3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow stringers are dangerous!!! (pics on page 3)  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow stringers are dangerous!!! (pics on page 3)
« on: October 22, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
I've seen posts about this before, but never thought I'd be part of it.  Safety is always something that I'm conscious of, but it still got me today.

Four or five years ago, I bought a bow stringer on the St. Jude's auction.  I won't mention who it was because this wasn't his fault and I don't want to cause any problems for him.  It's been great, but it wore out.  First, the cup end broke, and I rigged up something to take it's place.  Then, a couple of weeks ago, the tip end broke.  I tried to replace that, but initial attempts didn't work for me -- too big and they slid into the string groove so I couldn't get the string in.  Yesterday I found the old piece that was originally on there, and cut a piece of leather to match it, and put it on the string.

I went out at lunch and was going to shoot a little.  Well, the leather cup broke, under full tension with me leaning over to slide the string on.  The upper limb smacked me in the head.  

My first thought was, "Wow, that hurt", and next was "Hey, where's all this blood coming from?".

I grabbed my handkerchief and applied it to my bleeding eyebrow, and went to the mirror on my Ford.  "Wow, there's blood everywhere".  I got into my vehicle and drove back to the office to see if someone would take me to the ER.  I got to the bathroom, cleaned up the would and decided that an ER wasn't necessary, but I should definitely got the an Urgent Treatment Center for stitches.

I lost count at five stitches through my eyebrow just about centering my eye.  I was wearing my glasses at the time, but they weren't damaged.  Got a little scratch on the bridge of my nose where they were pressed into me -- minor compared to the gash the bow limb put into me.  

I was lucky!!!  Five to seven stitche, still not sure how many they put in.  A mild headache, and some embarassment at the whole situation.  It could have been a lot worse.

BE CAREFUL WITH BOW STRINGERS!!!!

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow stringers are dangerous!!! (pics on page 3)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:33:00 PM »
OK, now that I got that out of the way, I've got to come up with a way to string this bow.  

This is a Bingham's Projects Take-Down Longbow that I made.  Shoots great when I can get it strung.

I bought two bow stringers last week that won't work with it.  It's a hybrid design and regular stringers won't work.  I bought a "universal stringer" and a longbow stringer that is supposed to work for any longbow.  I guess they would if I was eight feet tall and could pull like a draft horse.  The curve on the tips is such that the string lays way back and these two stringers have the kind of end that sits on the limb behind the string and pulls from there.  I can't get them any closer to the tips where they need to be to get enough leverage to pull the tip down to meet the string.

I tried the step through method and again, I'm not strong enough to do it.  Call me a "girly man" if you want, but right now I've got a sore head, stitches, and a bow I can't get a string on.

Any suggestions?

And, I had a friend take a picture, but not sure I should post it here.  Nice little gash that turned my eyebrow into a plus sign.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Marvin

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
WOW!!!  glad your okay, it could have been a lot worse!!!  to me stringing my bow is the scariest part of the whole shooting process.  most of my bows the stringer works fine but the Kiowa I just got has very short limb tips and my stringer gets in the way of the string getting into the grooves, keeps me on my toes for sure!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Sorry to heaer about your misfortune. Instead of trying to step thru, which to my understanding would be effective on a recurve, try a push-pull.  Place your bottom tip down in the arch of your foot, then while pulling the riser push the upper limb tip while sliding the string up to its nock groove. This is how I always string my longbows.
Molon labe

Offline Zenzele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
:scared:  Sorry to hear about your mishap!!! Hate stringing my bows had my 60# Brack 'slip out' of the stringer on me! I only shoot longbows now and I can recommend the Web-ster Stringer that A&H sells. The CX is quite a deflex limbed bow and I have had no trouble with it! Well at least you've got a good war wound to tell the kids about! It could have been a lot worse!   :eek:
'It's better to have less thunder in the mouth, and more lightning in the hand.' - Apache proverb

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
The best and safest is still a bow stringer, buy the best one you can and keep an eye on it. Stuff don't last forever. Replace it when it looks questionable!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Well, actually bowstringers aren't dangerous...people are 8^).   The first issue was trying to fix a bowstringer via home remedy.     :knothead:     I have several laying around and will gladly give you one.  They aren't that expensive really, and if they look worn, they should go in the trash bin....not be repaired.

Glad you're okay.  Now on the inside of your upper limb, write "Stitches" in white marker 8^).
It will let you remember.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
you have a PM
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad you are Okay.

I think old, worn out bowstringers are dangerous too.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Well said George.   :banghead:

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
sorry to hear about ya eye. now if i were you i would use the step through style a lot safer allround  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Another great reason to leave the bow strung and just shoot it daily.  Glad you aren't injured any worse.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
George said what I wanted to say.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by HO'NEHE JEFF:
sorry to hear about ya eye. now if i were you i would use the step through style a lot safer allround   :thumbsup:  
Step-through method will possibly twist or misalign the limbs though, if not done correctly.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
if your new stringer is too long just tie a few knots in the string center...do this until you get the length you want.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »
I'm with sou-paw.  If you're using a longbow and NOT a recurve, use the push pull.  If that is too hard to do I respectfully suggest that you have too much bow weight.

Stingers for the recurves.  Don't use the step though method on either of the types of bows.  That's how you twist limbs -- at least one of the ways.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 05:36:00 PM »
My wife's' uncle died from trying to use the step thru method. The bow slipped and hit him around the eye socket breaking the bone and driving it into his brain. Bow stringers are about the safest way to go. IMHO
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
If the string is too long,  step on it with both feet, shoulder width apart, then lift
ChuckC

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mudd:
My wife's' uncle died from trying to use the step thru method. The bow slipped and hit him around the eye socket breaking the bone and driving it into his brain. Bow stringers are about the safest way to go. IMHO
God bless,Mudd
GOOD LORD!   :scared:   Seriously? That's a very sad story.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »
If the stringer is too long just spread your feet apart further.  You'll be pulling the bow with more power too.  Don't use old, worn stringers!
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©