3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jack Harrison Book?  (Read 352 times)

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Jack Harrison Book?
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
Can anyone tell me about this book? I would like to ask for it for a Christmas gift if it is worth it. I know it is rather indepth but was wondering if it is at all confusing with so much techincal info. If you would rather PM me your thoughts as well that is fine. Thanks for replies. Flint

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jack Harrison Book?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
I had access to a copy about 2 years back and was pretty overwhelmed by it.   Then, last year, I started building bows and had read a lot more stuff and followed lots of good threads on the boards.  i broke down and bought a copy, feeling that if nothing else, as a builder i should have it in my library.   I got quite a bit out of it this time through, and figure I'll get more next year, with more experience behind me.   It's certainly not a "sit down and read and digest, then go build a bow" book.  However, there's a ton of information to pour over, and over, and over, getting a piece of the puzzle each time.  I've found myself going back to it for specific information look ups a number of times.

I'd say to ask yourself where you are and how serious you are.  If all you want is to build yourself a few simple longbows, I'd label it "nice to have... could learn some basics from".  If you want to get seriously into the science of reflex/deflex and the physics of bows, then I'd label it a "want for sure".  

I'm strictly into simple longbows, so for me, was it necessary?  No.   Much of it is beyond where I will ever be, but I've gotten some things out of it and I'm glad I have it. I dip in every now and then, and who knows, I may grow more than I expect to.    Of course, I'm a book nut and always like to have a good library on anything I'm doing.
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
I have yet to build a laminated longbow beyond a bamboo backed osage bow.  I bought a copy for my library because I like books on archery and hunting related topics.  I've read and reread several sections of the book now.  As Dick mentioned, it goes way beyond where I see myself now or ever getting to.  I still find it to be a valuable reference.  When I finally get the free time to build a laminated bow I do feel like I will be well informed of what I'm getting into.

Offline Andy Lupher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
There is a lot of technical info in the book but there is also a lot of step by step sections for building one of Jack's bows - for instance if you want to do kidney shaped tips it there.

The technical aspects may have come from Klopsteg and Naglers (sp??) work (Technical Aspects of Archery - reprinted by GSC)

I second what Dick wrote - depending where you are at with respect to bow building there is a lot in there and every time you revisit you can pick up additional details.

I do wish they had kept the narrative on the same page as the pictures - you find yourself flipping back and forth a lot..

All in all - it is a very good reference and worth the money.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
I have owned my copy for several years. Very informative. I learn something everytime i browse through chapters..There is a little bit of some rehash but it's done very professionally. was worth my pennies
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
I have been wanting to read it BUT it is priced WAY too high for any hunting or archery related book . IMHO

If it told me how to permanently cure a couple of degenerated discs in my back it would be worth that price
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©