3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many hunt alone?  (Read 1220 times)

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many hunt alone?
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »
Other than opening week that I hunt with my blood brother, 100%.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 06:20:00 AM »
I hunt 90% of the time with my father in law for the last 20 years.  He is 70 now and still stronger than most half his age.  He doesn't have sons so I fill the role.

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
100% solo.  I'm a social fisherman, but the solitude of hunting is what I crave and I'm blessed enough to have the use of a friend's "deer shack" during bow season to fill the need. Probably not too smart, as I'm getting to be a "longbeard". I do make sure friends know where my stands are so they can come get my remains if need be.  No need in ruining a good deer stand with dead human scent!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
I hunt alone mostly but could really use a mentor. This is only my second season out and have had to learn everything from this forum or on my own. This is a great place to learn though and I'm on the deer. I do have a couple of good friends I can call when I finally close the deal, maybe today.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
bowhunting-100%, will hunt with firearms with my nephew and his son a few times, trying to get the boy more interested in bowhunting but he is at that age of: girls.
 Since a fall a few years ago my wife insists on my keeping a cell phone, but I keep it off unless I need to tell her I'm coming home late for one reason or another.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Almost all the time alone, just works out that way. Not opposed to a partner, just usually timing doesn't work out. Leaving in the morning for 3 days of hunting. Going alone.

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
95% solo for me to.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
I have a hunting partner, we just dont hook up often. Being over 60 I prefer to hunt with a friend, its good that someone knows what general area you are in...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline FlyFixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Most of the time solo, unless my son is able to go. I hunt on a lease and if I need help I can usually call one of the other members for help if I need it. All of them are compounders but they are good guys and more than willing to help drag out a deer.

Offline LarryS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
ALWAYS
L.C.SMEEN

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I hunt about 80% alone.This year I did spend alot of time with a friend that drew limitied entry elk tag.I like to hunt solo if I can but everyone seems to call me. I do enjoy time with others and if they are new hunters I will usally go.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
I am hunting solitude.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
By my self mainly, my kids are too young as of right now, but that is changing by the minute.  I cant wait untill they are ready.

I do enjoy hunting w/ family when I go down to my dads hunting club.  Mainly family.  But its about an hour away and I dont get down there that much.

I have a couple of properties that I hunt alone that is 10 minutes down the road that has good deer. Land owners doesnt want me carring anyone. Cant see the 1hr ride other that being w/ family.

My wife wish I had someone to hunt with.  She normally get the play by play after every hunt.  She even pretends like she is listening.  :bigsmyl:
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
there has been occasions where ive hunted by myself, every thing being peiceful and all, im guilty of falling asleep in the tree stand and not wakin up till well after dark.this has happened to me on several occasions.but hunting in a partner situation or as a group. ive only done this a few times . i'd be interested in new ways to hunt. ive heard of some techniques that apparently work in the right situations . i dont know if its ok to mention them here
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
I hunt with a few buddies, we always meet up after the hunt wether its on the trail or on the side of the road hunting State land here in Wisconsin. I must admit, this is the first year of hunting with someone in the same tree as me, my 13 year old son Dominic's first year, it's AWESOME!!! I wouldn't trade it for the world. I kinda feel guilty hunting during the week when he can't because of school!

Up at the cabin in Michigan, its always full, which is good!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
All my bowhunting is alone, I used to have a good hunting buddy of 20 plus years, but he moved to Alaska where the big critters live. I have always hunted alone, except for out west hunts or Bear in Canada, I enjoy a true hunting camp enviorment, but some turn into a party camp, dont enjoy that at all. I do miss checking in with my buddy after the hunt to compare stories, I do gun hunt with my nephew, but he is of the girl chasing age and hunting is not a priority now, but I can usually get ahold of him to help drag one out ! I do enjoy the peacefulness and quiet of hunting alone, but it is nice to have someone to check in with for safety and to share stories.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I prefer to hunt with friends. I hunt about 75% alone and would hunt more if I had friends to share it with.   I have also had friends that I had to call to wake up and who were always late to the woods.  The extra work of trying to get someone else enthused about a hunt turned me off. I have hunted with a few idiots over the years which means I like hunting with Friends that share the same passion for the hunt and for safety as I do. So I guess Hunting with friends only if they share similar hunting patterns as I. Otherwise I prefer to hunt alone.

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
I bow hunt alone.  I like it that way.  It is good to have time alone to recharge and just have peace and quite.  I like to be able to work the area and go one on one with the deer without complications.  It seems like I work five times harder when I hunt with others around.  I take my bow hunting very seriously, and I have had a hard time finding a hunting partners that do the same.  I can only hunt deer where I live, and it is a populated area.  There is not much room for errors if you want to be consistently successful.  I feed my family with venison as or major meet supply for the year, so I am no just out having fun when hunting.  That makes a big difference in how seriously I take my bow hunting.  It would be a lot different if I hunted just for fun, or hunted bigger stuff in larger or remote areas where a partner or small group would be an asset instead of a liability.    

For gun hunting I have done more group and family hunts.   I always figure once the guns come out the serious hunting is over.  You can screw up all kids of ways and still shot a deer with a gun.  Even gun hunting I am not the most fun in camp.  I don’t like to drink, set around half the night playing cards or hang around camp half the day.  I hunt hard, eat, get the work done and sleep.  A couple hours in the evening setting by the fire talking and having some laughs are great, but I don’t go hunting to hang out at camp.

Now upland hunting, and water fowling is completely different.  Those are great group hunting opportunities, and I enjoy that a lot.  I look forward to those hunts and spending time with friends.  That type of hunting is usually better and more successful when done with team work.  

I still have a few years before the kids can start hunting.  I look forward to that even though I know my hunting will be greatly affected.  It will be worth it and hopefully the freezer will be just as full.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
WHAT A BUNCH OF LONERS!!!  :biglaugh:  

At least I finally fit in somewhere, mostly alone for me!

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
I enjoy hunting with friends but I hunt alone 95% of the time, always have. As has already been said, conflicting schedules get in the way. I've noticed I hunt harder and better when I don't have to meet someone at a certain time,place, etc.
I can't wait for my son to be old enough to tag
along on a regular basis.Now that the weather(and bugs are fewer)is getting cooler he will be coming along more often.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©