3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dalaa (Updated on p2)  (Read 610 times)

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
Dalaa (Updated on p2)
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:54:00 AM »
I am seriously considering getting me a dalaa... I have been shooting trad with a black widow recurve for about a year now after some twenty years of wheeliebow shooting...  I am loving the trad thing and have so far this year won the Norwegian field championships and set 3 new FITA target records in the trad class in Norway and shot a Guinea fowl at 26 yards in Africa!    :)  

I love my widow, but If I feel the need for a more techie trad bow... something I can tinker with and tune till my hearts content...
(My wheelie bow is now for sale   :)   )
I will be using this bow for field / 3D and hunting of course

So I have some questions for those of you that shoot this bow:

17" or 21" ??  I see  that ILF is an option on the 21" which opens the possibility for fancy limbs like Border hex5...

ILF or non ILF?  advantages, disadvantages?

I would most likely shoot carbons off an elevated rest on this bow..  (I shoot my widow off the shelf) good plunger button / rest for this bow?

Thanks for your time

Regards,   Nathan
Stand up and say it loud: I am a gap-shooter and proud!
(Although I sometimes use the force)

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dalaa (Updated on p2)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
I have been shooting a DAS Gen 1 since 05 and love it. Mine is 17" and has the non ILF connection. I like it better because it feels more solid to me. Changing out the ILF dovetail to the DAS connection is simple and fast. I would recommend that you pick up a riser either a DAS hunter or a Dalaa and then buy the limbs that you want. I have been shooting Samick extremes for years and love them. I would love to try the Border hex 5's but they are pricey. I don't know what your draw is. I shoot about 29" and my bow is a 60" and is very smooth. Good luck with what ever you get you can't go wrong with a DAS.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I have owned the Dalaa in 17" and 21" and the out of production 21" DAS Elite.

Unless you have reason to need a shorter bow I would purchase the 21" ILF riser.It is pricey though compared to the Hoyt 21" which will do the same thing.

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Thanks guys for answers so far..  :)

cch so you mean that ILF limbs can be made to fit the Dalaa riser ?

RH... which hoyt riser are you referring to?

Nathan

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
From an investment perspective a Master Hunter is strongly preferred over a Daala. They are more sophisticated, stronger, more finely finished -- and SCARCE. Only the last item is significant. While Master Hunter prices have not yet ascended the heavens, David Soza's reputation was created by making fewer than 400 best-quality Master Hunter bows. If you have the bucks, acquire as many Master Hunter bows/risers as you will need for the remainder of your life. Quality of product and pride of ownership are your justification. . . . Your children will thank you - grandchildren, too.

Hope this helps.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by Naphtali:
If you have the bucks, acquire as many Master Hunter bows/risers as you will need for the remainder of your life. Quality of product and pride of ownership are your justification. . . . Your children will thank you - grandchildren, too.

Hope this helps.
The Master Hunter is a very nice shooting riser but I don't know if I agree with you.  A friend of mine had one in perfect condition on various traditional classified boards and trading blankets at different shoots for over six months and had very few people even interested in it.  I think he finally sold it but it took over six months.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »
If you have the bucks, acquire as many Master Hunter bows/risers as you will need for the remainder of your life. Quality of product and pride of ownership are your justification. . . . Your children will thank you - grandchildren, too.

Hope this helps.
Would you like to buy one? I'll sell you mine.  ;)

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
buejeger
I'm talking about the Hoyt Excell for less than 1/3 of what a Dalaa costs.Just put a screw in the plunger hole and make a ramp with some 2 sided 3M tape and velcro and it will do the same thing as a Dalaa.

The Dalaa is a fine riser just overpriced IMHO.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
Nathan, Yes  any ILF limb will fit the Dalaa riser. You just have to push out the ILF dovetail with a vise and insert the DAS bushing. It takes about 5min. The reason I don't like the ILF connection is that when it is unstrung it clanks around and the first time I installed a set of limbs on a riser and lifted it by the upper limb it fell out and crashed on the floor and chipped my lower limb. When it is strung no problems. Sid I think will even set up his limbs with the DAS connection for you if you order from him.  Later, Chris.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Yea,you can't handle an unstrung ILF by the limbs.I don't have any problems with the ILF system though and I like it better than having to change the DAS and ILF bushings around when I want to switch risers.I have 25" ILF target risers and ILF limbs.I do like to be able to use any of my target limbs on a shorter riser to hunt with.

All my bows are either strung on the wall or apart in cases.The ILF system holds the limbs fine for the few seconds between stringing and unstringing.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:

Hope this helps.
Would you like to buy one? I'll sell you mine.   ;)  [/b]
Jason and Lenny:

1. I own my Master Hunters already.

2. You both overlooked my assertion that prices have not yet ascended to heaven. We agree, I think, that Master Hunters are available at reasonable cost. I anticipate, like other best-quality products, its value will increase. And because of its scarcity, when price-value increases, the rise will be steep and quick.

3. Nice things about Master Hunters are: They won't wear out; they are collector's items you can use without fear of losing value.
Those who choose to disagree, more power to you. I   still have mine.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I have a Master Hunter and a 21" Dalaa. The Master is a 17" riser with long limbs making it 62" and the 21" has medium limbs making it 64". I prefer the 21" making a longer bow. It seems quicker, more forgiving, and I love the huge sight window. I've owned a 17" Dalaa as well and while the Master Hunter is a better riser, you probably would not be able to discern a difference in the two. David Soza engineered two amazing bows here, and his connection is superior to an ILF connection, though not quite as convenient. It was designed for hunting to be more solid and quiet. Any ILF limb can easily be converted to Davids system in 10 minutes or less, it just requires switching from the ILF Dovetails to the DAS system.
I love the Winex limbs on both of my bows, however, the Dalaa limbs are great quality.
I've gone through several top of the line bows in my search for my "ultimate" recurve and I knew I found it with the DAS line because they combine top of the line smoothness, speed, adjustability, versatility, and reliability. I really can't think of any compromises unless you just can't get over the fact that it's a metal riser.

