3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow stringers are dangerous!!! (pics on page 3)  (Read 1129 times)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow stringers are dangerous!!! (pics on page 3)
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Got popped above my right eye with boo backed hickory longbowbow when it slipped out of the cup. I never saw it even move. It was almost strung so the limb had LOT of energy. I bled like crazy! It would have DESTROYED my eye had it hit there instead.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
I swear by the Selway stringer, it works on recurves and longbows. Probably the safest and long lasting stringer out there.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Glad your OK   :knothead:
Larry

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Mudd,  A tragedy to be sure. However I think we have a definition problem.  With the "step through" method the bow is behind the leg and any release of the bow limb would shoot the limb down and away from the body.  The push pull method could cause this type of accident if the individual was unaware of the danger.  I do agree that Stringers are the safest way overall but agreeing with many of the above responses the safty issue is largely an individual responsiblity to know how to do it right.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
About the Selway stringer- I can't use one. It takes about twice the pressure of a normal stringer to even get the limbs to start to bend. What am I doing wrong? I tried it on 58, 60, 62 and 64 inch bows.

Joe

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Maybe I just have to make the stringer longer. It seems the rubber block is too far down on the upper limb.

Joe

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Glad you're OK. I had a stringer cord break on me years ago while stringing up a 60# recurve. The upper limb took me right across the nose. Believe me, that'll cross your eyes! It just taught me to keep my face a little farther from the bow when stringing it. The stringer is still the best way to go. Be safe.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Frisky, slide the block up right against the loop making sure all the slack is out of the bow string and then start to pull up on the bow slowly.  Slide both the block and loop up the limb at the same time as it starts to bend. The block will move up a little higher then stop and you just keep on pulling as you slide the string up on the nock.  If you do it this way you can get the block closer to the tip which makes it easier to string.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Thanks Molson. I've have to work at using the Selway, as I've had it sitting around for 5 years unused. My bows string nearly effortlessly with my traditional cup stringer. The Selway, even stringing a 45# bow, is a back breaker!

Joe

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 02:21:00 AM »
Wow!  Sounds painful.

I'll be the first one to ask I guess.... how about those pictures????? (Yea, I rubberneck wrecks on the highway too...)

I've tried stringers too and never liked them I feel safer, and more in control with the push pull method but I take care to note the "line of fire" and turn my head.  There is one other method for stringing a longbow though that works great especially if you have to fight the bow hard under normal stringing.

Put your back to a wall and put the bottom limb tip against the floor and wall.  Lean the bow out away from you and hold it just below the string loop on the top limb.  Put a toe of one foot on the lower limb up near the fades and put the knee of the same leg against the upper part of the bow.  While pulling the top limb with your hand, slightly slide your back down the wall and let it put pressure on your toes and knee where they contact the bow.  Might have to push a little with your foot but it's a real easy to flex the bow and it's all directed away from you.  When you bend the limbs enough, slide the loop up into place and ease off the tension.

One thing I always do is to turn my head away a bit and I also turn the bow to horizontal with the string to my legs immediately after stringing (by any method).  Once the bow is turned this way, it's safe to look directly at it and ensure the string is in the groove ON BOTH ENDS.

I once strung a recurve and while the top loop went into the nocks nicely, the bottom loop evidently came partially out.  I turned the bow to inspect the top loop and BAM!  It unstrung and the top tip came back and knocked a hole in my chin that made me look like Kirk Douglas for a couple days.  Lucky it wasn't my eye on that one.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 05:19:00 AM »
I never had the bow slip with the push-pull. What I have done though, is having the loop somehow "missed" the nocks, so the loop slided down the upper limb and pinched my index finger so hard that all I could do was to slowly slide my finger all the way down the limb, while it being squeezed really, really hard by the string. The pain was extreme, and my finger was all bruised and swollen from the pinch.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 07:36:00 AM »
I have used two selways stringers now for years. Never had a problem, never had it slip, never had it pop off the tip. I like them because they really cover the entire bow tip; which feels more secure to me. BTW, I use it on recurves and longbows.

But I can tell you I really dont like stringing and un stringing my bows. I have read too many stories like this one. So, I am very aware of everything when stringing a bow.

And I agree with George, its not worth trying to repair a stringer, and you probably will never do that that again.

