3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: did you kill the FIRST trad deer you shot at???  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: did you kill the FIRST trad deer you shot at???
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
First black bear, deer, elk,  and wild hog, in that sequence.

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
No. It was about the 6th or 7th deer that I took shots at before I got the buck in my avatar. All clean misses except for the first which bearly nicked her back.

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
Yes. A 15 yd double lung, complete pass through, with a 60lb Ben Pearson recurve that I bought at a flea market for $18. If that doesn't boost your confidence I don't know what will!
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
Nope!  Had a spike come in at 7 AM sharp on the first morning I hunted with my recurve.  He jumped the string then proceeded to feed out of sight.  

The next morning the same deer came to the same tree at 7:05 and I had a couple extra silencer on the string......and missed him again!  Both times he moved just far enough to get behind something before feeding outof sight.

Finally killed one on my third shot, but it was the following year.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
This is a hard one.Killed my first deer in 1976 and my grey matter is kinda grey.That season I missed a hog,and a deer and killed one just not sure in what sequence.I think I killed one ,next week missed a deer and a hog the next weekend.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
I killed the first deer I shot at. Took me 4 years to get a shot. Shot was head-on at about 15 yds. Hit him right where he would knot his tie. Went 30 yds. and it took me 5 hrs. to find him. Hap

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
First shot at a deer with a recuve, 1967 or 68. shot at a 4 pt. at 26 yards missed clean and haven't had a shot since.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
no way,mybe the 3rd one  but that was over 40 years ago.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
Ken, my first shot was in October of 1965, and at 12 yards I missed by a foot and a half 8^).  Back then, some of us had to learn a lot on our own and I didn't do well until I got into the local archery club.  My first one wasn't taken until 1967;  after that, I did a lot better 8^))).   That first deer tends to throw everything off balance...hard to even think.  I think I picked a spot...but it was the whole woods, not a spot on the deer.  Persevere.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
not only no but hell no, lost track of how maney missed shots
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
yea I misswed a bunch too, one big old buck I missed twice before he had enough of my games. I not only failed to pick a spot but was jerking my head up to see the arrow etc. Its tough to stay cool, pick a spot and keep good form. Stay the course I'm sure you'll pull it off.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
1st trad deer came on a powerline right of way near the top of a hill in Pleaseantville Pennsylvania in 1988.  1st buck, 1st day, 1st shot, 1st time out.  I was climbing a tree when he came by and walked to the other side.  I climbed down and picked my bow up I had forgotten to tie it on the bow rope.  The shot was 12 yards out.  It was just meant to be...

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
First year got busted 4 times in mid draw. Second year got busted opening morning, but got lucky for my first traditional kill that afternoon. This year haven't seen a deer yet......don't need to tell you about hunting the Adirondacks.

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
I got the first deer I ever shot at, but not with the first shot. I was 15, 1975, and it was opening day. I was 6 ft up in an oak and got a 15 yard shot at a doe. I aimed low and missed low! The doe ran out into a field and stopped broadside at around 40 yards and I made a heart/lung passthrough.

Joe

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I was fortunate enough to kill the first deer that I shot at with a recurve.  The shot was close and I made a good shot.  I also killed the first deer I shot at with a longbow.  It was the following year, although not a one shot kill like my recurve doe.  It was a nice fat six point and I shot him about 15 yards from my stand.  Shot too high and spined him.  He drop right there and I proceeded to miss him two times from the stand trying to follow up.  Only had four arrows in my quiver, so I climbed down from my stand and got a little closer to make the final shot.  I was a bit shook up, to say the least.  He kicked around before expiring and broke all but one of my arrows, but I was happy as can be!  That's been a few years ago and have have missed a few in the years since, but still feel that excitement although it doesn't get as out of hand as it did then.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
No, I missed it....twice.  Could have shot again but realized I wasn't ready.  This year I'm two for two but went out back tonight and was lucky to hit the front third of my target.  Where your mind is has a lot to do with it.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
I drew on, and missed my first doe of the year about two weeks ago! got busted by the second one! still looking for my first trad kill! both were on the ground,probably 10 yards, very cool!! Jason

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
No, it was my 6th shot before I killed and recovered one. But unlike the near miraculus records of most everyone else, I did not go from misses to kills - there where 2 wounded in the 1st five shots. Must be my luck cause everyone else seems to miss or kill??

I've learned for me that picking a spot has nothing to do with it for me - I can't imagine ever pulling back the string without a clear aiming point. Learning when to shoot is what has made my kill/wound/miss ratio what it should be for me to be comfortable hunting with a recurve.

Steve

Offline Weekend Warrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I took the first one I shot at it happend to be 7 pt buck, first day of bow season.
   I thought man this is easy. Then later in the season I missed a doe at 10 yrds..
Brought me back down to earth.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I've never shot any way but trad, and have killed every deer I've shot at except 3 in the past 48 years.Killed my first and probably the next 30-35 before missing the first one. Missed 2 after that and they were about 3 years apart.
I'm not nearly as good a shot as I was in my 20's and 30's, but like then I don't take a shot unless I'm completely confident I can make it.
Also have never had Buck Fever when bowhunting, only seem to get it if using a rifle.I don't know maybe it's a distance thing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©