3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone use one of those rubber arrow holder things?  (Read 785 times)

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone use one of those rubber arrow holder things?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 06:30:00 AM »
I do what Stic-n-string does except I am not so exact.  I cut a small piece of coat hanger, match it as best I can to a small drill bit and drill a small hole in the back of my riser then glue.  I do use the hair tie rubber bands, black.  Works sweet and I am surprised no bowyers offer it as an option or something.  You only need a little nub sticking out of the riser to hold the rubber band and it falls away when you pull the bow back.  
Bob Urban

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
I like the Sta-Jac. I didn't have to tape or glue it on. I just stuck the bracket down inside my rubber grip between it and the handle and it holds it securely.

58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
Guess I'm a little late here.  Heck yes, I use one (Kwik-loc), love it, and even have a back-up available so I'll never be without one.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Wow, I just use my finger.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
I've used the Sta Jac since the mid 60's. I didn't use one for a while when I was shooting off the shelf and trying to be "traditional" until I had a 10 pointer show up one afternoon. I reached for my bow and the arrow fell off. Fortunately it did not hit the metal stand but stuck in the ground under the tree stand. The buck looked at it and because acorns were falling I assume he thought it was an acorn that had made the noise. In any event  a Phantom thru the heart put him down and that nite I went thru my old stuff and found my old Sta Jacs and one went on my bow as well as Laura's. They have been on the bows ever since then and I really don't know how I did as well as I did without it. They are probably the best "gadget" one can put on his or her bow.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
who mounts theirs front vs back? because of my brace height i can't mount mine on back and have to "push" to release. just curious!

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Another vote for the Sta-Jac, works better then anything else I have used and stays in place.  Mark
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Fingers don't work when your bow's hanging on a hanger.  My arrows ALWAYS fell off.

No, they use a double back tape and you just peel it off. I've moved mine back and forth from a couple of bows with no problems. If it does leave any "goo" on the riser, just wipe it off with alcolol. One other thing I forgot, I did have to trim the kwik loc a little so the base wasn't under my thumb when I gripped the bow.  
Well said.  I'm using the Kwik Lok and LOVE it.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
tooth pick and a rubberband.... (and it doesn't cost $6.00 to ship)
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline RayMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
I have been using the Kwik-Lok for at least 10 years and obviously I like it. The reason I wanted to post is to suggest trying it on the front. It is designed to automatically let go when installed on the back; however, if you put it on the front it will not. Now you may say why would you do that, well I have found that it lets go of the arrow to easy for me, when on the front you have to push it off the arrow and for me that works much better.

RayMO

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Like PICKNGRIN says Sta-Jac been using them since 1973, I take a knive put 3 slits in the rubber holder, they pop off the shaft with little pull on the string,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by GMMAT:
[QB] Fingers don't work when your bow's hanging on a hanger.  My arrows ALWAYS fell off.
Jeff,  I've always held my bow, or it's on my lap when sitting.

Offline Intuit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I've used several of the manufactured arrow holders over the years, now I use the rubber band method. A #4 finish nail cut short, epoxied into the riser or rest and a bagfull of rubber bands. I stretch the rubber bands over a bracket on my bow and they are always at hand.

Did my son's bow this year, his comment,"About as low tech as you can get."
Senior member & Measurer P&Y Club
NRA Life Member
Past Bowhunter Safety Instructor

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Years ago, we used to use an arrow holder called a silent partner. You had this long skinny triangle shaped piece of plastic that was about 1/4" thick, with a small hole in the small end. The big end sticky taped to the opposite side of the riser. You fastened a rubber band through the hole. It went around the arrow, then back over the end of the triangle. When you draw back, the rubber band rolls off the end and flips out of the way. Works just like the toothpic thing, but you don't lose the toothpic. We made several from plexiglas, but it's a bit too brittle for cold weather. One good bump could break it. The factory ones were a bit more rubbery.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tom Leemans:
Works just like the toothpic thing, but you don't lose the toothpic.
should be on the ground, right under your stand..... I use colored tooth picks and colored rubber bands

not too hard to locate them when I get down...  I will also just take it off and put it in my pocket as I am preparing to shoot.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline greenie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
I've had the same arrow holder on my bow for 10-15 years. I noticed this year it starting to squeek when I draw to release it. Well not dealing with it caught up with me this morning. A mature buck came by chasing a doe and I grabbed my bow and put tension on the string to release the holder, making the squeek the big buck stopped dad in his tracks at 40yds. and looked right up at me. The doe finally caught my thermals and blew. Just a dab of vasaline on a  q-tip fixed the problem.

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm not sure what the type I am using is. I bought it from the archery store in town and it sticks on the riser.  I just don't want my arrow clanging around when the bow isn't in my hand.
>>>--------->

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I used the toothpick and rubber band method for several years and they worked fine, but got tired of loosing, forgetting and poking my self with the toothpicks.  One of my selfbow students gave me a gift certificate to 3rivers and being unable to decide which of the three would work the best, I ordered all three (http://search.3riversarchery.com/search?asug=Arrow+hol&w=arrow+holder) so I could compare them side to side for my self.  Figured if I chose the wrong one it would cost more in shipping for a second one then to buy all three at the same time.  Hands down I like the Sta-Jac the best.  However, I do like the mounting system of the other two better.  The soft rubber gripper and the ability to adjust and fine tune the Sta-Jac, for me, make it a better product.  To mount mine I used Velcro with the sticky the backing (like double-sided tape) so I didn’t have to drill holes in my riser and make it easily transferable to other bows.  

For me,all three work better then the toothpick rubberband method.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
You can't use the StaJac or the KwickLok on the back of the bow because pulling the arrow releases it.  On the back you would be continually pulling through it.....don't work 8^).

We sold lots of Sta Jac arrow holders in the 1970's at our archery shop.  Folks preferred them of the KwickLock.  Everyone has different needs though.  I don't use any, but I'm always on the ground.

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
George,

Just in case it helps someone...

I have two bows on which I placed the Kwik-Lok on the back of the bow because of riser design and low brace height.  My fletching touched the shelf on the belly side of those bows, and there wasn't room for the arrow holder on the arrow without interference.

On the bows I have rigged this way, my first move when game comes into view is a slight "push" or bump on the string as I position my fingers.  The Kwik-Lok snaps forward, and the arrow is clear for the shot.

Some may not like it that way, but it has worked really well for me for years.

Just another possibility to consider.  I've never used the StaJac, so don't know if it work for that...

Daryl
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©