3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbons - spine weakening  (Read 461 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbons - spine weakening
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Maybe it's been discussed here before, but I can't seem to find anything.

How many of you carbon shooters notice your arrows loosing spine strength after shooting them a good while?

They say they are either lost or broke, but I have to disagree.  I've shot Gold Tips, Carbon Express and Beman MFX's over the years.  All of them start flying poorly after about a year or a little more.  

I really can't relate "exactly" how much I shoot, just depends.   But, this time of year and sometimes during the Summer it's not uncommon for me to shoot a few hundred arrows or more a week.

Anyhow, after shooting a little the other night and just not hitting well at all, I started trying to pick apart what the hell I was doing wrong.  After banging my head, I remembered those other times and switched to some new shafts to check......problem gone.  I guess that's the most frustrating part, you don't know quite when it's gonna happen.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbons - spine weakening
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
I've noticed the same thing as well.  I probably should cut them down 1/4" or so.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
Was thinking the same, but I keep my arrows as short as I can to help with pass throughs while hunting.  They're only 1/4"  longer than my draw, so cutting them isn't an option.  Next dozen I buy, I'll probably go to the next spine range for a longer arrow, then I can trim them and see how that works.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »
How about spine testing them?  It seems you shold be able to see a difference in spine on a spine tester.  If you can't find a spine tester locally you could send the shafts to me and I could test them.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
My practice arrows have been shot THOUSANDS of times. I started wondering the same thing right before the IBO Trad Worlds when I was shooting 500+ per week. I have a "Hobbiest" spine tester from 3-Rivers. I spined my practice arrows as well as new arrows and there was NO difference in spine. I have been shooting the same practice arrows for the past two years, and I shoot year round, so when I say they have THOUSANDS of shots, it isn't an exageration. All of my arrows are CX Heritage 250's.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
I have some Easton evolutions that are going on 10yrs with alot of shooting out of 75# longbows. No spine change period. Maybe you guys shooting so much your getting sloppy? Don't take that the wrong way! You know what I mean, too much is not always better.
hunt it

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Maybe you got stronger after tuning your arrows and you're coming to a fuller drawer and your draw length has gradually increased over time thus making your arrows react weaker.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Thats it! Your shooting those bows so much your weakening the limbs and they are coming back further.
hunt it

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Guys used to say you could shoot the spine out of aluminums, but I've never heard of it with carbons.  

Usually when I suddenly have shooting issues I find my brace height is off.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
I don't shoot near that much, so can't speak relative to the shooting frequency.

I do have some arrows that I have been shooting a long time from a wheelie.  They have never gotten weaker that I can tell.

What type of carbons are you using?   If they lose spine, I will be sure to stay away from them.

I can honestly say that IMO carbons are the most durable, and will take more abuse (bad shots, hitting rocks, trees)  than any other type of shaft.  They are hard to get up in grain wt., but lb for lb or gr. for gr. they are the most durable.

Farmer

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
I'll keep some handy to check with a tester.  I don't have access to one right now.

I stripped the fletching off a couple to check bareshaft flight and they were weak.  Then picked out some new shafts and they shot great.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
Some of the other comments are possibilities, but I know that some of the beeman mfx coating gets worn off of my carbons, so I would assume that and other wear could affect spine.  I don't have a spine tester, though.

Offline Old York

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Without measuring the static spines before and
then after, it's a subjective guessing-game. Not saying
there's no merit to the possibility....but this is clearly a
case where some simple spine testing would give you cold hard facts.
"We were arguing about brace-height tuning and then a fistmele broke out"

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
What happened is that you form got better and therefore the spine showed weaker. The spine weight doesn't get worn out of them.

Offline Nor'easter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
In the owner's manual of my Ram Carbon QC spine tester, there's a section on spine degradation.  It says spine will degrade with repeated use.  Amount depends on type of arrow, type of target, and amount of flexing the arrow goes through.  Shows up as a remarkable weak spine point rotationally around the arrow.
60" Border Ultra hexIV 58@28
60" Border Ultra hexV 53@28
58" Robertson FatalStyk 52@28

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 12:04:00 AM »
 In the owner's manual of my Ram Carbon QC spine tester, there's a section on spine degradation. It says spine will degrade with repeated use. Amount depends on type of arrow, type of target, and amount of flexing the arrow goes through. Shows up as a remarkable weak spine point rotationally around the arrow.
Starting to think I should pick up a spine tester just to keep track of how my arrows are holding up.

I'll report back if I get my hands on one.

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Sounds like you are on the edge to start with. Then any small fluctuation caused you to be out of spine. Gary

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
P.S. Try a lighter tip

Offline Troy spear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
I think freefeet is right !!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
I'm inclined to think Freefeet is on the right track.  My draw length can vary an inch or more depending on how much I'm shooting.  For the life of me I don't know how, but the tape doesn't lie.  I think the more my back muscles get engaged the less I drop my head to meet anchor, which doesn't change.  I just know to be aware of it and tune it out with point weight over the course of the season.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©