3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly stick seconds  (Read 322 times)

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly stick seconds
« on: October 21, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
I was aondering who sales the Grizzly stick seconds?  I have shot grizzly sticks and would like to try some but can't really spend the money for the full price first runs.  Also does anyone know much about the quality of them?  I have tried the GT seconds and compared to the first runs I don't really care for them for various different reasons.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly stick seconds
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
There is a company (Bowhuntingstuff.com) selling Grizzly Stick seconds on that big auction site. I have a friend who bought a few dozen from them. Long story short: run, don't walk away from that guy. The shafts were total junk (spined all over the place, crooked etc.) My friend had to get his credit card company involved to get his money back.

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
I tried 6 grizzly stick seconds from abs and 4 of the 6 was bowed and not usable.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Every Grizzly Stick second I've ever seen was terribly bowed. I dont mind buying a factory second carbon arrows that has smudges in the paint, but I'd prefer my carbons to be kinda straight when I got em.

Offline sdpeb1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
yep, I think they got all these seconds when they turned the manufacturing over to the Chinese. Prior to that the were made in the U.S., I think SouthBend fishing company was making the shafts- not no more- Steve

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:25:00 AM »
Yep...same China that took the men's bronze medal in the 2008 Olympics, and the women's gold medal.  Most Asians are very good at manufacturing...especially bows and guitars, not to mention cars.  

I would think there would be seconds when tooling up to make any arrow shafts; the problem is someone thought it was okay to sell them to the public.   "[dntthnk]"  I'm not sure I would put all that on the Chinese 8^).   And...you can probably buy good firsts from other manufacturers for the same price as seconds Grizzly Sticks.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I've been playin h@#$ trying to get my seconds to tune.  Ready to switch back to my Goldtips.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
George,

sdpeb1 is correct. My friend had a long ceonversation with Ed about these shafts because he was trying to find out who to talk to at Bowhuntingstuff.com to get the problem resolved. Ed told him that the reason he got all these seconds was the same reason he no longer sells those particular shafts: production quality was horrible.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Tim,

My friend had the same problem. The vendor he bought them from on that auction site told him they were all hand spined at .270. When we checked them on my spine tester they came in between .290 and over .400. That's basically a spread of three different spine classes.

There may be a lot of good, quality deals on seconds out there. But the Grizzly Stick seconds being sold by Bowhuntingstuff.com are complete garbage.

Offline Pegg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
I have 3 grizzly stick 2nds and have never had an issue. I got them from a guy and they were bare shaft and I dont think he ever tried them. I guess I am a lucky one i guess. Two are the same weight and the other it off by 4 grns. Not to bad.
If today was perfect, There would be no need for tomorrow

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I myself would stay away from the 2nds and stick with the 1st, I have 6 of them I got from abs and all are great. I would rather know I have 1st quality when it comes to shooing at game, instead of trusting 2nds risking a wounded animal

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
Are you guys talking about the 2nds in the tapered Grizzly stiks like Sitkas and alaskans or the parallel shafts like the Woodies or Banshees.

I got 2 dozen parallel shafts from Bowhuntingstuff.com and they were horrible for my bow.  I don't know if the tapered shafts are the same way or not.

I really like the GT 7595 and the GT Big Game 100s.

...And Landcruisers that are still made in Japan.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by George D. Stout:
Yep...same China that took the men's bronze medal in the 2008 Olympics, and the women's gold medal.  Most Asians are very good at manufacturing...especially bows and guitars, not to mention cars.  

I would think there would be seconds when tooling up to make any arrow shafts; the problem is someone thought it was okay to sell them to the public.    "[dntthnk]"   I'm not sure I would put all that on the Chinese 8^).   And...you can probably buy good firsts from other manufacturers for the same price as seconds Grizzly Sticks.
I think I owe you a handshake.  In fareness though, they "design" a great car.  WE taught them how to "make" the car...or actually W. Edwards Deming taught them how...but that's a different forum.
Micah 6:8

Offline M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
I know a man that has made repeated trips to China because the factories have an issue with quality control. Seems they get the first ones right to get the contract then it is downhill from there. He works for a cell phone manufacture.

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
Be careful if you buy the seconds.  I have some tapered sitkas in seconds I bought directly from ABS.  A couple of them have nocks that have one "ear" shorter than the other and a hole in the plastic.  I knew I was getting "seconds" in terms of shaft straightness but was unaware the nocks would be of lesser quality as well.  Now I have to spend extra $ to buy replacement nocks as I will not shoot these.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©