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arrow4Christ:
I have a Master Hunter and a 21" Dalaa. The Master is a 17" riser with long limbs making it 62" and the 21" has medium limbs making it 64". I prefer the 21" making a longer bow. It seems quicker, more forgiving, and I love the huge sight window. I've owned a 17" Dalaa as well and while the Master Hunter is a better riser, you probably would not be able to discern a difference in the two. David Soza engineered two amazing bows here, and his connection is superior to an ILF connection, though not quite as convenient. It was designed for hunting to be more solid and quiet. Any ILF limb can easily be converted to Davids system in 10 minutes or less, it just requires switching from the ILF Dovetails to the DAS system.
I love the Winex limbs on both of my bows, however, the Dalaa limbs are great quality.
I've gone through several top of the line bows in my search for my "ultimate" recurve and I knew I found it with the DAS line because they combine top of the line smoothness, speed, adjustability, versatility, and reliability. I really can't think of any compromises unless you just can't get over the fact that it's a metal riser.
Yep, just got my 21" risered Dalaa shoots great for me.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Lenny Stankowitz:

I anticipate, like other best-quality products, its value will increase. And because of its scarcity, when price-value increases, the rise will be steep and quick.
If that were the case, why wouldn't you snap up Jason's riser before the steep and quick price jump?  Seems like a sure thing. [/b]
Accepting sarcasm as being reasonable, I have what I need for the remainder of my life. Collecting just to have "more" is a vice I have not yet acquired. Don't you think its time to return to the query?

Offline Stu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
I've been off this site for awhile as I only frequent during the winter & hunting season, but did buy a Dalaa 17" about two seasons ago. I've shot & owned many bows: Bear Custom Kodiak TDs (my faves) &  many many other Bears, Assenheimer, Dan Quillian, Martin, longbows, many other recurves, but after much shooting have decided again that the Dalaa is the  most 'intuitive' bow I've ever shot. It hits where I look and is, quite simply, amazingly accurate. About my only dislike is the cold of he forehand on the metal, but as I hunted w. a Bear Mag TD before this I guess I can take it.  

I've shot BW--nice--but never owned one & many people love 'em, so will not comment on those but as I've progressed a bit in years have been thinking the Dalaa is the best bow I've ever owned. I shoot mine off the shelf, set it up via the info from Dalaa/3 Rivers and haven't looked back. Mine simply shoots. If your are looking right & form is right, they are kind of amazing, IMO

Mine is not ILF, just basic Dalaa. Have fun thinking about it & shoot one if ya can.

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by cch:
Nathan, Yes  any ILF limb will fit the Dalaa riser. You just have to push out the ILF dovetail with a vise and insert the DAS bushing. It takes about 5min. The reason I don't like the ILF connection is that when it is unstrung it clanks around and the first time I installed a set of limbs on a riser and lifted it by the upper limb it fell out and crashed on the floor and chipped my lower limb. When it is strung no problems. Sid I think will even set up his limbs with the DAS connection for you if you order from him.  Later, Chris.
Yes, thanks Chris, after some searching around I found the instructions for doing the ILF to DAS conversion...  seems easy enough   :)  
Seems that the consensus is that the das system is quieter than ILF... good for hunting   :)  
Now I need to decide if I am going to go for the short riser with long limbs to make a 62" or a long riser and shorter limbs to make a 64"  ( I draw 29".... my target limbs on my widow PSA are long to produce a 62" bow and are noticeably nicer to my fingers than the 60" hunting limbs I have for the same bow)
Any opinions?

Nathan

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all the info! Lots to think about here, really appreciate it  :)

One more question (sorry)  how is the limb allignment on the das master or Dalaa riser? Is there any asjustability here?

Nathan

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 03:59:00 AM »
I have what I need for the remainder of my life. Collecting just to have "more" is a vice I have not yet acquired. Don't you think its time to return to the query?
Very well.  I just thought that by the way you were talking, it would be like money in the bank.  An investment more than a collection.

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 08:48:00 AM »
Nathan, The DAS risers do not have any limb alignment adjustments. I have the first generation riser and just traded away an Elite. There was never an alignment issue with the limbs I put on. I think if the riser is built strait you shouldn't have any problems. I don't think I have heard anyone complain that the limbs were not strait on a DAS.

I draw 29" and am shooting a 60" bow but am also shooting 3 under. If you are wanting this for a hunting bow then get the short riser but if you do more comp. them get the longer one. Chris.

Offline buejeger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Well i just got off the phone with Jason and his 17" DAS master will soon be winging its way to me here in Norway  :)
I have some new Border hex4 hyperflex core limbs on there way too which will give me about 60# at my draw on a 62" bow,,,  mmm gonna be good for the piggies next year  :D
But you know  as my friend Margly says you just can't have enough bows....   :knothead:  
So I also fell for a Bybernardini Mamba 19" ILF riser and have ordered some Border hex 5 (H)    :eek:   limbs for this too, giving me about 55# at my 29" draw they will be arriving some time in january... christmas is coming both early (the DAS and hex4) and late (the Mamba and hex5) this year    :help:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©