3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY southern zone  (Read 7972 times)

Offline Bob Macioch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY southern zone
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Yes Woodchucker you can complain   LOL
Hunt for you! Dont worry what others will say,if your happy with what you shoot who really cares what anyone else thinks.You will be happier in the long run and hunting will remain the fun way to get meat for your entire life.Enjoy the journey

Offline Lone archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
"A BETTER WAY

There are three cardinal rules in hunting wild life. Violate them and you risk becoming nothing more than a bloodthirsty butcher of life.

Preservation:  Never take the first animal you see.  Let it go.  The chances are you will see more.  If you do not see another all day, chances are your decision to allow the first to go free was a wise one.  It is obvious the population in the area is small and killing the first animal may be among the last you will see in that area for many years.  Do not be greedy in thinking "If I do not kill this one, someone else will."  Do not be lazy by thinking, "Oh gosh, should I continue to tromp around these woods all day?  This may be my last chance."   Do not rely on government bureaucrat so-called scientific population counts.  Do your part to keep a strong population by never killing the first in-season animal you see."      

I copied that from a website I visited.

Just because the state gives and sells doe permits does not mean you should whack every doe that walks past. I've hunt Long Island were the deer are way over populated and the taking of doe would be the responsible thing to do. I've hunted Westchester for years along with many friends. And because of the over issuing of doe tags and extra buck tag deer numbers are way down. Westchester use to be a mecca for big bucks now Long Island is. But I know of many hunters on Long Island taking 4 to 6 deer bucks included so far this season. It's just a matter of time before the effects of over harvest will cut the numbers and we'll be complaining what happened to the big bucks on LI.

It really is up to you and what you see in the vacinity you hunt if you need to take that doe or extra buck. For years I called a doe tag "save a deer tag" and would only fill it after I saw the numbers in my area during the hunting season. I haven't filled one in a long time. Thanks to the coyote, roadkill, gun season and hunters taking 3-6 deer, numbers have been on a steady decline.

"What you do to them - you do to yourself."

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Lone Archer very well stated ! I usually only shoot one deer a year. I will continue to hunt and if I see a once in a lifetime buck or a wounded deer I will take a second. Every year I get a pile of tags and toss them in the wood stove. By looking at my log the good old days are now !
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: November 30, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I actually think for individual's it depends on how things go...last yr I saw lots of bucks and had numerous chance's this yr LOL not so much however overall things are not what they were

It used to be I could drive around my block and see herds of 20-30 several of them in fact adding up to 100plus easy now there's no way I'd see that many in fact I'll go out on a limb and say a fella could drive my 4000 acre block everyday for a week and add up ALL siteings and still be way lower than what was waaaaaaay lower

OK so the herd is down it ain't all bad news...

Age structure has gotten way better because more folks choose to let the little bucks walk than they used to so your more likely to see a big one or 2 now than you would have 10-15 yrs ago

In the 30plus yrs I've been deer hunting around my home I've never found or heard of anybody finding deer that have died from starvation in the winter even when the herd was larger so I'd hafta believe that we are not above carrying capacity at all and we could have a larger herd AND the better age structure that we now have.

Less doe permits and perhaps antler restrictions could get us both the 2nd has been happening by choice now if only the first would as well. . .

ya know limit your take not take your limit
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: December 03, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
TTT, Anyone still hunting out there?????

Unfortunatly, I've been working almost non-stop,but I thank The Great One EVERY day that I HAVE a job that keeps food on the table.

(my hunting skills sure wouldn't have helped much this year LOL)
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: December 03, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
I have been trapping with Joe, pulled them last weekend will most likely get out on Sat.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Tdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: December 03, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Jim how's the trapping going..

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: December 03, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Doing good for our first year.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: December 03, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
I'm getting out on Monday Woodchucker...just not sure if I want to go upstate or stay here on Long Island.

Offline Ghost Dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: December 03, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
I agree with Lone Archer.  Just because you can shoot X amount of deer doesn't mean you should.  It is incumbent for hunters and angler to manage themselves since it is apparent the DEC would appreciate far less deer than we would like since they genuflect to the wealthy with their Banzai bushes with deer proof fences and the almighty insurance lobby. By filling every doe permit and then some, we are collectively acting as rubes and dupes for the above mentioned groups and agencies.

I take my meat and hunt for a trophy.  I pass on many deer each year because I want to see them next year.  Instead of donating vension, donate time and/or money to the poor you will feel much better.  TO ME, this is a false sense of altruism that works for the DEC. BTW, it was mentioned that no one has seen a deer starving in NY.  That can be said for people too.  I can say that I have yet to see a starving person that is devoid of mental defect and/or criminal conduct with NY's generous social programs.  I have worked in many extremely poor areas and can say this through personal experience.

