3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Natural groud blind help.  (Read 305 times)

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
Natural groud blind help.
« on: October 23, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Here is a little back ground info first. This is my third year hunting traditional, nothing yet. Last year I decide I wanted to take a deer from the ground and only setup one stand and three ground blinds. Used the stand three times never saw any deer, last year. From the ground blind saw deer, had a date with a 5 pointer every night from the one ground blind but he was always two far out (30 yards) until one day I could have reached out and touched him, but no shot. Last year I also had an 8 pointer put his head into the shooting hole of my ground blind, no shot. He saw me and was spoked but only ran 10 yars away and fed on the other side of a thicket for 20 minutes.
This year I read asbell spot and stalk book and I realized one problem was trying to use a shooting hole and my blinds were to small. So this year, I made my blinds mid stomach high to shot over the blind and much larger.
Last night I had two does pass in front of me 30 to 40 yards out and began feeding to my left. After about 30 minutes they were within 5 yards to my left, I never got a chance to stand and shoot.
One question is when should I stand to get ready? When I first see the deer? Even if there 30 to 40 yards out? How brushed in are your ground blinds? Any other advice?
I'm watching my wind and seeing deer from the ground blinds, can you be too patience? Waiting to long to stand?
Have to say it's a blast hunting from the ground and having deer eye level so close with the heart pounding. Hunted from a tree stand never had that same feeling. Early doe season this year hunted another property and a 8 and 6 pointer were about 7 yards out while in a stand and didn't get the same intense heart pounding.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Natural groud blind help.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
Why do you stand?The less movement the better.I want to be able to shoot from my sitting position or at least kneeling.You need to incorporate that in your practice.

When you get in the blind,make a few practice pulls with the bow in different directions also,so you can be sure everything is clear and you can do it silently.

I get my body turned for the shot at the earliest possible time after seeing the game.Practice shooting in different positions,even awkward ones so you can do that in the field.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Well every situation is different. I shoot and practice from a kneeling position.(both knees down sitting on my heels). I find a nice tree to sit back on or maybe bring a little chair I have(looks like a beach chair..really low bought from wally world online) Keeps me from having to get all the way up. I normally get ready as soon as I see or hear em and I think I can get away with it. I also practice shooting from a sitting position for the quick sneaky deer.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Jimb has it dead on. i practice in my actual hunting seat alot of the time. and i also try and get in position as soon as i can. when an animal is coming in, i have my bow up and in front of me, to sorta block my face from the animal. when im clear for a shot i simply extend my arm out since my bow and string hand is already in position.

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
definately want to see thedeer before they see you if possible.
i never let the bow leave my hand unless i'm - well you know. or getting a snack or coffee-ha.
for me less cover is the way to go. like to use large trees and clumps of trees. sometimes lightly leaf in a spot with found dry leaves on branches that fall from storms. if i do cut stuff it's well before the season.
clear the ground well and if i'm just using a tree truck i will clear the leaves all the way around so i can move with the deer if need be.
wear several different wool coats that best match my stand.
when deer are close i squint my eyes.
lastly be in control, don't let yourself think you need to hurry and shoot. if it doesn't happen you still had a great hunt cause if you get a bad hit you'll regret it.

just my 2 cents worth

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
If they consistently come out in the same spot,move the blind closer look for an outside part of a bend in the path they use and set up their.Deer like us when walking into a bend they look to the inside of the bend and this will allow you time to stand.If you don't have a bend ,Make one use old logs,brush or any natural material.Do this after a good windy storm and your good. we have limited area in New Jersey so we make our own funnels and ambush spots.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Maxflight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
10X sounds your hooked on ground hunting. Good for you.

I'll try and give you some help here because I came down out of trees about 4 years ago. First, without knowing the exact set up of your blind, if you have to stand up then I would suggest not letting the deer get too close. If your background is good then I would stand up slowly as soon as I see the deer, providing the deer's eyes are occupied elsewhere. But another option would be to get a stool or small chair to sit on so you don't need to stand. I bought 2 of the same type; one for my home range and one for hunting. That way I'm practicing from the same stool I'm hunting from.

