3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Okay. . .wool is the key. What about long underwear?  (Read 593 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Okay. . .wool is the key. What about long underwear?
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
One thing I have done little research in to and frankly, get confused.  I see the newer marketing of Under Armor, but it is not cheap. Wool still seems to be the historic answer.  

So what are you guys doing for long underwear?  Brands, layering etc. ???
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Okay. . .wool is the key. What about long underwear?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
wool for me. lots of non itch wool longjohns out there
The older I get the better I was

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
Merino wool under layers far better than Under Armour. Not any cheaper and in most cases more $$ but far better and will not break down. My son plays football and all of his 3yr old Under armour is falling apart like nothing I have ever seen before. Best way to describe it is it's coming apart in shards like it shattered. Not the seams but just all over the garments. He loves the stuff but don't forget he's way more active in this than most of our hunting situations. The merino wool I use is made by Ulfrott and 3 Rivers sells it. Great stuff wet or dry it will keep you warm.
hunt it

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Merino wool - I like Under Armor when working out, for Merino wool when hunting.
Mel Riley

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
I also like the Merino wool but when it gets really cold i still break out the Under Armour.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Merino wool from Ulfrotte is the best.  I've been using the stuff for over 5 years now and it is awsome.  Warm, non-itch, and I wear it ALOT and it shows little to no wear.  Not all Merino wool is created equal. Ulfrotte holds up hundred times better than some others that I have tried.  

I have sets of 200 and 400 weights and use combinations or layer both depending on the weather, how cold and what activity.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Poly Pro,Polar-tech Fleece(200,300,or400 wt)and Cabelas heavy weight long johns.DON'T USE THE OLD WAFFLE STUFF,OR ANY COTTON NEXT TO YOUR BODY!!.When I was in the Marine Corps I was in a cold weather battalion (and we always were in the cold weather Norway ect.) I fell in love with Poly Pro and Fleece.But its to each their own.Good luck
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
Wool is still hard to beat- nature has some experience here.  The armor and poly pro are plastic oil based in many cases and burns/melts if it catches fire- Ask Paul Brunner about this.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Safety first that's not the kind of hot hunt you want.But if you can't afford wool you have to adapt to your financial environment.I do agree wool is the best.I am about to buy sheep it's gotta be cheaper than KOM ...lol
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Poly-pro.  Been using if for years.  Skiing, hiking, camping, hunting, you name it.  Very simple to maintain - as it dries after washing rapidly.  The fire thing is always a consideration, but I am okay with it.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
How well does it dry if you wash it slow:)

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Merino wool...under armor sucks, mine went to goodwill. Let the homeless freeze in it.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Ulfrotte would be good but I'm 6'4" and 260 pounds so 3rivers has large and xl? no tall sizes? I've held off till I can find something that fits! Help! 200 or 400? Looked at the cabelas stuff ecwcs looks a lot like underarmour and I dont want to feel clammy!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Hey, hey, hey, there!  The homeless aren't the only ones that shop at Goodwill  :biglaugh:

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm 6'3" and 230(winter weight) and the Polar-Tech fleece at Cabelas(ware I got mine)is by no means snug it's the bottoms you get an xl or xxl and the top an xl on me has a lot of room and they are warm and block wind I am in New Jersey and cold here is 20-30 degrees with wind ( I use a 300 wt ) but this stuff works!it's not tight like Underarmour ( that's what you wear to look at yourself in the mirror and feel like you have muscles)try it, you spent $30.00 on worst stuff that you didn't like I'm sure.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
I don't own any Ulfrotte at the moment but would not heisitate to buy it if I was in the market, I will buy some eventually.  I've been using Stanfields out of Canda for many years, 15++.  I have two sets the same age and have not worn them out, through hunting seasons, cross country sking, snowshoeing, other winter fun.  Other places to look Smart Wool,  Winter Silks, And I'd be pretty darn sure that Ulfrotte is available at more places than just 3Rivers, search some more you'll find it.

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Patagonia capaline.  Comes in 4 different weights.  Been using this for 10 years and think its the best.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Is that by "Versaci".Ware do you get that at? and how expensive is it?
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Follower:
Patagonia capaline.  Comes in 4 different weights.  Been using this for 10 years and think its the best.
This is good stuff!

On an extended hunt wool might be the better option because of its slightly antibacterial qualities.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
I have the Duofold Sportsman. I think it's like 75% Merino wool or something. I wear that under my other stuff when it gets cold here in IL.
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©