3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: help me find a tree stand  (Read 649 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
help me find a tree stand
« on: October 17, 2009, 02:22:00 AM »
Okay,

A few years ago I had bought a hang on tree stand that I'm pretty certain was made by either Rivers Edge or Bear River and I think the model was the "Outfitters Edge".  I'm leaning towards Bear river.... I think....

The stand was rather unique as hang ons go.  It had no cables above the platform but instead had structure under the platform that formed an angled frame.  Where the platform met the tree, there were 4 spikes.  Two on the platform and two on the underframe about 4 or 5 inches below the platform.  You chained the stand to the tree with the platform vertical and then cammed it down horizontal.  The spikes would try to push the platform away from the tree but would just dig into the bark.  It was super solid.  I could jump up and down on the edges and it'd just bite deeper.  Not a light weight stand and a bit difficult to "one arm" it but just a good solid stand made of steel.  Anyway, I'd like to get another one as both of mine were stolen even though I had a padlock on the chain.

Any info would be appreciated.  Not looking for other stands, just info on this one.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: help me find a tree stand
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
Probably similar to the Climax at least.  The Climax is the most solid stand I ever found and I probably own 8 of them now.  Like you say, and little heavy, but I put my stands up and leave them for the season.  I want something rock solid and quiet and the Climax is that.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Yes Dave I remember them. I almost bought one, and wish I had. I think Bear river was bought out and probably made in china now and that model discontinued.

I have looked at the climax stand also , alot of guys like them. The under support is adjustable to tree lean, where the bear was a solid welded, under support.

I just read an old 1995 PBS article by Biggie about stands and that was he pick. Good shootin, Steve

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Well, the climax is kinda the same principle but doesn't appear nearly as solid in the pics.  I went to the bear river website and noticed that if you look at their logo, it's a treestand with a bear on it.  THAT is the stand I'm talking about.  Unfortunately, they don't appear to be making it any longer.  The climax looks pretty much like an old loc-on lem with an under brace and open platform.  Never cared much for the two lems I've had.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Dave, you could winch a pickup truck into a climax.  You won't find a more rock solid stand on the market today.  My #1 favorite "hang and leave" stand, probably have around a dozen of them right now.

R

Offline gordie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
can i put a plug in for the Screaming Eagle stands... 2 sizes available, excellent quality.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
amatrack makes one, I love my summit copperhead, but all  time fav is spirit by Loc on.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
The Climax is not like the LEM.  It is much more solid with a frame of square stock steel.  When you lock it into place on a tree it will NOT move.  I weigh about 230# and can't make it even wiggle no matter how hard I try.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
I got a few Climax stands this year. When I first unpacked one I thought the design was not going to be to my liking. I was WRONG.. These stands are rock solid.

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
Back in the mid '80s I bought several stands from Terry Walton, Quality Taxidermy in Salisbury NC.  Terry made his stands as a side line to his taxidermy and called it the
"Uwharrie".  It was identical to the "Climax" except the support arm had a stainless steel spike to poke into the tree.  A very solid stand once in place.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
I think it was the Bear River.. They where the ones who made the "Crotch Stand" that has become popular to chuckle about..
I had one of the crotch stands and was looking at the hang on you mentioned about the time they went out of business.
Looked like a great stand but never had one
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
I have seen Biggie #340 plus jump up and down in a Climax to set it..I weigh 260 clothed and jump up and down on mine......Solid..........
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
0i very possible have one of these stands to trade you let mr check the pole barn

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
yeah Dave, it's the Bear River.  I recognize the description.  I wanted one for quite a while and finally got one for $10 at the DNR's confiscated stuff auction this summer.  I had to add to the chain as they used bolt cutters to get it down, but it is very solid.  There were a couple of sizes made, I think mine is the small one.  I have seen them a few times on the unmentionable auction site, too.

The Climax is a good option.  More versatile than the BR, it sets well on leaner trees, is very solid and reasonably priced.  I wish the seat was taller, tho.  I may have to work on that part.

Good Hunting!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Hmmm, after all the comments, I went back and looked more closely.  Still not sure what to think.  The design still reminds me of the Loc-On LEM the way the seat folds up and I didn't care for the way it seemed to make my LEM's seem huge to carry.  Instead of the seat folding down over the platform it folds the other way and makes the stand a good bit longer when folded.

Also, what about seat comfort?  That cross bar at the the point where the seat bottom and seat back come together looks like it would be an issue.  Is it?

There are also multiple metal hinge points.  The seat has a hinge, the seat base frame has a hinge and the under support frame has a hinge.  I've had problems with such hinge points on other stands being noisy.  Usually not at first but if left out in the rain, they can squeak at the worst possible time.  On the old Bear River, the frame was welded solid and the only hinge point was the seat post.  With the platform seated into the tree, it was rock solid and with the seat post strapped to the tree it was solid so movement at the hinge was pretty much eliminated and that hinge point was not really load bearing either.

Not trying to criticize the stand, just asking like I would before buying anything else.  From the sound of things, those of you who have them really like them.

Does the lower brace get set at the same angle all the time or is it adjustable for leaning trees?  i.e. If a tree is leaning back or forwards, can you change the support arm angle to level the stand?
Dave

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
I like seraming eagle tree stand, i find then hard to beat! my 2cents
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
Screaming Eagle stands are light and most importantly: Rock Solid.  The stand has no noise, no creaks, no movement.  I wrap all metal parts with a rubber camo wrap.

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
Dave, yes you can adjust the brace for lean. As for the seat, take it off and use something else. I have an original loc-on with the plastic platform, squeaky. Took it off and use a screw in type seat I made .

I also know some guys who made the stand similar to the Bear river type and use them for years.

I also know that Byron Ferguson and Jerry Simmons used homemade models for years similar to the design of the Climax.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I made plywood and CMT stands on the climax principal way back in the 60's.. They had to be the #2 design right after the Baker. I still have a couple in the garage, but the plywood is shot.

I have to give climax credit as I never did figure out a good way to put a seat on one.. I just wish the seat height was adjustable, being tall and "not so young" anymore, a higher seat sure makes it easier to rise to standing.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©