A second option is a ghillie suit. The most  portable ground blind. You can buy them ready made, but for archery, building them from a kit is the way to go. I bought an archers model a couple of years ago and still had to spend considerable time with scissors trimming it. This past summer I bought a kit (for less than half the price for the completed suit) and made my own in about 2 hours. I was also able to customize the colors closer to the area where I hunt.

Just like any other endeavor, it's a process of trial and error to find what works best for you. As in life, by making mistakes we learn what to do, but more importantly, what not to do.

Hang in there. It sounds to me that you have a good idea of what you are doing. If you think being close at eye level with them is heart pounding, wait until you see your fletching disappear behind the front leg. The greatest natural rush (even better than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane) I've ever experienced.
And I am sure you will get to experience that soon.

By the way I also have Asbell's book and I would suggest you read it again. Too much good info to absorb, at least for me, in one reading.

Good Luck
The measure of a man is by his actions, not his words.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Pratice shooting from a seated or kneeling position.
My best set ups are with the deer passing left to right from behind me.  Deer cannot see through the material and will walk/feed past without a care if the wind is right.
Build your natural blind and sit in FRONT of it..
It only needs to be high enough to be above your head while sitting. This is mostly for deer sneaking in from behind.
Deer will not be able to spot you unless your moving too much when they are close. I sit like a rock hiding behind my bow (which is up and ready). An old nanny doe may look at me but with good camo and NO movement I will get a tail flick and they are back to feeding/walking.

Always let the deer pass you before drawing.  They expect danger from ahead and are focused that way.

Also practice drawing your bow straight back to anchor in "slow motion".  Ground hunting is DEADLY done correctly.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like my blinds may still be to high. I use a nef-seat (? not sure of the name) and my blinds are just over my head, while sitting. I'm looking through holes in the blind to see movement. Yes, I'm leaning against a tree and the blind behind me is taller then I.
I'll lower the front/sides and get in the yard to pratice shooting from the seated and kneeling position.
I used a leafy suit last year was trying out some predator camo a buddy gave, so far this year. I'll keep at it.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
I have never hunted whitetail but I hunt mule  deer almost exlusively from ground blinds when in the low country. I use small chair when possible and I usally dig down 2 to 3 feet to keep the profile of the blind down. I build my blinds weeks or months in advance to let the deer get use to them. If you can put a roof on them they usally won't see your movement. leave small widows to watch thier approach. Good luck and keep the faith.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I was sitting in a natural blowdown Tuesday. I saw the deer coming in and just waited for her head to be on the other side of the tree before moving to get a better position. The doe came in head on to about 15 yards and fed that way for a while. It was in a spot I couldn't get a shot, even when she turned broadside. After that, The only shots I had were out at about 25 yds and I wasn't comfortable out that far.

Anyway, just make sure your feet are clear of debris and your drawing arm won't hit anything. When the deer looks away or gets it's head behind a tree, then you can move. Also, make sure to scan with your eyes for other deer BEFORE you move!

Just my 2 cents,
Charlie

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Not a Pro..but here's some advice

#1... wind has to be in your face..or they'll hang up out of shooting distance.

#2...Good cover at your back to break up your outline will get them closer.

#3.. Approach your blind from the opposite direction you believe the deer will come from... do not trim shooting lanes farther than your comfort zone if youre making a make shift blind... I had a buck hang up on me last year because he caught the scent i left on foilage and then turned and went the opposite direction.

#4.. Remember if the deer are close and unalarmed you are 1/2 way there..be patient ..dont rush.. and wait for the best shot opportunity and body position..

#5.. move your head slowly...deer will pick you off if your moving too fast...

#6.. a quiet swivel stool is nice...

#7.. Everytime you get busted , you'll learn something new...good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©