3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sitting over a scrape line (Pics added )  (Read 908 times)

Offline Autumn Whitetails

• Trad Bowhunter
Sitting over a scrape line (Pics added )
« on: October 23, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a little help.I have great scrape line going through my property which has 7 scrapes in a 200 yard stretch. I have one area where there are three scrapes right next to each other.Actually two of these scrapes can be considered as one. That scrape is 4' long and 4' wide.I've never seen a scrape that big.There is a perfect tree by the scrapes which would give me a 6 yard shot. I've never hunted over scrapes before and looking for some advise. Should I or shouldn't hang a stand a that spot.

Thanks,
Marc

This is what I found coming to the scrape.I have other bucks but this guy I the biggest.

Autumn Whitetails

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sitting over a scrape line (Pics added )
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Hang it man! lots of deer killed on scrape lines! Probably more so at this time than later around these parts anyway.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Yep i would be hanging me a stand up real quick.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
The buck will check those scrapes until he finds a ready doe(s) has left her calling card and then hunting the scrapes will be pretty unproductive. However, early in the rut when the bucks are ready and the does are not interested the bucks will check them at any time and my advise is be there in the middle of the day (10AM thru 2:30PM). My experience is they get checked then and not when other "deer" activities have the bucks attention.

I would put a stand on the access very near to the scrapes, not the scrapes themselves.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Well said jhg!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Make sure the bedding area isn't 15-20yrd from the multiple scrape area. Then hang the stand and then the deer.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
if the scrapes are fresh..hunt them....once the rut gets going ...theyll abandon the scrapes and have easy picking of does in estrous.......if your not sure if the scrapes are being used ..take a broken branch and sweep some leaves in the scrape before you head back in at night....they will probably be cleared in the morning if its hot....good luck and be very careful of wind and scent.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Two years ago I found a scrape line with 4 scrapes in a 100 yd. stretch, so I just sit back in the brush for a bite of lunch since it was mid-day.  While getting the snack out of my pack, a healthy 4X4 was back on the scrape, never making a sound on his way in.

In essence, set-up now and be there all day.
Lon Scott

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
You can hunt it but make sure you note this scrape area for next year.I've found many times we you get close enough to a mature bucks scrape to get particulars,You contaminated the area and that buck has now become 3x's tougher too hunt but not always.
Good luck and post pics

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Good information guys.This spot had a scrape there last year but nothing like this.I think the rut will start here in a couple of weeks. I will start to hunt late morning and mid day to see what happens unitl the rut kicks off. Thanks again.
Autumn Whitetails

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
Stay on the down wind side and be ready.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline kshunter55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Most scrape activity is at night.  However you never know when he will come by.  I have seen a few mature deer checking scrape lines during the day, but they do it about thirty yards down wind of the scrapes they trust their nose more then anything.
  Get the wind right and try hunting thirty or fourty yards downwind of the scrape line if you are looking for a mature buck.
"The more you put into something, the more you get out of it"  Rick "Rooster" Dirks

Andy Dirks

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Yes, most activity is at night, especially if the weather is warm. However, changing weather and cold fronts mean you should be there all day.
Lon Scott

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
I watched a healthy forked horn tend a scrape. It is in the exact same spot as last year, and the year before that. Never got a shot though. I saw where he cam from though so there will be a stand there soon.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Love hunting scrapes....definitely do it

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Are the scrapes along a field edge, or in some cover?

I believe scrapes along field edges are typically visited in the cover of darkness, especially this time of year when pressure has turned the bucks nocturnal. Those are usually the scrapes I find and they may be all along the edge of a field/woods. I have read (in Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails) that very large scrapes, or multiple scrapes in a small area that are found in some cover, or very near some thick cover, are rare. These are likely primary scrape areas and are the epicenter of dominant buck activity in the area. You are very fortunate to find such an area. The best time to hunt these scrapes is during the pre-rut when the bucks are ready but the first does have not yet come into estrous.

In my area the prime time pre-rut should be starting this coming week into the first couple weeks of November. I like to hunt the hardest from Halloween till gun season on Nov. 15. As mentioned mid-day is an excellent time to hunt them. The bucks will bed down while it's still dark and get up around mid-day to scent check for does along the edges of bedding areas and hit the scrapes that are in the same areas. The next few weeks is the time to start hunting them, but it's a touchy business not to alert the dominant buck of your presence. As mentioned once the rut and chase phase is in full swing with many does in heat, the bucks will be traveling greater distances and less likely to hit those scrapes on a regular basis. When they are chasing, the bucks are much less predictable and could show up just about anywhere. I don't have any personal experience with primary scrape areas, since I have never actually found one, but it all makes sense me.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
During daylight they will be checked from quite a ways downwind. If you get too close you will get busted,and never know it. I'd rather hunt one good primary than a dozen boundary scrapes. Dont ignore the middle of the day this time of year. Now go get em!
Tom

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
I haven't had any better luck at scrapes than a well traveled trail.  That being said I still saw deer in both locations and have had many opportunities.  Like other people said at least you know they are frequenting the area which is a plus not only on your ego but also your chances.
Good luck!

Charlie
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
If you get some rain and a little wind overnight that blows a bunch of leaves into the scrapes, get there early the next day and be there untill he comes along to freshen and clean them.

I agree that usually they are checked from downwind and predicting how far downwind and picking the perfect spot can be tough.

After a front comes through, you have several things in your favor.  Increased activity and a bucks urge to open those scrapes back up.  

As others have said, once the chase gets rolling good, most scrapes get very little attention.

Pick two spots, one where you want to sit, one where you want to hit.  Good Luck

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
This scrape line is deep in the woods and the closest field is 400 to 500 yards away.My property is a great funnel for deer but this is the first I've seen anythign like this.I'm setting a new stand tomorrow and will be hunting Sunday.I'll keep everyone updated if any thing happens.

Thanks again everyone for your help.
Autumn Whitetails

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©