3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any one not wear camo and or cover up scents when hunting ?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any one not wear camo and or cover up scents when hunting ?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
Wow and I was thinking to myself I was the only one that didn't wear camo or scents.....
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
I do wear camo. I already had it before I became "enlightened". I figure camo can't really hurt.No cover scents. It has been shown that deer can see blue so I don't wear blue.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline preflex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by adkmountainken:

Preflex,
          i do not wear camo becouse i think the price is OUTRAGEOUS and RIDICULOUS, plaid blends just as well.
thats what i was thinking and trying to say but with out saying anything against camo but the flannel breaks up the human shape same as camo ya just dont get to look like a tree
Damon Howatt mamba recurve 60# @28"
martin jaguar takedown 40# @28"
"water proof in is water proof out"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
i here ya, i am pretty set in my ways regarding camo and what i think, no other way to say it, OUTRAGEOUS.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
New camo is very high in price. That's why I get the "new to me" stuff on Trad Gang. But I don't think anyone "needs" camo to be an effective hunter. This week I packed a bunch of leaves and pine cones in a plastic bag with my hunting (outer) clothes. They were free for the taking outside my house.  ;)  Worked fine for a deer at five yards. Although I got busted drawing.....

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
If I'm hunting in an area that gets a lot of hunting pressure I wear my ASAT Vanish Pro 3D leafy suit. If it's a place that only sees one or two human predators a year I may still wear it or just wear some lighter earth tone plaids; but plaid was originally designed AS camoflauge.
I have found I have animals come closer while wearing the ASAT Vanish Pro 3D suit. Sometimes too close, like bumping into me or walking to within 3 feet. Wearing plaid I have never had deer closer than 10 or 12 yards. I know how to stand still. I've only been busted by sight once while on stand. The deer saw me before I saw it and I scratched my nose. One thing to remember is that regardless of weather you decide to wear camo or not you need to do something to dull the shine of your face, either a head net or some camo paint ot some burnt cork. Because if the sun's light hits your pristine clean face, regardless of your skin color, it will shine like a beacon declaring "HUMAN HERE!"
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Oh I forgot to address the cover scent issue.
The only cover scent I have seen with my own eyes seemingly work is The Original Cover Up. I once was in a remote hunting camp and had been four days with only the most simplest bathign situation. I had packed in as light as I could and took only one set of clothes other than under clothes and socks. I took an extra pair of each. I was pretty ripe on the third day even though I had used the military disposible wet towels. The long days of hiking in the same clothes didn't help. Well I decided to try the Cover Up my brother had given me. I sprayed it all over my clothes and found the scent very appealing. Well I had a over a dozen deer come at me from directly down wind that night and pass me on my right at 15 yards. Only a branch, unseen in the fading light, kept my arrow from finding it's mark on a very large mature doe.
I figured it works by counteracting human scent not neutralizing it. Its scent is a deer attractant. Your scent's a deer repellant. I think deer sort of recieve the scents simultaniously and the net effect is null. That is only supposition on my part but it is logical.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I don't wear camo and don't like the pants they sell with too many pockets that are too big and the pants are always too baggy in the leg. Hard to be stealth with those on! (Obviously I have "issues" with hunting pant design.)

I like trim black fleece or green wool pants. I wear wool shirts that are either solid "dull" or a good plaid pattern that matches the colors where I hunt. I am sold on black- ever see a moose in the half-light of the woods? Unless its moving pretty hard to make out.
I don't use masking scents or cover scents. I smell good already!
Actually, any time I come across a spruce or fir tree with pitch blisters I pop some of those and wipe the pitch on my boots or hat brim. Sometimes I wipe my feet in deer or elk poop- I've lost it haven't I ?

Joshua, who hasn't rolled in a wallow. YET.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Cover scent - no.  Camo - yes and no.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
No cover scents or attractants for quite a few years. The deer get wise to that stuff around here.

Have not bought camo in a while either( its personal against all the must have advertising crap) I do  like my old 6 pocket camo pants and then usually a plaid top.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Here in PA we have to wear orange for half our season. Doesn't really matter if you wear camo or not.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
Sometimes I use camo - sometimes not. Plaid shirts often provide just as good effect as the commercial products. A hood to hide my face is crucial but I don't have a non-camo version that seems to work well.

Some times I use scents, but lately I have been in a "play the wind closely" frame of mind. I have just never had many instances where I thought the scents were helpful.
Sam

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Unless you're hunting birds you can wear anything you want.

What humans see.

What animals see.

I don't bother with face masks anymore, and the weather was so hot out west in Sept. that I didn't even wear my wool plaids. Movement is key.  Move when they are looking, you WILL be busted.  Same with cover scents.  If the wind is wrong, no matter what you have on, and they get downwind, it's usually over.  And I know, everyone has had this or that happen, but basic principles still work pretty well.

This bull was probably the fifth or sixth elk I've killed without any camo.  I figure that if I can kill a bull when he is intently looking for me after calling him in, I should be able to ambush a deer that has no idea I'm even in the state.

The best advice I have is to spend the money on some really nice arrows or a new bow.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
I do wear camo but I don't use scents

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
I wear camo, no cover scents.
The work praises the man.

Offline wapitimike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
One thing to be careful of is deer can see Blue and Yellow in the spectrum.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Camo wranglers cost $20  Regular wranglers cost $20.  I have some of both.  Hit walmart after the season or better yet, Beall's Outlet stores down here in Fl and you can buy camo shirts by the shopping cart load for less than $5 each.  

Most of the more rugged and durable modern cold weather gear is made for hunters and it comes in camo and it comes at a price.  I would agree that it is outrageously over-priced.  However, it is darn good stuff.

I am just getting turned on to the concept of Good Will serving as my primary hunting "outfitter" and plan to see what they may have in the way of wool or other options.  However, most of the surplus gear and thrift shop garments that I have seen are of a solid color and have a solitary purpose of providing warmth.  They don't have many pockets and the ones they do have are small.

As for scent products, I have used cover scents and attractants in the past with success.  I have quit using them because they ARE outrageously overpriced and I have gotten a bit lazy about putting them out.  I do still use scent eliminator hygene products and have faith in them.  I know, however, that they are not going to cover slovenly habits.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline bdawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
i have camo i get it on clearance.i bet my buddy i could shoot a deer in a usa olympic sweat suit.he wouldnt take the offer though.good luck guys.bdawg

Offline lb55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
Camo for bowhunting umm yes why not it works and it's cheap as all get out , asprin for headaches, yes, keep clean, wind is wind. keep movement to a minimum, if you can draw your bow without aiming for the stars you should be ok.

Offline matt g meyers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
I would agree that the hunting clothes industry is just another money pit.Yes I can only imagine how nice it would be to hunt in SITKA GEAR but I dont have that type of money to give.
My solution is when my work pants have become worn down I go to the sewing department and purchase RIT clothes die.This also allows me to taylor the exact color scheme for the area.
I realise most game is color blind,but I sure get a good laugh when other hunters walk right past my ground blind.
"this is a weapon from this century...I just made it!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©