3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How does everyone keep positive  (Read 1407 times)

Offline 2wfstlhunting

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How does everyone keep positive
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
you will have bad periods when you want to give it up, and you will have exilerating days.  I have had years when there were far more bad shooting moments than good.  On the other hand what is better than being out in the woods and just seeing and feeling what others don't or can't.  Each year for the last 20 I have tried to make my shooting better, and finally this year it came together for awhile and I had some great moments.  If you stick with it and just try to figure out whatever it is that you are doing wrong you will get there.  It is not life and death, but it is a serious challenge and you can keep getting better at it until the day you stop.
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex Mahogany and bamboo 62" 53#@27.5"
Leon Stewart Deflex/Reflex curly maple, birdseye maple and Osage riser 53#@ 28"
Blacktail 62" longbow takedown 53#/57# B & W ebony
Harvey Crowned Eagle longbow  62"  49#

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Some good points here.....

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
I'm with Ron here... I haven't gotten a shot off at a deer with a bow in years! Last deer I killed was with a muzzleloader in 2005.

They say the journey is what it's all about, and Lord, I'm trekkin' hard! I keep picturing the hammock at the end of the trail, feet up, margaritas and roast pork at the luau, and I keep trudging along like a good girl. Thank goodness the scenery is pretty!

Killdeer    :wavey:      :pray:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Everybody misses every once in a while.  Just relax a remember it is better than being at work.  Nate

Offline Mount Sweetness

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
Don't be ashamed to use a compound bow.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Well, I've been hunting since I was 14, mind you not every single year but, but getting out there when I can. I'm now 41 and still haven't gotten my first deer but, I refuse to use a gun, compound or what ever other mechanical thing is out there! I love the hunt, the solitude of the woods, scenery and companions from time to time. I had my first miss at an elk this early season and had myself a blast and a good laugh! I'll be back out there for the late season Nov. 21st.

Stay focused and enjoy the journey.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 08:05:00 PM »
One thing I've always done is spend an hour or two in my blind when I first complete it or brush it in shooting judo points at everything around it, leaves, pine cones, sticks, etc.  Become familiar with the trajectory to each thing.  I also shoot a couple when I arrive at the blind in the afternoon.  It builds confidence with me, maybe it will work for you.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
A lot of very good advice here already, not sure what I can add.  As has been said, you need to believe with your entire being that you CAN and WILL make the shot.  If there is a whisper of doubt in your mind, it seems that bad things will happen.  Of course, we all know that things don't always go exactly as we expect, but we just have to accept those times as aberations and go on to the next opportunity.  

I like to compare it to like being a cornerback on a football team.  Even the very best ones will get beat for a touchdown occasionally, but they go right back out with the conviction that they WILL win the next battle.

Archery is like most sports - it is 10% skill, and 90% mental  :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
What everybody else said. I'm still waiting for my 1st.   :rolleyes:

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Killdeer's drinks and roast pork sounds good, do I have to shoot the pork???? If so I may have to go to Ray Hammonds...lol!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Relax and enjoy the hunt!

Focus on the tiny spot.

DON'T rush the shot. You can't outdraw a deer anyways. (learned this from a gobbler)Take your time and smoke the next one!

Good luck Bro!!  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
The first doe I drew on this year I missed!! it happens, but I would rather miss clean than to wound one! to me it is deffinitly the journey!! I don't hunt with anything but the recurve and I would'nt have it any other way!!  :thumbsup:  Keep your chin up, it'll happen soon enough!! Jason

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Well, all these folks, and awhole lot of experience! you asked Caleb and the proofs in the print!

We're here to help. My 2 cents worth is I went 10 years before I had one down. Would'nt change any of it.

I will also say, deer are'nt the only game to go after. I have set myself to shoot a squirrel every fall and then go after the deer. Small game is a great way to train your eye and help with the emotions at the hunting shot.

Shootin at a moving animal is alot dfferent then the target in the backyard! It will come, if you have the burning desire to be there when it happens! Good shootin, and look foward to hearing of your success!

Offline Ryan High

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
One thing that has helped me stay positive lately is a lot of practice and this fine web site. Every thing posted on here is uplifting and helpful to me.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
i miss but dont let it bother me because i know the next time is coming and things can work then.i pretty much just love the hunt the kill is a bonus
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 04:24:00 AM »
I recommend getting yourself a hunting partner that misses way more than you do.  That way when you miss, instead of getting all upset and down on yourself, you can just act like you did it to make him feel better!  :D
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 04:30:00 AM »
Nice, Tim.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 05:40:00 AM »
A miss is better than a wounded animal, just chalk it up to experience and continue forward. Your day will come.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 06:52:00 AM »
When you draw your bow, CONFIDENCE is your biggest asset. Fear of missing, or worse cannot be allowed to cloud your vision. If you practice and find you are accurate, then you must LEARN to trust your abilities as a shooter.

The same CONFIDENCE in your abilities, is your weapon for remaining positive. You KNOW you can do it!!!

Now, next week, when I miss, help me remember how to remain confident and positive...OK????  :D

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
There is a reason bow season is not one day long.There is always a tommorrow that way.  :goldtooth:   Practice your close shots more if you are going to be letting them get that close to you.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©