3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety Harness ?  (Read 494 times)

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
Safety Harness ?
« on: October 22, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Looking for opinions on treestand safety harness' under $100.  So far, I've looked at the Trophyline ArmourLite and the Seat-O-The-Pants (SOP) Fastback.  I'd like to have a good vest style system, but the good ones are too expensive, and the cheaper ones look like junk.  The stiched/web-style harness that I'm using now is just scary.

Been watching the classifieds, but decent vests go so quick I rarely see them till they're sold.

Sooo... Anyone use the ones I've mentioned, or have suggestions for alternatives?
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety Harness ?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
I purchased the Trophy LIne, and although I haven't used it yet, I think it is a great value, for a Vest type, that should be easy to put on.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
I've been safe with the SOP for years.  I feel really good about it!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Hunter Safty "treestalker" vest.. Great value under $70.00..

Call Mike at the Nocking Point, he ordered mine for me in September.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline LPM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »
I have a tree stalker vest.  All I can say is for Gods sake keep the leg straps tight.

I think that you are in for a nasty injury if you don't.  My straps dont locate very well.  Maybe this condition has been changed since I bought mine.

I added a couple of straps to ensure that in case of a fall the leg straps stay against my legs.

I guess I could cross the straps and add an extra incentive not to fall....ah.....no....nope!!

Seriously though,  I lost a best friend to a broken stand.  barely in his twenties and an only child.

I wish he could have had a hunters saftey system vest on.

hunt safely and for the right reasons guys.
LPM

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Curtis, Just price it out. How much is your life worth to you and your family? How many times a year will you wear it and how long will it last. It's like a good pair of binoculars, spread out over some time it's a good investment.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
I too have a Hunter Safty vest harness and like it alot. Ive had it for 5 or so years. I bought it from a real small archery shop in the pine grove pa. area. I actually had to knock on the  front door of the guys house and he'd then tell me to go around back and he'd  meet  there and lead me down to his basement archery "shop" I think the tag on that harness was $69.00. Definitley under $100. Dont know what it costs now but if I had this one lost or stolen I'd pay whatever they cost now within reason for a replacement. I put it on in the yard or when i get out of the truck and i honsestly dont know I'm wearing it. Complete comfort. I did one major modification that Im sure isnt recomended or even smart but I'm 100% satisfied with the results and Im sure the results of a fall with this modification would be 10 times better than without wearing the harness at all. With the legnth of the restraint that comes with this harness I cant shoot a 25 degree or so area directly behind me. Ive added a legnth of climbing rope to my harness so that Theres nowhere I cant shoot.  Should I take a spill I will fall a foot or so further and harder tho. I know I probably void all waranties, and this isnt that smart, etc. etc. but it has to be better than hitting the ground, or missing a big buck. I'll take that chance.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
So, $150+ will buy me additional protection versus a sub $100 rig?  No offense, but I have my doubts.

I don't hunt out of trees exclusively, but when I do, it's a hang on stand with metal stick ladders running up the tree beside it.  I don't think the most expensive vest will keep me injury free in the case of a stand failure.  I wear a harness to (hopefully) keep me from being killed or paralyzed if I do fall.

I'm willing to pay a certain premium for comfort and convenience, but there are limits.  Not saying you shouldn't spend more if you want to.  I'd just like to find the best value, comfort, and performance in a harness that will break a fall, keep me in an upright position long enough to improve my situation, and be well made enough that I don't look at it with skepticism and disgust every time I donn it.

I'm gonna try not to fall!    ;)    Ya'll do the same!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
The Hunter Safety System vests are great as they are for climbing stands. But if you use the fixed stands with the tree sticks be sure and get the linemans belt for added security when disconnecting to climb upon the stand. Most falls come at that time or when leaving the stand and stepping onto the sticks to climb down.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
I picked up a Muddy Outdoors harness.  Best fitting, light weight, easy to use harness I've owned.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
I'll second Mike's comment about Muddy Outdoors Harness.  Not sure about the price but it is simple, easy, quick to put on, and comfortable.  

Plus they are located just up the road from you in Lebanon, MO.
Check out their website.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:05:00 AM »
Original Seat O the Pants works great for me.  I'd like to try one of the vest type but haven't needed to replace what I have.  Got a vest type for my daughter from a fellow tradganger that came with a Loggy Bayou stand and it's real nice.  Doesn't fit me, but is perfect for my daughter.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
My SOP fastback came in last week.  Got it from Bass Pro Shops with a grand toatal of $100.94 shipped.  Dont let the .94 cent hold ya back.

I was worreied about being comfy and not getting tangled while trying to shoot.  Let me just tell ya, after the 1st time I used it, all my worries were laid to rest.  I wear it under my ASAT leafy suit.  I put it on at home the dress in my leafty suit when I get to my hunt.  

I wont be up a tree with out it.  Very quite, I can put it on in the dark.  I havent tried any of the others but as for the SOP.  I would recommend it to anyone.

