3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many hunt alone?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
How many hunt alone?
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I was just curious! I use to hunt alone all the time, but me and a friend have been hunting together for a couple of years and I like it better that way. We go sepperate directions but meet back at the trail! and it's alway's fun to shoot the bull after the hunt! like I said just a curious question!! Good hunting, Jason

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many hunt alone?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
The camraderie is an essential part of the experience for me. I have been married to the same woman for 30 years, But my two hunting partners and I have been together for 40 years!!

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
I do 90 percent of the time but as I get older I really want to hunt with someone most of the time. My schedule just don't allow it.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Dave Bowers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
95% solo

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm almost always solo too.  I typically only find time to hunt when my friends and family can't and they're typically hunting on Saturdays and opening days when I can't.  I always do enjoy hunting with a few close buddies or my brothers though.  Sadly, my two sons have very limited interest in hunting or I'd have a partner way more frequently.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
I prefer it to be honest. I'd say if I did not take my son with me I would hunt alone 100% of the time. You really notice being alone when it comes time to do some draggin.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Solo, almost all the time.
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
I usually hunt alone but prefer to hunt with a friend, schedules get in the way.

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
95% solo...every now and again my buddy pete or pat and i will hunt together or do a group hunt.  those are the days i love!

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
I hunt alone 80% of the time.  I grew up hunting alone and am very comfortable, for up to a few days, alone.  

When I hunt with others, it is a very select few.  It is nice to not be constrained by certain rendezvous points or times.  A hunt can be ruined by having to push or drag another along.  I've gone home from camp several days early because of homesick and/or whinning men.  Hunting should be quiet time - can't abide "talkers".  I like to reflect, observe, and think.

On the other hand IF you can find a well matched hunting partner, you have found something special indeed.  I've been fortunate to have a few; but, perhaps due to their similar nature, we don't hunt much together.  Seems they prefer time alone also.
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
99% of the time solo.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Buffalo Two Fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
I hunt alone often but I enjoy hunting with others more.

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Alone as often as I can.
I hunt in a club, we have a timber company lease, we have about a dozen members in our camp and they all think I am anti-social.
Nothing against them, they are all my friends but to them hunting is a "social gathering", I prefer to be alone.
They all meet up at camp or at a crossroads for lunch, and "shooting the bull", I seldom participate.
When I do, I'll admit it is fun, but I prefer to be alone. I try to schedule my hunts during the week or during bad weather when I have the camp and woods to myself.
A weekend during general gun season (we hunt with dogs here during gun season) is more like a weekend at a state fair!
The fire is too big, and the camp generator is way too loud.
I love slipping away during the week when no-one is in camp but me and my little cabin.
Propane heat, propane cooking, and candles and a lantern for light, a grundig shortwave am-fm radio for companionship, so much quieter than a generator.
I do appreciate the electric power during the early season so I can run my air conditioner!
Long winded, sorry, but alone suits me just fine.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
100% Solo. But I sure do miss my old buddies we had some great times in and out of woods. I still have my son and his friends for trackers they are a great bunch of guy's when I need them
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I hunt alone about 95% of the time.  The other 5% is spent hunting with just a couple of people.  

I've tried to be a social hunter but it doesn't work for me.  I can't find many/if anyone that likes to put in the effort like I do...

My kids are getting a little older which means (hopefully) I'll always have a full cabin!

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Archery...95-99% alone.  

Shotgun seems to be a much more "social" event.

Sendero's mentioning of a State Fair made me laugh.

Both are legitimate hunting (to me at least) but I don't try to compare the two or wish I was doing the other when doing one.  It's like comparing california pizza to chicago pizza. They're both called "pizza" and they're both good...beyond that they're two different foods.

I enjoy both. Pizzas and hunting  :)
Micah 6:8

Offline Tsalagi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I prefer to hunt with another person, but sometimes huntin' partners move away. And when the wife sends me out for rabbits, well, I have to go get them. Many times by myself. And that's fine, too. Sometimes it's nice to just hear the sound of silence.
Heads Carolina, Tails California...somewhere greener...somewhere warmer...or something soon to that effect...

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
I had a buddy to hunt with over the last 20 years, but age and economics dictated that he gave up bowhunting in the bigwoods, so I hunt 99% of the time by myself. He's up for a week of inline muzzy hunting the next week though, and I'll be carrying the bow. We had a blast today and it was fun hunting together once again.

I get tired of hunting alone in the remote places that I venture into and I've tried hunting with some other folks. Most of them turned out to be knuckleheads, so I lost them. One of these days, I'll come across a another good hunting pard' I hope.
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
99% of the time, and it is boring these days?? grew up hunting that way but as of late it seems to not be quite as much fun. Course then not many are string players round here.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
I do while buck hunting. Once and if that happens I will doe hunt with friends on their farms to help them control them.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©