3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How High  (Read 231 times)

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
How High
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I've always hunted in lower orbit 25'and up. After asking the crew general thought was 15' to 20' depending on location. It's takes some getting used to but I like the shot better. Do you folks get picked off in lower stands?

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How High
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Nope.  You get picked off from moving at the wrong time, not using cover, or not setting up right for the wind.  Shot angles are much better if you set your stand in the 12 to 18 feet range.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
All depend on the terrain, cover, tree canopy, etc. I used to hunt 25+, but since switching to trad, Im rarely over 20". I have one stand that isnt even ten feet off the ground in some thick cedars, and last year I had five deer within five yards at one point, and I forgot to pick a spot.
That low, I act like Im on the ground...move slow.

Being that high has its pros though. More movement is allowed, a wind swirl is less of a threat...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I hunt on high presured public land and with my expierience 20'+ and Predator grey camo has upped my shot oppertunity alot.  I think with unpresured Deer it may be different..I dunno

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©