Good luck.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
Just FYI for anyone else interested, looks like Bass Pro has all their HSS vests on sale.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
when I put up my hang on stands I use a lineman belt on the way up (as I am putting up my ladder)
when I get to the top I Install my fall guy twenty
foot retractor to my harness, then I mount my stand. To me the only diff. in harness is comfort
and ease of use when it comes to the cost.That said,I would not be without the belt or the Fall
Guy Retractor.I would never put a price tag on
safety and I am not a rich man.

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 01:23:00 AM »
Real statistics: 83% of those falling 11 feet or more die. I worked at an industry where 2 individuals fell to their deaths. One a 25 yr old male - left a wife and 2 children. He didn't tie off his harness on a demo'd building stucture.  The other fell in a pit - floor-door left uncovered- she left family too. I and hundreds there have had 40 hrs of fall protection training - including evaluating harnesses/tie-off points, lanyards, etc.  I use the original SOP with one important modification. I added a horizontal chest strap to hold my shoulder straps closer together in front of me to ensure they STAY on my shoulders. Most don't realize a forward (head-first) fall (like sitting in a treestand)will project you through and completely out of your shoulder straps when your middle-of-the-back tie-off lanyard pulls on you as you fall.

I don't like the HSS vest or similar designs - b/c leg buckles are positioned in front-giving an BAD angle to the crotch-(it will split you in half- ie."Drawn & Quartered".  Instead leg strap connections should be positioned on the outside (Rgight & Left) of the leg/hip, where the fall will transfer force to your REAR and THIGHs (biggest muscles and bones in your body). The SOP has D-rings for a climber's belt for hanging steps/hang-on stands - get a stiff climbers belt or similar.

You are right - it's not $, it correct design of what it's supposed to do.

Suggestions:
Always wear the correct design,
Always tie off,
Keep the tie-off point as high on the tree as you can (ie. no slack in the tie-off lanyard when you sit down - you fall fewer feet that way and minimize energy your body will feel = Mass x Acceleration^2)
Get rid of the heavy steel "carabiners" and get a real aluminum carabiner (light, quiet, double-locking type rated for climbing -5000 lbs)
Never use hardware store or Wally world caribiners - they're made to hold about 50 lbs max.
Whatevery you get, make sure your harness had a mid-chest strap to hold the shoulder straps close.  
If your tie-off lanyard has "sewn-in" force "suppression" or "bungee-type" supression, make sure you know it's max expanded length. Otherwise, in a fall (say 10 feet) you may hit the groud before it "bottoms out" - not a good outcome - that's the other reason you keep all slack out of the tie-off lanyard (tie-it off ABOVE your head - not at waist or chest level)
Hunt safe.
CoilSpring

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 03:00:00 AM »
Coilspring... is it just me; or are we lacking as a group: not knowing enough about treestand safety?

Lets see some set ups; and how this should be done right and make this a long topic discussion..   :help:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Online toddster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 05:43:00 AM »
In my opinoin, tried seat of pants, gorilla, and few others, I know they are more but the Hunter Safety sytem for me is the best.  Goes on quick and easy, don't even know you are wearing it, only thing I wish was different was it was in ASAT

Offline RonD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Brian, excellent observation and I agree with you and would like to see more in-depth info on this topic.

Coilspring can you post photos of the horizontal chest strap on your harness?  Any additional photos you have that would help improve my safety would be appreciated. Have you shared your insights with the Hunter Safety Systems manufacturers and other manufacturers of safety harnesses?

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Went to Bass Pro today, but they were either out of size/stock or wouldn't honor their online sale prices for most of the HSS vests...typical Bass Pro crap.  They were also sold out of the SOP harnesses, which is what I probably would have gotten.

I ended up buying a Trophyline ArmourLite harness.  After adjusting everything and getting it set up tonight, I can give a few impressions;

Pros:  Tons of adjustablility, pretty comfortable once it's set up for you, and very secure feeling.  Heck, I felt safer than normal just standing in my living room!    ;)    The design is optimized to keep you in an upright position in the event of a fall, and has a built in seat and controlled tension release buckles on the leg straps.  It also has a mid-chest buckle to help keep you inside the shoulder straps.

Cons:  A little daunting when you first start trying to get it adjusted.  Instructions were vague (some of us need pictures), and there are lots of long straps to deal with initially.  Once you have the harness adjusted to your body/fit, it's no longer an issue.  It's also a little heavier than you would expect a harness system to be.  My biggest gripe was that the packaging seems to indicate it has a climbing (lineman's) belt included, but once you get everything sorted out, it becomes apparent that's a "sold separately" accessory.  (There are hard attachment points on the harness for a climbing belt.)

The instructional DVD that's included is your standard TMA "use treestands safely" stuff, and the rest is one big infomercial for the Trophyline Tree Suit.  The harness you just purchased isn't even shown in the video.    :readit:    I appreciate everyone's comments and advice.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©