3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dayone or KOM?  (Read 325 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Dayone or KOM?
« on: October 23, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
I'm in the market for a pair of good wool pant's and I was curious to all of your opinion's! any other brands are welcome!! Jason

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dayone or KOM?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:36:00 AM »
I have had KOM,SI,GW, wool and they were really warm and well made, but every time I wore them hunting I spent 30 minutes picking the stick tites and burrs off when I got home. I sold my wool and bought some of the Dayone bucksuede insulated and with wind stop and it is great stuff. I do like wool power long johns and socks as a base layer when it gets real cold though. Both are well made and it just comes down to preference and the type of terrain you hunt.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »
If your set on wool Gray wolf, KOM, and Sleeping Indian are all great. I haven't seen the Dayone in wool but I have only herd good things about it, although you will be limited to the ASAT camo pattern if you go with the Dayone in wool, not like that is necessarily a bad thing.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 03:41:00 AM »
I can vouch for KOM and they are top notch. I hear dayone is quality made as well but I've never used it. Whatever you decide don't go cheap. The old saying goes: cry once or cry often.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »
Pretty Good Old Saying!!  :thumbsup:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
I have the DayOne wool and like it. For the money it is worth it.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
KOM and Sleeping Indian, both top notch.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
I have KOM, Gray Wolf, Woolrich, Filson...and a couple of others.  The wool that I use the most is the KOM and Filson with an insualted Hidden Wolf vest.  Those three brands are pricey, but they have never let me down!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 09:24:00 AM »
I have the Grey Wolf and love it....just like all good wool products it keeps you warm even when wet.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
I have KOM, Woolrich, some military, and a couple shirts from old mills no longer in business.  It is all better than cotton or the techie stuff...period.  

BUT...all wool is not the same and all weaves and processes are not the same.  Think about how your body reacts to varying levels of activity and comfort.  Walking casually, under stress, or sitting in a stand.  Choose the peocess and weave that works best for you.

Long fiber wool dosen't "itch" as much as short fiber.  Merino wool is smooth and soft as a babys bottom but dosen't make good outter wear.  Crushed wool blocks wind but dosen't breath as well etc. etc.

If you sweaty easily you want to wear something that breaths easily...a looser weave.  But...you may feel the wind blow through it.  If your sitting in a stand you may want a crushed wool as it blocks the wind better but you may sweat more getting to where you are going.

Personally I prefer a looser weave with a external windblocker (heavy vest, dry plus rain gear) if it is real windy.  but that's me.  I have a friend that wears a filson Mackinaw that I would roast in walking about.  He's older..might have circulation issues I don't know about.

Don't be afraid to actually LOOK at the fabric and talk to the MFR about how they make thier garments and what type of fiber and style of weave is being used.

The idea is to regulate your body temp.  Not be cold, at the same time you don't need to be hot either, you want to feel like you are sitting in your living room, dry and comfortable not cold and damp - from sweating.

Don't forget the silk underwear...tops and bottoms.  Nothing pulls moisture better or dries faster.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I have several wool pieces and love them!! I just recently received a pullover from Mike Reed of outcast traditions and that thing is awesome period!! I have the tops but I need some bottoms, I'm not worried about the money, I figure if I buy them once I won't have to by them again unless I outgrow them HA!! Thank's for the replies, Jason

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
I thnk that is one of the dumbest old sayings I ever heard!   *^).

Covey and Scarne, isn't that avatar a bit riske'?
  :p

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
I have Day One wool and KOM. The Day One is slightly lighter, but seems to have a more wind blocking ability. I have been in downpours in KOM for hours and water has never soaked through. I am just begining to use the Day One this season. It is cut large, so make sure you read the sizing information closely! I am impressed with the ASAT camo. Best I have seen so far in the woods. Looks like a spoof until you hang up your coat on a blowdown and then try to see it from 20yds. I agree with above posts, all are good quality, but breathability and cut are important considerations.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
KOM wont let you down, no matter what mother nature throws at you......
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 02:49:00 PM »
I used KOM in the last 15 years of elk hunting,I am been confortable in warm and cold wheater,in the rain and storm.It is designed for tough hunting double layer on the shoulders and elbows cut to don't interfere with your bowstring.Most professional guides and outfitters trust in it.It is expensive?yes but it worth every pennies.The pants are designed to sit in the snow with double layer butt and knees.It is natural scent proof and it improve its qualities with the time
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Scarne

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
George...

"Covey and Scarne, isn't that avatar a bit riske'?"

I really had to think about what you wrote...  for like...longer than a minute.  I figured it out...but it concerns me that it took so long. Not sure what that means but I don't think it is good.
"A man is best judged by what he does when nobody else is watching."

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Maybe George has been looking at those ink blot cards where you try to make an object out of them. I see an arrow wagging in a target..

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Ur... I'm confused, maybe that's a good thing!!! Jason

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Day One ASAT wool is great and makes you "disappear".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©