Sorry to hear of your accident and I hope you heal up well.....glad it didnt cause any permantly damage.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 08:11:00 AM »
The wife's uncle was definitely using the step thru method. His grandkids were visiting and had found an older recurve down in the basement. Naturally they wanted to have fun with the bow. They couldn't find any arrows so grandpa took them to town, bought some arrows. They all hurried home to shoot the bow. Being inexperienced with bows,he was struggling with it causing him to bend/lean over the bow and move his head close to and over the backside of the upper limb. The whole thing was an avoidable tragedy. The fact that the grandkids were standing right there made it all the worse.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
OK, I'll post a couple of pics in the interest of education.  Mods, if these are too graphic, let me know and take them off.  Don't want to offend anyone or scare small children, but this is probably something that people should see.

Here is the before shot.  This is 20 minutes after it happened and just after I got the bleeding stopped and did some preliminary cleanup.  Swelling hadn't really started yet.

And this one is this morning.  Eighteen plus hours after and with the stitches.  Can't really see the nice purple color of the eyelid in the photo, but you get the idea.

Good comments from everyone.  I'll respond in a few minutes.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »
OK, so good info presented here.  Might help someone else avoid this thing in the future.

Dave, I may have to try that wall method.  Sounds promising and less dangerous.  

George, I like that idea on keeping score.  This bow has been blooded, but it's all mine to this point.  First laminated bow I've made and I want it in the woods.

A little about the bow.  Bingham's Project made from their plans.  Radical Take-Down Longbow (68 inches) with limbs to make a 55 pound finished product.  I never put it on the scales to see what it actually came in at, but it's heavier than my 50 pounder, and shoots the same arrows.

I think I'm going to name it "Tyson" since it looks like I got clocked with a good left.

What I'm trying to say here is that it isn't the length of the stringer, it's the design of the bow.

I didn't want to talk brands on the stringers, but since several of you brought this up, I'll comment.  I knew I had problems with the old stringer.  I bought two from Three Rivers last week.  One was the Selway Longbow stringer.  The curve in the limbs is such that when I put the stringer behind the string, it is a pretty long distance from the tip, and the part of the limb that is bending is a lot stiffer than the tip.  If I could get it closer to the tip it wouldn't be a problem.  I can't slide the rubber tip up behind the string since there is a lot of pressure on it once it starts bending.

The other stringer I bought was the Universal Stringer from Three Rivers.  Same problem.  Placing it behind the string doesn't allow enough pressure on the tip.

I'm not bashing either of the above stringers.  I think they are good quality and would be great.  But this bow is hard to string and this design isn't good for this bow!!!

I went back to the old stringer and tried to repair it because I couldn't get either of the two new ones to work.  My leather wasn't strong enough.  The failure was in the leather cuff that I made.  I needed better leather.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
I use push-pull on all bows (curve and long). Never had a problem- and I never look down either! If done carefully I can not see how it can twist a limb.  The same pressure points as a stringer but with better control/feel for me. After it is strung you immediately turn it the other way. . .then check it.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline FoMoCo429

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
that sucks. i hope i dont have that same issue. gald to see you didnt hit your eye

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Have you tried using two feet on the stringer at shoulder width or more, making a "trapeziod" shape?  That puts the pull out on the tips....
something that works for me on longer bow (68").
 You might need to have the cord longer to do this (though I haven't).

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Marvin, that's about the same sort of trouble I had when using a stringer with the rubber slide block.  It was a real bugger to slide that block on the limb when I had pressure on it.  I'm a pretty good sized guy and it was a strain.  Plus I was always afraid of a tip popping out of the stringer pocket.  

I just feel more comfortable using the push pull.  If you can draw your bow easily, the push pull is even easier as you only "draw" it to brace height.  It's like any other mildly dangerous activity, there are certain precautions you have to take when doing it.  Done properly, you should never have a problem.  Kinda like hunting in general.  I trust my hands and arms not to fail without giving me ample warning.  I can't say the same for a bow stringer.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
BobW,

Always shoulder width or wider.  I'm reaching well below my knees when I start.  Lenght isn't a problem.

And I freely admit I'm not the strongest guy out there, but I had no problem stringing this bow with the stringer I started with.  

The design of the bow makes it hard to use a stringer that you have to set behind the string.  Once pressure is on that rubber piece, it doesn't slide easily, if at all.  It needs to be on the tips.  But the one I had (and repaired) failed.  I think the leather I used was dried out and had no "give" to it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©