3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: OLD LB ?  (Read 342 times)

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
OLD LB ?
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
just obtained an old LB that has been in the basement ceiling joist for who knows how long! Finish seems to have held up OK-no cracke,peals.

do i dare string it and shoot it? if so how do i "wake it up" from it's long sleep?

or do i hang it on the wall?

thanks guys

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: OLD LB ?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Pix? Markings & numbers? How old? Hang it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
no markings,50+/- yrs old

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Is it glass backed? Or linen backed? If it is a self bow you just have to make sure it is not dryed out to below about 7% moisture before you try to draw it. If it was dry in the basement you could keep it in the bathroom for a month or so and then try it.
The best thing would be to go to paleo planet and check with the experts, who also frequent the related forum here. Those guys have rituals that they use on old bows to get them going. I have an old yew long bow that came from michigan and it was allright.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Charlie, I would look it over for any cracks or seperations. If none found and everything seems good, let it sit in your home for a few days. this, to adjust to the enviroment.

Then if you have a proper string for it, string it at a low brace for a day or so. Slowly try to bring memory back to the limbs.

Then short draws and such. Always check the limbs for any cracks or such. Good shootin, you might bring new life to a old bow. What make is it, or pics would help. And check out the history section for more help. Good shootin steve

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
Charlie, I see you're in Michigan.  If you've already got the heat on in the house, just bringing it in might not help rehydrate it much.  Might even dry it out more.  Check with the guys at paleoplanet like already mentioned and see what they say.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©