3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 piece suit  (Read 523 times)

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
3 piece suit
« on: October 26, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
Any of you older guys ever dressed in a wool suit to ground hunt?  I kid you not, I have collected enough wool clothing, that I may try to go 'real old school' and wear my Pendleton slacks, Filson vest, merino long sleeve shirt, and loose Pendleton plaid jacket, wool tie... yes, I said a tie.  Surely I'm not the only one that takes the elk season so serious, that it's worth 'dressing up' for?  Interested to hear your opinion...  

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 piece suit
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
There's hunters in the UK still dress like that no matter what they're hunting.  Tie included!  LOL
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
I have another name for a tie---It starts with A and rhymes with anaconda.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
im not in the habit of wearing a shirt and tie, much less a suit.but my grandfather showed me this pic of him in 1952, when he was the belgium national indoor archery champion
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
Heh - pass.  You had me until you said 'tie'.  Had to wear one too many years at school and work.  Thanks anyway. :-p

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
what kind of arrow is that????????
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Very interesting grip Ruddy. Looks to be shooting off his fingers.

Wear wool most everytime in the woods. No tie. Thin dark wool (Sunday) slacks when it's hot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Suppose you could use the tie as a drag rope   :biglaugh:  
We need pictures of this fancy shmancy hunting gear.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Sounds like a plan; I'll send out some pics soon.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
"Tie?"  I don't have to wear no stinking tie - no more, no more, no more.

Otherwise wool is great.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PrarrieDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Think of it this way, The tie keeps your shirt closed and covers the area that a cool breeze could enter. It also keeps heat from escaping.
The tie has its uses.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
broketooth-
That is an old tapered blunt arrow for popinjay archery. All us Belgians know that.   :D   We had this old dude name Maurice that made his own, though they weren't quite that fat on the end, and his were also fluted! All wood except for a thick phenolic ring glued to one end. I remember them to be gorgeous arrows. He shot a lemonwood selfbow with horn knocks, and I don't think he ever missed by more than 1/2"! (I might add that he was about 80 years old at the time) You were basically trying to knock a "bird" off of a rack of steel pins or rods, about 20 yards away. The original game was shooting to knock "birds" off a vertical mast, but it can be set up horizontal too. You can do searches, but here's a pic of what we used to shoot at.   http://www.belgianhall.ca/clubs/index.php  You had to hit the pin, just in front of a peanut sized plug that was tapped onto the pin to knock the bird off. Simple... knock the bird off and win some money! A round would last until the top 5 birds on that rack were knocked off. In my day, the small birds were worth .50, the kalles were worth .75, sides worth about 1.50 (depending on # of shooters) and the top bird was $2.00 or more. At the end of the night, we'd have a king shoot. Everyone paid X-$ to shoot at the top bird and the first to knock it off won the pot. Everyone who paid got to shoot. If more than one knocked it off, there'd be a tie breaker round. There were, and still are tournaments where you shoot for score though. Back then, the most durable arrows we shot for this sport were microflites. It took a lot to ruin one of those.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
I think folks just dressed up more in public in the days gone by.  No way would many folks, especially down south, go out in public with a sweat suit or the like on or with curlers in their hair.     Part of it was respect for others, part because it was just not cool.

ChuckC

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
OB  I'll do it if you will.  Lets start a "new" trend.
ChuckC

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm there Chuck.  Now are we going for non-matching 70's disco reject plaid camo effect, or earth tone goin' ta' Bible study theme?

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
sorry i didn't get to reply as fast about the arrows. mr tom leemans is 100% correct. that is exactly how he had explained it to me. he also told me that during one of his club shoots , the pot for the tournement was enough matrial to make a 3 peice suit. no kiddin.for him to tell me about thes shoots his eyes light up. here is another pic
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
Just keep that tie away from your bowstring!

Eric

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »
Really interesting thread. Thanks for sharing!
  :thumbsup:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
Westbrook, the tie gets tucked into the Filson vest...or that's at least the plan   :D

Offline OB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Well here it went, guys.  I wore this for the first day of the elk season and it went well.  I rode my mountain bike in the SW Washington mountains, talked a good bit to the local hunters in the area, but amazingly received no funny or questioning comments.  Did I feel weird standing next to a billion dollar camo industry?  Heck yes, but it was fun, and is now attire for the new 'first day of elk season' tradition.  I personally think it pays homage to the majestic animals that we seek.  The bowstring never got involved as I wear my binocs underneath the jacket.  For those of you who are compulsive about the nylon lining noise... I just cut it out.  Everything was made here in Oregon, besides the wool cap.  I wanted a fedora, but I can not have anything affect my hearing, and a ball cap or beanie is the only ticket for now.  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©