I also see the same thing while fishing.  Few people eat i.e. bluefish, but they all must give them to the neighbor, uncle, distant cousin instead of letting them go.  However, these same people complain when there are none around.  More importantly, the same people don't give away the fluke, cod or blackfish to the neighbors.

In hunting as in fishing, limit your catch ... limit your kill and there will be enough to go around.  

Just my 2 cents.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: December 03, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Ill be out in the morning and this weekend,gonna get out as much as I can.The "honey do" list can wait 'til after the season.   ;)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: December 03, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
OK I am chiming in. I have shot quite a few deer over the years. I also have come to believe 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the deer. I am not saying the guys that o not kill deer are bad hunters but I believe it may be the amount of effort. I know Tom(Swampbuck)to be a good hunter but he has not had the time in the woods this year to be effective. I on the other hand have hunted everyday of the season except 2 and put my time in. I don't believe encon is at fault and I don't blame the lack of deer on guys like me who may shoot 5,6 or even 7 deer some years. Believe me there are quite a few guys like me. I believe the real culprit at least in the areas I hunt are the coyotes. I know of a couple dens that were found and excavated and there were parts from at least 27 different deer, several cats and even a dog or two found in these dens and all of the animals were believed to have beed killed in the 3 or 4 months prior to the den being found. I too could drive around a one square mile(roughly 640 acres) of my hunting territory several years ago and see 70-100 deer on a summers evening, but rarely if ever would see a coyote. I now take that same ride and see maybe 30 deer or so but guess what, I also see a couple coyotes pretty much every trip. That says something to me.  I know we can all point fingers and blame all the guys for shooting all the does or deer or encon for issueing al those permits, but me I am sticking to my guns and blaming the yotes!! I will say this the rut has been better in my area the last couple years because the buck to doe ratio isn't so out of whack and if I can stop shooting these 3.5 year olds I may kill a true monster someday and hopefully that is soon. Oh and Chuck, yes I am still hunting every chance I get both with bow and gun.  Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: December 03, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
Didn't get a chance to pull the bow back this year on a deer but i was about 50% with deer sigtings.  Haven't hunted NY enough to know what the status quo is.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Ghost Dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: December 03, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
I have personally seen the studies of coyote diet by Cornell, SUNY ESF and another person studying coyotes and their diet at the CUNY Graduate Center, and I can assure you that coyotes don't KILL as many deer as you may think.  Telemetry shows this also.  There is no doubt they are good hunters and they will deer if they can, but they are also furnished with plenty of roadkill and lost deer by hunters.  If they were that successful there would be no fawns left in the woods.

Hunters in NY kill over 222,000 reported deer not to mention the reported car kills in the number of over 30,000.  To assume that coyotes kill as many or more than hunters is not realistic.  6 yrs ago NY hunters killed 90,000 more deer.  

Hunters are the number one management tool utilized by DEC by NYSDEC and a low deer population causes less problems for them economically and overall.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: December 04, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Proper Land management is also an issue. With thousands of acres of State land that is set aside for public use it should be managed better. Just setting it aside for ever to be untouched is wrong. Its no different than a garden in your back yard. You have to weed it, care for it, and then harvest it and do that on a regular time table. Doing so would create cover and food for a host of critters including deer and small game. Just my thoughts...ron w  Thats in the Southern zone and in the Northern zone.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: December 04, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Thats fine to pass on the deer that you or someone who could really use the venison dont need but if we dont do our prescribed job of culling the herd ,Rosie, Ellen and the rest of the NY PETA folks will start to see how useful privately contracted sharpshooters are.Who knows, since feeding birth control laced vittles to doe is ineffective those 2 divas may spring for the coin to live trap buck and have them castrated!!!After that it will be any other male mamal walking the woods.We may already be on their list.  :scared:

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: December 04, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
I hear ya Izzy! Rosie and Ellen sure don't need intact males! : )

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
i always thought that it was odd that there are no check-in stations in NY. i live in MA, and when you shoot a deer you are required to bring it to the check station to be recorded.  :readit:  

i know for a FACT that almost every deer my friends shoot do not get called in..  :(   they DO rip their tags, and dont shoot more than the limit alows..( i dont agree with them) BUT, the fact remains that if NY thinks that x amount deer get killed by hunters every year. i bet you could add at least 50%, and that would be your real #.  :eek:  

get rid of the "call in" and make it manditory that you check themm in!

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

« Reply #298 on: December 04, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Reign it in, IndianaBowman.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: December 04, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Let's keep this thread on track so it doesn't get locked down, we still have a lot of hunting time left in the southern zone. It would be a shame to lose this thread   :readit:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©