3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good news for the "sharpening impared"  (Read 293 times)

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Good news for the "sharpening impared"
« on: October 23, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
I am a big fan of Abowyer broadheads-good quality steel and excellent design.  They are not the cheapest but also not in the Silver Flame, Ashby, Samuri range either.  They are well designed and strong but (since I can dull a butter knife) I've had to have my "more skilled" buddies help me sharpen them when I got a new set.  Well the last two orders I have received have been incredibly sharp out of the bag and all I have done is put them on a strop with some shapening rouge for a few swipes.  They pop hairs and all without anyone helping me for a change.  I e-mailed Larry at Abowyer to see "what gives" and sure enough, they have a new process for getting them really sharp out of the package.  That REALLY makes the Abowyer my head of choice now.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good news for the "sharpening impared"
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Cool! when I got my last I was told they were working on it. They got done fast cause this was only about 2 months ago. I'm "sharpening challenged" also. I've tried lots of stuff and the easiest and quickest way I've found is using the paper wheels on a bench grinder. I got a set just like they sell on Alaska Bow,but I got mine from a cooking supply web co."knife sharpener". Good news thanks!!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
way kool. what weight do they come in?

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Best quality heads from a best quality company !

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
lots of weights. just google ABOWYER. I have the brown bear 175 grn. I put a little lead in it to get to 190grn. They make a few styles in ddifferent weights. 120,140,145,175,190,210,215. Good people too.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
I took them to Africa and they pretty much blew through everything I shot at there.  The kudu I killed passed through and was stuck in the ground about 10 yards on the other side.  We kill lots of hogs down here and they are excellent for penetration on these tough animals as well.  Really a great product.
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
anyone considering themselves 'sharpening impaired' needs to get a kme and become an instant 'sharpening guru'.  really.    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Listen to Rob. I'm the Grand Poohbah of America's Worst Sharpeners.  Ron Swartz' KME products can reverse that.

And if watchin the KMEsite videos doesn't give you enough instruction, call Ron. He'll do a speed phone tutorial on you and your in like flin with sharp heads/knives. Period.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
Another nod for Ron and his KME sharpeners.

I paid Ron a visit earlier this afternoon, and I showed him a knife that my 13 year old son sharpened a few days ago with my KME. It was his first attempt at sharpening his own knife. Ron simply couldn't believe how sharp my son got that knife!
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
I got some before the new process and after; both batches only required light stroping and the latest batch really didn't need anything at all. That's the way to go; having dinner with the wife or girl friend is a lot more fun than fighting with heads that take way too long to get sharp, regardless of whatever gizmo ya' got.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©