3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: POLL - What are the "MUST" days to be hunting?  (Read 461 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
POLL - What are the "MUST" days to be hunting?
« on: October 21, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
With the whitetail rut coming, what 5 days do you believe a bowhunter should definitely be in the woods?
Lon Scott

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: POLL - What are the "MUST" days to be hunting?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
In Oregon, the late season bowhunt does not start up until November 21st this year in my area.

If I could be in the woods legally hunting, I would have said November 11 through 15.

I am hunting Ohio the first full week of November based on the gents that invited me out there and their success and observations.

It appears to differ from state to state. In Mississippi from what I gather the rut doesn't start to kick in until January.

In California the rut for Blacktail starts in September.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
I only picked one, but really, all of the above!  I seem to have had my best luck a little earlier so I put down Nov 1-5.  Does aren't ready yet but the bucks sure are looking around and trolling for ladies.  Seems that once the does actually come into heat a buck will hang with them in some secluded corner and they don't move much until he is done with her.  

Toward the middle of the month seems like it is more feast or famine for me.  It can be incredible, but as often as not early in the month is better.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
If we have cold weather i like the first 5 days of nov, but if its warm they chase all night,Then i would pick the second week. By then the bucks in full rut.Hard to pick the best days I will hunt every day for the first 2 weeks of november.Then its time for the kids to hunt .The main reason i like the first 10 days is my bucks are in their core areas.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbowben:
If we have cold weather i like the first 5 days of nov, but if its warm they chase all night,Then i would pick the second week. By then the bucks in full rut.Hard to pick the best days I will hunt every day for the first 2 weeks of november.Then its time for the kids to hunt .The main reason i like the first 10 days is my bucks are in their core areas.
Please let it be cold, please let it be cold   :pray:  for cold.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Rogue Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
Since I too will be hunting Oregon and am unfamiliar with whitetails I will say the best days will end in the letter Y.
A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter has no gallery to applaud or disaprove of his conduct.    Aldo Leupold

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »
I voted other, the last 5 days of october here. our rut starts around the 19th or so and by the end of the month them boogers are all lworked up cause the does ain't ready and just blow'em off for a couple weeks. I just found my first scrape over the weekend and it was fresh as they come.  :bigsmyl:
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
Her in my part of Texas it appears the best day tohunt is everyday!!!! But 19-25 Nov is when I kill the biggest bucks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
It changes a little every year but a few days before and after the full moon is the time to be there here.Will be the last days of Oct and first days of Nov this year when the odds go up for horns. :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:08:00 AM »
Pre rut, whenever that is in your state.

another 2 cents is all.

God Bless.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I've shot 6 bucks on Nov. 8th, so I guess you know how I voted   :D
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Any day that you ain't got work to do.  :)

Other'n that, I use the almanac to pick and choose days.

Farmer

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
Nov. 1-5 if the weather is cool. Bucks are moving and the hunting pressure is lighter, As the rut kicks in and gun season approaches there is way too much hunting pressure and I just seem to have less success.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
In my neck of the woods I've seen more big bucks killed Oct 30 and 31. Those are going to be my MUST HUNT days this season. But if I could I'd streach it into the whole month of Nov. Who am I kidding I'd take off from Sept 12 for our opener to Feb 20 when the season closes just because I hate going to work during hunting season.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
I think they are all good, but I would choose Nov. 1 to be my groundhog day (movie) if I could.

Just because...

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
i like the last 5 days of October
Make a life, not a living

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
If I could only hunt ONE day a year it would be November 6th...  I picked the 6th thru 10th...
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
The late season for whitetails in the area I hunt here in WA opens on November 10...so that's the perfect choice for me.  That second week has always been pretty active in the past.
Lon Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 01:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
The late season for whitetails in the area I hunt here in WA opens on November 10...so that's the perfect choice for me.  That second week has always been pretty active in the past.
Lon,

Is there much public land to hunt for late season whitetails in your area?

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 01:57:00 AM »
My favorite single day is also Nov 8th.

However...my old friend and huntin' bud always used to claim that when it came to big bucks, the kind that you never see but once or twice a season, his very best days were the 14th to the 17th of November.  His theory was that the big boys didn't always get cranked up with the younger bucks earlier in November but come the second week they'd start getting serious but were still awfully careful about it.  By the end of the second week the willing does were getting a little scarce and the big boys who were "gettin it" all week wanted more and so would start to roam farther from home and get caught out in daylight a lot more often.  This guy was the best deer hunter I've ever hunted with personally and most theories of his made good sense to me anyway.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©