3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Columbia Wool  (Read 895 times)

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Columbia Wool
« on: October 19, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Columbia Wool
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
I have the pants in green camo and the pants/shirt in snow. I like the camo its not the best but very warm. Its a little to warm for me durning the early archery here in WY. Later in the month its great. Doesnt have the wind protection of more expensive wool but I think it is great for the money. Wore the snow camo last season in some snow in SD. A nice buck walked right up to me didnt notice me until hit scent trail at about 15yrds, only had doe tag of course.

My opinion worth the money.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
I live in wool.I think the Comubia is well worth the money. I have had a set of pants shirt and vest for 6 years now. I wear the pants the most. They show some wear, but no tears, weak spots, anything. Great stuff.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
I like the gallatin stuff I have about six years in my pants now and they are still going strong.
nothing fancy but worth the money
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
...just sat for three days on my treestand in 40 degree temps, steady rain and 20 to 30 mph winds just off the cheasapeak bay. Just swartwool under the columbia and was roasty toasty. I also have filson,woolrich and older ll beane and they really aren't noticably better but alot more money(if you buy new instead of "gently worn").
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
I have the pants and shirt jac.Love mine.I live in wool all winter.Love them for late bow,and rifle and smokepole sits too after some layering.Very warm for the price,and camo to boot.Pockets are generous size too.

Most here will slam them and tell you to just buy SI or KOM,but if you're budget minded like the rest of us, this stuff will get you by nicely. :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Taiga Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
I have the pants and love them. Just bought the SportHill zone 3 pants to go under them for wind protection they are supposed to be wind proof up to 35mph and it makes the Columbia wool pants crazy warm. I too live in wool in the winter time and our winters up here in ND can get pretty brutal. I will give the pants two    :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:
"Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye.
Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark!"

Offline pronghorn23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
I have the jacket and bibs. I love them. Nice and warm, maybe not as warm as other wool stuff but I bought them while on sale and had reward points so I couldn't pass it up.  

I layer up with long underwear and a woolrich wool vest and good to go.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I'd pass on it.  Spend the money...get the good stuff, so you never have to do it again.

Offline seanF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
I have had the jacket and pants for about 10yrs now and really like the way they blend in to any environment. The wool is "fuzzier" than more expensive stuff. The fuzzy nature gives a more 3d effect and does not reflect sunlight like modern camo materials. Not great in the wind, but if you layer it will keep you warm down into the upper teens. My outfit absolutely loves burrs.

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I have the pants. Wore them for the first time this weekend. I don't have anything to compare them to as they are the only wool pants I've ever wore but I was very warm and comfortable in a tree stand Sat. Temps where in the mid 30s with snow and sleet most of the day.

Offline Mohican

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
I have the bibs and jacket for 7yrs Great stuff worth the money .

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I have the bibs and they are fine. Excellent for the money. My pants are German and Swiss surplus. I don't have the money to try the big name wool.

Offline Tom P

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I didn't like the set I had, thought it was cheaply made and was able to sell them and investested in some KOM & Sleeping Indian, after having upgraded I wouldn't go back. Save your money.
Psalms 42:1 As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, Oh God.

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Haven't experienced the others, but am very happy with my Columbia jacket and bibs.  Layering is important no matter what you are wearing.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Columbia makes good wool clothes. The fabric is a chopped wool(small pieces of wool fiber rather then the long hairs used in the premium fabrics) By doing this they can make wool clothing more affordable. I have a set of bibs going on 8 years now and they serve me well. I also own pants by Filson, a pullover by Sleeping Indian and a jacket by King of the mountain. The only real difference that is noticable is the tightness of the weave, my honest opinion I think Filson gives you the most for your money without breaking the bank. Buy your wool at the end of the season when everyone has the close-outs. KOM and SI make nice stuff but why take out a third morgage for hunting clothes.

Offline rock_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
I love my set, with a base layer I stay very warm.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
Bought my pants used so for the $$$ I have in them I think they are pretty awesome with only one exception.... WIND. If you watch the forcast and have a cold day but no major wind predicted or storm front moving in, then you are good to go. Very thick and warm, just no wind resistance whatsover. I tried them last year and once the wind gets over 10 MPH you can feel it going through.

Late season, bitter cold and wind = Gray Wolf Woolens with wind liner which = Happy Campers !!!

nocams  :campfire:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
jon simoneau - I have KOM, Filson, Sleeping Indian, Woolrich, and Columbia. My Columbia has lasted 6 years (they appear to have another 6 years left) and they cost about 1/4 of what the KOM cost. In this economy, value like that should not be "passed on".

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
I have columbia gallatin bibs and like them.   I have already worn them once this season thanks to the sub 30 degree temps in October this past weekend.

I also like the fact that are partly made with recycled materials!
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©