3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little frustated  (Read 371 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
A little frustated
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
This is my first year shooting trad archery and i missed 2 easy shots this weekend. One was a nice 8 pointer at 17yds and i shot about a foot over his back. The other deer was a small doe at 15 yds and i also shot over her back.

Looking back at what went wrong i dont remember picking a spot or even estimating how far they were from me. Even though i missed i am more determined than ever to get one of those critters with a stickbow.

The doe i missed was standing under some acorn trees outside our cabin 25yds from where our targets are. I slipped up on her and after i missed i went over and got my arrow, turned around and from 25yds centered one of our targets.  :banghead:  

Guys im so excited about getting a deer with my recurve that i think im just forgetting what it is i need to be doing when im shooting at a live animal. I hope next weekend i will have some pictures to show you of my first harvest.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little frustated
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
Joe, The only thing I keep telling myself when a deer's coming in is "Pick a spot", "Pick a spot". If I don't then I to shoot at the entire animal. It's crucial to pick that tuffed of hair, muscle created shadow, or even a leaf in front of the deer in the correct spot. Something to keep your brain focused.

Just a suggestion but until you shoot one or two I wouldn't take any shots over 15 yards. Try to stay within that or closer. What will happen if you miss another or two is it will become mental and you may lose interest. Keep the shots close and PICK THAT SPOT.

Can't wait to see your first hero picts.

Good luck.
T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Stay with it, Joe. The first one is the toughest.

Nothing like shooting at something that moves and has hair on it to bring out the target panic. Remember, there are two kinds of bowhunters in this world. Those that miss (at least on ocassion), and those that lie about never missing. Look at it this way, shooting high or low is a lot better than a bad hit.

Like they say, "Pick a Spot" and "Aim Small, Miss Small".

Good luck, the next one will be in the freezer.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »
Great advice guys! Keep at it and you'll have one on the ground soon! Good luck!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
Yea im for sure going to keep my shots in close and where i hunt its pretty thick so most will be close. Even though i did miss theres no way i am ever going to give up on these stick bows. I have never had anything thing get me more excited than these bows. I wish you all could have seen the smile on my face the first time i nocked a arrow while sitting in my stand.  :thumbsup:
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
Joe,
I know 3-D season is over but it's a good way to instill that "pick a spot" routine on an animal sized target in the woods.  I am in the process of putting up a feedbag target range on my property and so far have 8 targets put up on the wooded areas.  I have to pick a spot on the bags, a blemish or wrinkle, etc. and it's great practice for shooting at animals.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©