at all. I took one myself this year. As long as people realize that for every mature doe they take out, there will be 3 less deer to be seen the following year. If people are ok with that then more power to them. What I am pissed about though is the state's willingness to sell extra tags in an effort to raise revenue with what I consider complete disregard for the resource . I was at Wally world last night and found out there are still tags available for my area. that NEVER happened this late in the season before. Let's be honest here. There are people who will kill every animal they can if they can justify it by saying the state gave them a tag so it must be ok, right?

In that last 5 years I have seen way more bucks than does every year. I had a great year this year with 14 different bucks seen during archery, and several were seen multiple times. I only saw 12 does though and only 5 of those were mature animals (not fawns). That doesn't bode well for the herd around me. it seems to be a theme this year too. Friends, relatives and work associates are all echoing similar concerns from all corners of the state.

I'm glad some here have hunting grounds with such an abundance of animals. I just don't think that is the norm and the reason for the disparity is ineptitude if not dam near criminal behavior on the part of the state DEC. Sorry, that's just my honest opinion.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: November 25, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Brent, you won't get an argument out of me for what you are saying.  The same thing is happening back in my home state of Indiana. The DNR (DEC) is trying to control the herd on a county by county basis and that is still too big. Besides, I don't know if they actually get their feet on the ground and see what the herd looks like. Seems to me more about how many complaints they get from farmers, insurers etc. They then use that to set the permit quota.  The DEC is faced with a difficult problem. How do you manage the herd that has such a varied use/pressure? Heck, within a 2 mile square you can have extremely heavily hunted public ground and also a sanctuary that is over run with deer?  I've not been in NY long enough to know what the herd used to be, so I can't intelligently speak on the relative health of the herd. Again, I'm extremely fortunate to have a few good places to deer hunt and for that I am Thankful!  Which, brings me to the next point!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Cherish your time with your family, friends, and faith!  If you are able to get a hunt or two in I wish you the best of luck and shoot straight and be safe!

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
You too Terry, and I want to see a picture of that bobcat when you finally get it mounted. Happy turkey day folks.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Here's a picture of the little buck I shot this morning.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I hunt Hamilton,Fulton,Montgomery, Scoharie,Schdy, and Madison counties.With 87 hours in the woods this year I have now seen 4 deer. I killed a doe this AM on deer management permit, Used a gun. I have not shot a deer since Nov 2000 and that was up north. All I now is I see less deer everywhere I hunt, even driving around I used to see deer in evening and early in the AM and now I don't. I'm retired and spend more time than ever, have PM'ed a few guys on this sight and I know I'm not the only one who thinks somethings wrong.   ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: November 25, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
dang Terry, that's a heck of a spike! You're right about one thing, you are blessed.  ;)
Congrats!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: November 25, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
By the way Indianabowman...nice deer!!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: November 25, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
Ok guys! I was having some fun and yanking your chain. Those are the antlers off of a deer my son shot last weekend in Indiana.  You can see from the photo below that they are detachable! : )

His buck was a 140" with 20" spread, my other son shot a 176" buck two years ago, and I have a few others around 150".  Just shows why I choose to pass good solid bucks around my grounds in NY. Someone else would get far more satisfaction from shooting them.  Not belittling the bucks in NY and I'm proud of any I shoot with trad gear, but dang they can grow some nice headgear with a few years of age.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: November 25, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
Terry Behave!   :clapper:    :biglaugh:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: November 25, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
Yes Mr. Moderator! : )  You are right! I better go take a nap again!

Ron or BB just let me know and I'll be happy to have you come hunt with me! Always room for a fellow trad shooter.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: November 26, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
This thread got me to thinking. I totaled up my logs that I have kept since 1998 in NY. I have hunted the same areas if that means anything.The numbers are only while I was on stand not walking,scouting etc.. The numbers surprised me.

1998-2009 Bowhunting Log
Average Hours Hunted 41.67
Average # bucks seen 6.97
        # does       10.08
        # unknown    2.25
Average # deer seen per hour .48

1998-2003
Average Hours Hunted 38.16
            # bucks   4.0
            # does    8.3  
            # unknown 2.67
Average #deer seen per hour .45    

2004-2009
Average Hours Hunted 45.16
           # bucks   8.67
           # does    11.83
           # unknown  1.83
Average # deer seen per hour .52
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: November 26, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
I also keep a journal, I did not do it deer per hour but per year. Since 1998 I have averaged 3 seen deer a year. I will admitt most of that time was in the Northern Zone {Adirondacks}. Deer populations are lower up there. There was a time in there{2002-2006} 4 years where I did not see a deer for the whole season, any place I hunted, north ,south , bow, gun and Black-powder.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: November 26, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Ron,

This log is from the southern zone. I have hunted the Northern Zone the last three years as well and seen two deer (both bucks) while in the North Country.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: November 26, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Please stop blaming the DEC.They dont shoot  the does .They just issue the permits.Its our own fault.25 years ago if I got a deer a season I was excited....now I average 5 a year.Stop shooting does  or stop complaining

Im part of the problem
Best
Bob
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: November 26, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I guess I should have included the fact that my deer sights have gone down since I started hunting more in the south. This year most of my outings have been with the bow in the soutern zone. Last year and the year before bowhunting has become number 1 for me. I may have to start bowhunting up north more..lol...

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: November 26, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
I don't shoot does..... I won't even except a free permit,let alone apply or pay for one.

Can I complain now?????  ;)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: November 27, 2009, 05:56:00 AM »
There seems to be a good herd in my area, I hear guy's complain but I saw more doe this bow season than I remember seeing in the past. We shoot them here, there is only so much feed to go around in the winter, if you don't take them nature will.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: November 27, 2009, 06:09:00 AM »
Theres a difference between complaining and stating what is going on. I have passed over 30 does,yearlings and 1 1/2 yr old bucks this year. Missed a nice 8 pt. My bow was off ....I am sure some are the same 2 doe groups. I dont think shooting 2 does over the last 10 years is the problem.  Of course i have had access to over 10 different spots and killed deer in each.(Maybe shooting 16 bucks is..) 25 years ago there were deer everywhere, in every woodlot, parcel and field.Anyone  could shoot several deer each season. Things have changed. I know of several hunting clubs, and camps who have managed and taken only a modest amount of deer year after year who now are  lucky to see 2-3 deer per year?   I'd rather be a bad hunter in a great spot than a great hunter in a bad spot.
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©