3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CatQuiver  (Read 2956 times)

Offline mrfritz

• Trad Bowhunter
CatQuiver
« on: January 06, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Part of my traditional will have to include a quiver, of course.  I don't want to shoot with the arrows strapped to the bow, so I wanted to get everyone's opinion of CatQuivers.  

I need something that I can carry all day, or piggyback on a climber stand on the way in.

I also absolutely must be able to walk without an arrow strung, but able to easily string one from the quiver when needed.

How do Cats fair based on what I want?

Thanks,

Fred

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: CatQuiver
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
I have used the Catquiver 3.5 fleece and liked it very much, the small pack and zipper pockets are nice. I added felt to the outer part of the broadhead holder to quiet it down on bumps. If you piggyback it to a climber on your back it may be hard to reach the arrow with the climber on your back, unless you just sling the climber on one shoulder and drop it to shoot.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline vealboss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »
They work pretty good for getting in and out of places. but if you like to stump shoot much you need to get a side stalker type quiver as well. The cat quiver is a pain to get the arrows in when you are wearing it. Also depending on your height and arrow length it can be a pain if you have to kneel quickly cause it will hit the ground or a stump ect. I like the storage on it, and for still hunting it works very well.

Offline Alex.B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 12:17:00 PM »
get a mini. you can carry it by itself, strap it on any backpack, hang it in your stand lay it on the ground,...endless. just know that feathers get crowded in there with more than 3-4 arrows
tgmm, tanj, compton, bha

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
I the CatQuiver VII.. It has the quiver on the side..I can pack lots of gear and arrows are easy to reach...

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Don't mean to read too much into what you are asking but...If you have a Cat Quiver riding on a "back packed" tree stand it's gonna be hard to get hold of an arrow...Now if you still wish to carry your gear in that way fine...Why not buy one of those Skookum One Arrow Quivers... :) ... (from 3 Rivers)...This way, if you get a shot on the way to your stand you don't have to drop your pack to grab an arrow...

>>-----> mike <-----<<
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 12:48:00 PM »
I have the Mini, the Cat II, and the Cat IV. all of them have their place.

I like the Mini only after I added the backpack straps. (Option from the maker or can be had from 3 Rivers). I hated the Mini as a side slung quiver. It just didnt work well at all for me.

The II is probably best for warmer weather IMO. I dont  carry as much stuff at that time of year so the smaller pockets are ample. It rides nice on the back and is comfortable.

I had a III but sold it and bought the IV. The IV has nicer straps and a padded hip belt with pockets. This is the one to use if you are carrying alot of stuff. I can put rattling antlers inside and still have enough room for other neccesities. I use this one for treestand hunting since I can carry so much. Most of my stands are hang on type though.

If I was to strap a quiver to a climber on my back, I would most likely use a Cat II (or III if I still had one). I think these would offer the most function with the least amount of weight and hassle.

The mini does get crowded with a lot of arrows but I routinely carry 6 in my other sizes. I could get more in but I dont  try to push it.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 01:49:00 PM »
I never got used to that "no-see-backhand-draw-the-broadhead-past-my-hip" thing when I had it on my back...

I've been using a side quiver for the last couple weeks for stump shooting and I like it much better as a hunting quiver than a Cat...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
I cannot tell by the advertisment pictures - on a CatQuiver, do the arrows go in similar to a St. Charles quiver? Feathers tucked up inside the bonnet and arrow heads down at the bottom?

Sorry if this question is a bit thick.  :knothead:   Never hurts (much) to ask.   :o

Edit: Found some good photos from a different catalogue, end of confusion.   :rolleyes:
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 02:32:00 PM »
I've had a Cat I for many many years, and didn't like it until I took the hip straps off.  Now it moves easier with me.  The skookum/Cat combo. idea sounds good to me, mcgroundstalker.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
The GFA (or one of this type) is by far the most user friendly quiver I've ever owned. I do still love my Cat quiver III, but the GFA is just too handy not to take on every trip to the woods.

Google search for G. Fred Asbell and you will find his quiver.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline mrfritz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
That Asbell quiver, on the site it shows him pictured with a backpack.  Does that pack come with the quiver?

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 12:09:00 AM »
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
I have a Catquiver II and the only thing I don't like is trying to return an arrow while it is on my back.  It takes a lot of practice.

I use mine because I stillhunt and I can pull an arrow out and load my bow with very little movement.

Dennis

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 05:20:00 AM »
I'm trying the Catquiver III for 2007. Think that I got it from Brian P. I like all of the storage room it has and I'll be using it from a treestand so once I get there it will just be hanging.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 01:00:00 PM »
The Catquiver didn't work for me--too narrow for my extra-wide frame.  Uncomfortable and aggravating--I got it from a friend that's also a big guy, and it didn't work for him either.  Probably just fine for smaller folks though.

Chad

Offline GhostWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
Just got my Cat III today. I like it, but not sure if it is going to be the quiver for me. I have a 50" chest and it just don't fit as comfortable as I would like. My straps are adjusted near max, never tried it on with my cold weather hunting jacket. Might be a little tight. I like the concept and will make modifications if needed.

LBR like you I wish the backpack where the straps join on was wider.

I'm going to play with it until it fits and functions the way it is intended to do.

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »
I have a cat quiver I and III.5 and can easily get 6 or 7 fletched arrows in them, love them, best quiver EVER made

Offline Wengerd Bowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 01:14:00 AM »
I've used the cat quiver III for a couple seasons now and like it alot. Even though I'm going back to bow quiver for next season, the cat quiver is one quiver I will never sell.

Offline GhostWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
Progress made. I max'd out the straps and I don't do up the cross-chest strap, instead I have the two shoulder straps come down and go over the outsides of my pecs. This also solved the worries I had about the string hooking the cross-chest buckle upon release as it is shielded by my left pec. It's not the ideal way to wear the back, but I've gotten use to it as I have to wear most store bought packs this way.

As for now I still haven't ruled out modifications to it to suit my needs.

Seems to be a good rig overall. Quiet, and practical.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©