3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Help with Choosing a New Glove  (Read 405 times)

Offline Outrigger

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Help with Choosing a New Glove
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
I am currently using a soft leather Neet glove with no additional materials (no calf hair, no nylon, etc) in the fingers. I am shooting a 45 pound Dream Catcher.  My glove is considerably grooved, and the string works on my fingers. I am considering the 3R Dura-Glove. I think it would provide me a better finger protection with the nylon tips, but I have read some reviews that suggest the protection is not so good with heavier bows. I have also considered the Super Glove that uses cordovan leather to reinforce the tips, but some of the reviews say it is too stiff for 45 pound bows. I would appreciate any advice.
Greg

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Help with Choosing a New Glove
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
My son and I have both. he shoots 45lbs and the Dura, I shoot 55lbs and shoot the Super. Buy both and keep the one you like. Great gloves, both of them.

nocams  :thumbsup:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Take a look at the Skookum Mega Tuff and Skookum Bruin gloves from Alaska Bowhunting Supply.  I have two of the Mega Tuff gloves and I may be ordering one of the Bruin gloves just to check it out!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
American Leathers Big Shot
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 04:30:00 AM »
I'll add a vote to the Big Shot.  I use it on a 46# and 56# bow, great glove!

Although i have to add that i'm thinking of trying the Full Shot whenever the Big Shot wears out, but looking at my Big Shot i think that'll be quite a long time.

:D
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 04:37:00 AM »
Big Shot!!
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline 684Kevin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 05:33:00 AM »
Dura Glove.  I four other rather expensive gloves but none let the string leave as smooth as my Dura Glove.  The Dura is costs half of others and wears at least three times longer.  Mine seems to get better with age. Based on my daily shooting, I would guess it has over 40,000 shots to date.  I just recently purchased another to get broke in as a spare just incase I were to loose my original.  The 3R Berlin glove has the best string feel to me, but the string release for me is poor on the shorter recurves but works fine on 64" to 66" longbows.  The Dura releases very consistent with any bow/string angle I have shot.

Offline khardrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
I love the feel of my Grizzly glove that Tim carries at braveheart archery. Very smooth and I can feel the string nicely. Can't beat his prices or service either!
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Offline barebow17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »
3Rivers Berlin glove.

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 06:05:00 AM »
Big Shot
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Outrigger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
I appreciate all of the inputs, but please allow me to zero in on the subject. Will the Dura-Glove give me more or less finger protection than the basic Neet all leather glove that I am using now?  Would the Super Glove be too stiff for my 45 pound pull bow? Thanks for any additional comments.
Greg

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
I use only the Super glove for both my 60# and 43# bows. I also shoot other bows using it with no problems. I like it because the release is very consistent with either bow. I can sense the string thru the tip leather but am totally protected. Great glove.

I think there will be a break-in period. I did the soak in water and fit to hand method, then I treated my tips just once and have since left them alone.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
Kustom King Goat shin glove is the best.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
The nylon tipped, dura-glove or Grizzly glove will give you plenty of protection a good feel. And they are great right out of the box. The cordovan (Super-glove) will feel quite stiff and will take a while to break in.

I'v been shooting the same Grizzly glove for 3 yrs, LOTS of arrows! Still in good shape. I shoot 55-63# bows, short and long.

Eric

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Personally, I far prefer a cordovan tab to a glove but, when I do shoot a glove there are a couple things I want.  First, I want cordovan.  NOTHING else comes close for wear and smoothness in leather.  The ones with the synthetic might be good but I have not tried them.  Second, I prefer a single seam down the back of the glove rather than seams on the sides.  The worst kind of all for me is the ones that are built just like a regular glove with internal seams down the sides.  They can really hurt your fingers.  I've had the deer skin ones like that and hated them.  The next best is the kind where the leather goes 3/4 of the way around your finger and then has an outside seam down both sides of your finger where it connects to the leather that forms the back.  The best (to me) is the type that are cordovan and have a single seam down the back of your finger.  There is nothing from one finger glove to interfere with the finger next to it.  i.e. no seams where your fingers touch each other.

Lastly, I want the tip of my finger to stick out of the end of the finger stall just enough to get a better feel against my mouth at anchor.  Gloves that have a bunch of extra leather at the tip or an enclosed tip don't feel right to me.

But like I said, I far prefer a tab.....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
I have to agree Dave. I switched over from a damascus glove to neet traditional single seam with cordavan tips and greatly improved my release. From now on it's cordavan for me and as far as finger protection it's the best I have found. JMO
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Masham Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:00 AM »
GRIZZLY glove from Braveheart Archery.
Daniel

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
I got a KK goat skin glove too this year, after losing my ol' Damascus glove somewhere. I like it a lot so far. Thicker than the Damascus, yet soft enough to let you feel the string.
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©