3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Status of the rut in Ohio?  (Read 365 times)

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
Status of the rut in Ohio?
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:55:00 AM »
Just wondering what you guys are seeing.  I've only been out twice, last evening being the latest.  I saw a decent buck scraping around and it made me wonder if the rut was already going.  

What are you Ohio guys seeing?  Where do you think we are - pre-rut?  Is it still the consensus of this group (as in the last couple years when I asked this question) that the rut in Ohio is pretty concentrated on the 1st 2 weeks of November, or is it coming on a little earlier this year?

BillJ
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Jmatt1957

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Status of the rut in Ohio?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
I shot a buck last week and he had not urniated on his tarsal glands yet. He had been rubbing there was bark in his antlers.  Bucks that I have seen are not showing any intrest in the does yet. Seen a couple of small scrapes but they have not been hit since last week. Any time from Halloween to Thanksgiving is when things go crazy.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Hunting last night a group of five bucks were feeding together and moved off in the same group.  They were fork horns , and small 6's

Offline bowhunter71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
I have not been seeing any sign of the rut til a couple hours ago.I watched a doe come flying out of my woods to the feeder.She kept looking behind her and sure enough there was 8 pointer following.He is not huge but decent.The whole time she fed he kept his distance but followed her.He even shredded a sapling and pee'd on his hocks.They went out in front of our house in some real thick brush and laid down.They are about 25 feet apart.She is a old doe that has been around here for at least 4 or 5 years.It sure seems like he is tending her but I would think it is a little early.Also this is the first time seeing this buck.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
If you define the rut as peak breeding like I do, then no.  It ain't here and won't be till about the 2nd or 3rd week of November.  Same time it arrives every year.

But if you mean are the bucks out roaming and sparring and chasing one another out of various pieces of turf, then yes, they are doing that.
Otto

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
In our woods the first week in november the bucks go on the proul,And hard chasing the second week.Not far away cant wait!!!!
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
We saw does and bucks together tonight. The pizza guy just told me when delivering, he saw a decent 6 point chasing some does. Had to stop and let them pass before delivering my pizza. I told him if he hit one to come and let me know!

It must be just barely starting around here if the little guys are hassling the does.

-Charlie

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Saw a fair number of rubs tonight and had a few does (strumpets, apparently) come to see what was what when I did a bit of light rattling.  The deer were moving today in central Ohio.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
I have been seeing bucks and does together but nothing going on.We have been seeing lots of small bucks right now.And the bigger bucks have been moving at night, lots or night picks on trail cams.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Bucks are still grouped up right now. They ought to split in a about a week. No rut activity as of yet. But when the gobblins come out on halloween, it's on. That seems to be our trigger date. I love the 1st week of Nov. Don't care for the hard core chasing in week 2-3 cause it's too hard to stop em! But it's fun to watch! Oh, I don't have to worry about that this year. I'm bucked out!  :bigsmyl:   Just a little dig for longbowben.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Dont worry leatherneck ,Im going to put a viedo cam in your hands.Lets see if we can get it done on cam.If i miss you will show the world.  :help:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
:biglaugh:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by longbowben:
Dont worry leatherneck ,Im going to put a viedo cam in your hands.Lets see if we can get it done on cam.If i miss you will show the world.   :readit:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©