3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MOAB or Black Widow PL?  (Read 507 times)

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
MOAB or Black Widow PL?
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
I'm considering selling one of my recurves to fund a longbow and am looking at the Thunderstick MOAB and the Black Widow PL. Now if I went for the Widow, I'd have to wait for a used one which may be tough since I'm left handed, but if I went for the MOAB I should be able to afford a new one.
Just wanted to hear people's experiences and opinions of each; especially those who have shot both? Also open to other suggestions. Smoothness of draw, handshock, and speed are the primary concerns for me.
Thanks.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: MOAB or Black Widow PL?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
I can tell you you wont be disappointed with a MOAB. I have shot them all and i can afford any of them.And MOAB are my favorite.Good luck im a lefty and its hard to any bows to test.Test them both before you buy one, everyone has different taste.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Both of those are top performers with the MOAB being a little faster, but I give the nod to the used Widow for a couple reasons.

1. selling it or trading it later will be easier.

2. used value is most likely going up, not down.

3. has a slight edge in looks

However, either one you choose will be good.
Lon Scott

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
PL's are hard to beat... what weight ya lookin for? widow had a couple leftys hangin in thier shop a month or so ago.. might test drive one.. sometimes they have a bow some one has cancelled or whatever and might cut somewhat of a deal on.. might call and ask..
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
I've not shot a widow, but my old man's moab is unbeatable. It is PERFECTLY smooth with NO handshock at all, and faster than I thought a stickbow could be.
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Thunderstick MOAB are great bows...
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline BowZen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
Never shot either one of those bows, but just received a Thunderhorn Coup Stick- 62" with yew core, highly figured sapele veners, orange cocobola and sapele wave riser with a cross grain zebra wood striping 51# at 28". Its just a beautiful bow. Never shot anything as smooth and as accurate. Shot different arrows through it-Goldtip, Carbon Express, and Beamans, and they all shot well. Just a thought.....

www.thunderhornmfg.com

karim

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
I have owned both and you have a tough decision there.  Both bows are excellent shooters and both companies are excellent to deal with.  I would say if you wanted a shorter bow then I would go with a 60" MOAB, especially if price is an issue.  If you want a longer bow and like the history behind the Black Widow company, then I would go with a 62" or 64" PL, depending on your draw length.  
  Whichever you choose, I don't see you being dissappointed in the way the bow shoots or the customer service from either.  They are both completely outstanding in my opinion!

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
I would have to go with the MOAB.  I have shot both and I now own a MOAB.  I just shot it over lunch and it impresses me more and more each day.

Dave

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
MOAB all the way. ( my own completely unbiased opinion LOL)
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
I draw 30", should have mentioned. Thanks for all the input so far everyone!

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
I have shot both and it will come down to what you are looking for.  The MOAB will have a lighter physical weight than the PL, it will also be faster and quieter.  I prefer the MOAB myself.  While I love the BW recurve, I have never been that impressed with the PL, especially with the price they charge.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave Lay:
PL's are hard to beat... what weight ya lookin for? widow had a couple leftys hangin in thier shop a month or so ago.. might test drive one.. sometimes they have a bow some one has cancelled or whatever and might cut somewhat of a deal on.. might call and ask..
Pl's are hard to beat! But have also heard alot of great things about Moabs though!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
I'm looking for something between 55-58# at 30", preferably something at the heavier end of that. If I can get my recurve sold for what I think it's well worth I may be able to get a new Widow, so I may have to test drive one.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
MOAB rule!!!!!!!!
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Shoot them both then YOU decide.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I don't know how I would get a MOAB to shoot...Jim Reynolds doesn't have a test drive program like Widow does he?

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I'm sure there is probably a fellow Tradganger on here that lives close, maybe meet up and shoot a moab.
I've had both- I also let them both go for various reasons and I wish I could get them back that said, what the real difference for me was in the grip- the moab hands down imho had a wonderful grip. I shot both bows well, each fast and quiet, the draw cycles or preloads were a little different as they would be on any two bows so if you can find a way to shoot them both do it! As far as resale value goes I personally got more out of the plx, than the Moab I bought new and fit and finish was a little nicer on the plx but again this is something you have to decide and consider the cost etc... I'd love to have a moab again! and a coup stick and a schafer, and a griffin, .......its a sickness  sorry!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
I know that no one is getting my MOAB's except my son.And im orering him one today.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 02:28:00 PM »
is he a lefty too?
Gerardo Rodriguez

Users currently browsing this topic: