3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking about a new climber. Input please...  (Read 748 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Thinking about a new climber. Input please...
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I have been browsing some sites, and like the looks of the Summit openshot and the Loggy Bayou stalker series.
I am not impressed by the weight.

Anyone have pictures of a climber with a fold up seat? Any makers that you know of besides the two above?

I found a cool little device called an acorn climbing aid, and the demo pages had a picture of what I was thinking would be the ultimate climber design.

Any help appreciated.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline tukudu

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking about a new climber. Input please...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Jamie,

I have had good luck with the lone wolf sit and climb. You are really close to the tree all the way up an down. When you cinch it down it is very solid and real quite. The weight is real nice. Downside the seat sucks. Some say the sit and climb bar restricts their shooting but I have not found it to  be a problem. I guess I like it because it feels safe  tom
"Brothers of the flaming arrow"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Lone Wolf hand climber,13-14 lbs and silent!Seat is a bit small.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Jamie, I have the lone wolf version with the hand climber. I personally dont know how anyone can use it the way it comes. I added a strap to use it as a seat climber and it climbs quietly and is very solid once you are up in the tree.

It doesn't seem to get in the way when shooting at all. It packs quickly and quietly and is very light compared to most. It isn't the most comfortable stand but for me the portability and shootability far outweigh the negatives.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
love my loggy with the cable not the band.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
that acorn climber is awesome!

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Lone wolf hand climber with the seat strap all the way! You can use it either way, I think its easier to use it as a hand climber.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
lome wolf hand climber, thin, light, fast,solid, quiet, but expensive. I paid $325 for mine about 4 years ago. When I think of the time I spend in it year after year it almost seems like a good deal!  I'd pay the $325 again in a second. Great product!!

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Can not go wrong with a Summit or Lone Wolf.

Chris

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
I really like my Summit, completly rock solid and not a bit of noise.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I have a Summit Bushmaster, and Im more than happy with it. I was looking for something lighter, smaller, with a fold up seat-once you reach your desired height.(You know for those multiple mile treks)
The acorn I mentioned is basically a replacement for the hand climber/seat section of the stands. Thats why Im looking for a climber with a seat that folds up...

So far the LB Stalker and the Summit Clear Shot seem to be about the only ones out there...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
the loggy has a fold up seat thats why that acorn climber interests me.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
I bought a Summit Viper something or another in 2003 and have never looked back.  It's been the best addition to my hunting tactics I can think of.  I love it, I can sit ALL day long comfortably, and it still works like the day I got it.  I think it weighs 17 or 19lbs.  My seat slides back.  Never had a problem shooting either.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
I have two Bushmasters. Have had them for a long time. Love them.

In September, I bought an Open Shot Deluxe, with the fold up seat. The folding seat is a great option, but I feel the platform is just a tad too small. It`s the same width, but the distance from the tree, to the edge of the platform is significantly less.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »
Been using a Summit Cobra Extreem since they came out. Had the Summit Cobra(steel version) before that. The ONLY problems I have had is the fact that they are too comfy! Sun comes up and gets in your face and the next thing you know....you've just missed 15 minutes of hunting:)

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
I used the Lone Wolf sit and climb for a few years, then got the hand climber and personally don't think I'd use any other stand.  Very light, completely quiet, and very stable. But they aint cheap.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
The Lone Wolf hand climber seat folds out of the way.  A bungee cord keeps the cable tight to the tree so the seat can be folded flat against it.  I also find the seat quite comfortable.   I do like the older foam cushion better than the newer contoured seat.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I've used the same Lone Wolf for a long, long time. As a matter of fact, it was originally a V-bar stand like the earlier one's were. I got a conversion kit for it when they came out with the traction belt.....I have no need to look elsewhere.

I use it the old way as well, with a bungee/hook combo that holds the back of the climber belt to the tree allowing it to fold absolutely flat against the tree.

As light as the get for a stand/hand climber combo, and I don't think there's another stand on the market that folds as flat.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I hate climbers. That said, the only climber worth even talking about is the Lone Wolf. Nothing else comes close.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©