3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goat Meat  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
Goat Meat
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Ok guys and gals, I need help on cooking some goat meat. I don't have a clue about where to start or how to do it. JC brought this back from the sweat and I need help cooking it! Can't say I was very excited about the meat in the first place, but I am willing to give it good try.  :pray:  

Thank you for any advice.
Kim

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goat Meat
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »
Here is a board full of recipes for you Miss Kim.

http://www.jackmauldin.com/goat_recipes.htm

http://www.greatgoats.com/cooking.html
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:28:00 PM »
If I can get to it before she cooks it, I'm smoking it! I think you could smoke an old boot and make it edible   ;)
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »
Do it the Texas way...Bar B que it  :bigsmyl:
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 02:08:00 PM »
Miss Kim, just saw a spring stew recipe on martha 03 07 they used lamb meat looked good try it with goat meat, might work, go to marthastewart.com and do search. Jonesy p.s. i dont watch it, i just love lamb meat!

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
Jc, take the goat meat put it in a crock pot for 12hrs with your preferred seasonings...careful now, dont overdo it. ok, now that youve wasted all day on the goat meat take it out of the crock pot and bring it to a neighbor or in-laws or whoever and then take that pretty lady out for diner!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:13:00 PM »
HI JC & Miss Kim,
As good as them there antelope burgers were just let me know if you need a garbage disposal, Mason and I are only an hour away. We also specialize in tenderizing 3D targets everyhwere but the kill zone , haha !!! Miss Kim can cook !!!

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Only way I have ever fixed goat is with a smoker.  Dry rub with your favorite seasonings and drop it on the smoker for a few hours.  Taste wonderful.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 02:31:00 PM »
Never mind, I do better at eating  :bigsmyl:

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
I had curried goat in Trinidad and Tobago. Had a nasty looking green sauce on it but tasted great, bit hot and spicy.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Gary Kellar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Kim -

However you cook that goat just be sure to make some of those fabulous cookies for after dinner. That way you can always throw out the goat and just eat the cookies . . . works for me.

Besides, Joe doesn't appear to have a problem with whatever you make, or however you make it . . . you go girl!!
If at first you don't succeed, do it like your wife told you to, to begin with.

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
If you like spicy food goat is very good in curries. Red curries in particular.
Also mexican recipes like chili colorado or chili verde will work with goat. Long time cooking with low tempurature, about 225 and wet cooking techniques. Heres is a crockpot recipe.
In a cast iron skillet,Brown the meat. cut into  about one inch cubes seasoned with salt and pepper. Then add chopped onions sweat the onions when they are translucent add minced garlic and chopped fresh rosemary leaves, cilantro and as much fresh chopped serrano chilis as you like. Sweat that for a minute or two and add either chopped can tomatoes or for or five chopped fresh tomatoes. Pour everything along with two bottles of your favorite beer or red wine and a cup of vegatable stock, into the crockpot on low and cook for a few hours. The vegetable prep, browning,etc will take you about half an hour. you can do that before work and come home to a nice supper. Serve over rice.
I can give you somemore recipes if you'd like.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 05:31:00 PM »
You know, it wasnt' until I got home from Texas until I even HEARD about those cookies!  They were obviously very closly guarded, and everyone in camp knew better than to let me have a taste.  All I ever saw for cookies were bag upon bag of Oreos!
From what I've heard of you cooking Miss Kim, I'm sure that old goat will turn out just fine!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
Miss Kim,

A can of mushroom soup and some hot sauce should do it! JC says this makes groundhog taste good so it's gotta make goat taste fantastic. Good luck.
hunt it

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »
just roast it real slow for 2 maybe 3 hrs oh boy can i come and eat at your place jc?  :thumbsup:    :campfire:   roast veg as well it cant get any better than that. oh hang on yes it can try this good old kiwi hangi put chop the meat into serving size portions dust the meat and vegetables with salt and pepper place meat in the bottom of large roasting dish heap vegetables on top then spread wartercress on top of that if no wartercress then silverbeet. then add 3 cups of water cover heaped dish with foil mould foil around the lip of dish so that it is a sealed unit make sure you dont tear the foil. for extra sealing tie up foil with string around the dish lip. place in oven and cook for 3 hours at 160c serve on table from dish just remove foil and dig in YUMMMMMMMMMM!!!!  :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
Goat is good eatin.

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Goat or Lamb... all the same to me. Cook it like ya would lamb chop or better yet Leg of lamb.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2007, 06:20:00 PM »
Do not know if angora is fit to eat or not. I killed many a "Spanish goat" out there in West Texas and they barbque very nicely. I love goat. But like I said, not sure on the angora.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
You can grill most any thing with enough bar-b-que sauce and make it edible. Have plenty of slaw just in case.RC

Offline Miss Kim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I knew I could count on you for some help. I can USUALLY cook about anything....but I tell ya, the idea of cooking goat is just a little more than I really wanted to figure out.

Thanks for the ideas and for all the sweet bragging on the cookies and buffalo burgers. My cookies usually look more like frisbees...a big joke with JC. When I told him I was making cookies to send to the sweat, well he wasn't too excited. They did turn out pretty good and I forced them in his bag.
Next year I will make more......  :D  

Thanks again and I will let you know how this turns out.....
Kim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©