3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fanny pack w/out suspenders?  (Read 648 times)

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
fanny pack w/out suspenders?
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
I'm wanting to go from a badlands super day pack to something smaller.  I have a fanny pack with a nice, padded waistbelt, but I'm hoping to drop the suspenders.  If one was elk hunting by walking 8-10 hours out of each day for 2 weeks, what kind of 'new' discomfort would one feel if I were to do this?  I have (9) various packs, and still can not get it right!  Thanks.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: fanny pack w/out suspenders?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Fanny packs usually give me a pain right where my back turns into my butt. The most comfortable pack that I have used is the Rancho Safari Catquiver 4, or some such number. I never have used the quiver part, and yes, the pack has shoulder straps, but it holds a lot and I forget that I have it on until I back it into a tree or summat.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I have been using a fanny pack without the suspenders and I won't again. The dang thing keeps sliding down and if I tighten it up enough so it doesn't slip its too tight for comfort.I want one with light weight shoulder straps.  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I've used a fanny pack without suspenders for years and never had a problem. Of course theres not much in it,I don't think it weighs more than a couple pounds full. I have the opposit problem,I can't stand straps over my shoulders!!!!! They interfear with my backquiver.

(besides,the fanny pack has a cool little loop to hang my butt cushion on)  :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I was using an old ALICE buttpack with a makeshift shoulderstraps rig.  I dropped the straps and hoped to get away with just the buttpack.  Worked terrible.  1 bottle of water would make it pull my britches down.  I'm gonna look at this cabelas one that Gatekeeper posted the link to...

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
It really depends on your personal body shape.  If your belly is bigger than your butt you are going to need the shoulder straps!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
I've got a Fieldline fanny pack with removable shoulder straps. I'm built like a egg so I kind of like using them.

It's a inexpensive pack that is good for holding all I need to Whitetail hunt around home.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
The shoulder straps will help distribute the weight. Of course, it all depends on what you carry. For elk hunting, I would want the straps, or else your hips are gonna hate you.

I use a fanny pack deer hunting, and a daypack elk hunting. A daypack with a good waist strap and chest strap will pread the weight off of your shoulders and make it feel much lighter.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
I have a fleece fanny pack and really like it.  It helps keep your lower back/kidney area warm in cold weather and you don't need any suspenders.  I suppose the suspender thing depends on belly overlap 8^).  I actually wear mine above my waist about level with the naval base 8^).  

Here's what mine looks like....it holds plenty for a days hunt.  It's a 5 pocket model and has a web belt with clip.

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
well,i for one have tried 2 so far this season.1. badlands monster fanny,to me was not comfortable at all.2.redhead dry ridge,think that was the model,dang thing would not stay in place for nothing. so now i'm back with my fieldline backpack that i used for the last 4 years.yeah it's a cheap one but better then the pricey ones to me anyways.
Richard Battistoni

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
Rich, the ones they are selling at Walmart now are pretty nice for $18.97.  They are branded Remington this year, but Fieldline makes them.

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
I have had a Bison Gear fanny pack with the suspenders for many years and would not have anything else. Most comfortable fanny pack there is.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
I second the Bison gear. I have had a heavy load in mine, and its still comfortable.
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »
Most of the time, I lengthen the straps and put my head and one arm through the loop and carry it diagonally across my back.  Last week I decided one day to wear it normal and got pinned down by a couple deer and couldn't move for about a half hour.  I was in horrible pain before they moved off.  The only thing holding the pack up was my multi-tool and cell phone clipped to my belt.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
A second on the fieldline packs...very tough for the money
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Canyon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
Guys I have to disagree in the fieldline packs. I have for years used the fanny pack from my original Dwight Schuh pack as my go to daily carry. After fieldline started making them the quality dropped and the one I received was sent back with multiple stitching issues the company never could get right.
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight;nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety;is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free,unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
I need the straps to hold it up. I have no butt.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
OB, I have two Western Hunter fanny packs from Buck's Bags out of Boise.  They are without doubt the best of that style I have seen.  The shoulder straps are removeable.  Great quality pack!  They have several styles of packs...www.bucksbags.com
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
I can't stand 'em without shoulder straps.  Pullin' it up all day while walkin' gets to me pretty quick.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©