3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: did you kill the FIRST trad deer you shot at???  (Read 1181 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
did you kill the FIRST trad deer you shot at???
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
just curious did you kill the FIRST deer you shot at with traditional equipment? i missed my 2nd deer tonight that i have shot at, well got a little hair but ya know what i'm saying. if you didn't kill the first one you shot at how long did it take to connect and kill one? i hope my learning curve is over and i can put it all together!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: did you kill the FIRST trad deer you shot at???
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Nope, 3rd shot...at the same deer LOL!!  I missed at 15yds..didn't bend at the waist and right over her.  The doe jumped back and looked around. I got flustered and missed at 20yds.  The doe then proceeds to bed down 60yds away for 30 minutes or so.  She gets back up and comes back(are you kidding me?).  She made it 20 yards after the shot and that was that.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I made a longbow one summer and killed a doe with it that fall on my first trad shot at a deer.

It's also the longest shot I ever took at a deer, 32yds.  I had no idea it was that long, I didn't have to estimate yardage and choose a pin.  It looked like a good shot, so I took it.  I hit about 2" lower that I wanted.

Offline tex-archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
I missed my first one due to buck fever. Connected on my second buck two days later. Just remeber to pick a spot and don't pay attention to anything else but that spot.
Aim small, miss small!!

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
i missed 2 before connecting.  couldn't get the "bend at the waist" thing down when shooting from a treestand.  both shots went right over the deer.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
The first deer I ever drew on was a broadside doe on the second morning of the season. A double-lung pass through put her down within 60 yards. As near as I can remember, I put four or five deer in the freezer with a recurve before I ever missed one with a stickbow.

Offline ka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
First deer  i ever shot at ,shot at as it came running by, took shot (using bear recurve and razorheads) cut deers throat as it passed by never sticking the deer. Deer was all bled out completely when i got to him . Pure Luck shot for sure!!!

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Shot over there backs first three times,never picked a spot smaller than 28"x42" just guessing on these numbers. Connected on fourth man what a rush.Still waiting this year but I know they are around me.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
Yes, opening day, first hunt, first arrow in the first five minutes, first Trad deer.! The moon and the stars were aligned  :)    :)    :) .

That was 16 years ago. Made the switch when my wife bought me my first recurve, since I was a kid, for Christmas. A Howatt Super Diablo. Shot winter indoor league with it and broadhead league in the summer. When hunting season rolled around I just felt I wasn't ready yet and hunted with my compound. Did the same thing the following year and when opening day came along I was ready. Went out with a friend of mine to a new piece of property that I'd never hunted before. Scouted it a few weeks before and hung one tree stand. Took my friend to the stand and dropped him off, he asked me where my stand was and I told him I didn't have one yet. I was going to spend a little time on the ground seeing how the deer were moving before I hung another one. As he was climbing up the tree he told me "if you hit one come and get me because I want to track it with you".

Well I rounded to corner on the two track and within 100 yards a nice 5 point came trotting out of the woods heading for the cornfield. I stopped in my tracks as both of us saw each other at the same time. As the little buck stood there staring at me I slowing pulled an arrow from my quiver, nocked it and let it fly. Into the cornfield he bolted with a Bear Greenie deep inside him. I turned around and walked back to my partner , who I left only minutes before, as he was hauling his bow up into the tree and told him he had to get down. He thought I was joking but soon found out I wasn't!! After a short tracking job we were both looking at the little five point down in the corn. We still talk about that one and of all the deer I've taken with a bow in my life he's the one I'm the proudest of.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
As a matter of fact I did.  This poor little 5 pt. jumped the string and wound up jumping parallel to the arrow flight and the broadhead took out his femoral artery and layed his abdomen open.  He went 40 yards.  Year was 1969.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
No I think I missed about 13 shots before I finally killed one. Missed one deer 3 times. Then I figured out how to pick a spot and they haven't been quite as lucky since.   :)
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
killed the first big game animal i shot at with my recurve, but id missed countless small game before that, also missed my first shot at an impala with the compound.
 missing is part of the game, not a pleasant part, but it happens
good luck with the next one Man hope you put it all together
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Hell no brother, I missed the first 3 deer I shot at, it was Awesome!    :bigsmyl:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »
10th or 11th!  Took me a long time to learn to pick a spot!!! d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »
I did!  A doe last year.  I knew I hit her good but could'nt find her that night.  The next morning I found her about 20 yards from the last sign of blood.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »
Missed frist deer,elk,bear!you get the picture.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 02:59:00 AM »
Center punched the heart on the very first one I had a shot at.  A little fork horn back home in PA.  17 yards, from the ground.  Funny thing was, almost zero blood trail.  I guess if the heart don't pump, they don't leak as bad?

Also shot the first turkey I ever drew on.  From the ground and no blind!  Right out in the open as a matter of fact.

Been screwing up and missing all kinds of shots ever since.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline shakey slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 03:10:00 AM »
yes / dead as mackerall dropped on spot !spike buck
i never regretted a day in the woods/ a hippie taught me to hunt

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 04:40:00 AM »
Ken, the first year I hunted trad I must have missed five deer before I connected. I still do something dumb and end up missing, the best thing is to keep shots under 15 paces, at closer ranges you can pick out a finer detail on the deer to use as your "spot"
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 05:22:00 AM »
NO!
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©