3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Two bows or one?  (Read 582 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Two bows or one?
« on: October 13, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
Since I have switch back to trad gear last year all of my shooting has been in preperation for hunting. But would like do some traditional target and 3-D shoots.My question is how many have different set ups for different shooting? Do you shoot light limbs for target? Do you shoot light and fast arrows for 3-D,or do you shoot the same bow hunting and competion? There are not many trad shooters in my area to see the set ups that are used.

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Two bows or one?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
If I want to reall really screw myself up I would shoot a different bow everyday. I have to stick to one bow one arrow to be cofident and consistant and I just got into Trad Shooting serious
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
I have a dozen bows and I shoot them all in the course of a few months.  I shoot my 50# bows during the hunting months and like my 45# bows for 3-D shooting or where I'm going to be shooting hundreds of arrows in a couple of days.  It doesn't seem to mess me up at all and I adjust quickly to a different bow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
I have always been a one bow guy myself. But I have seen many that do competion have indoor,3-D,hunting set ups. In the wheely world most how shoot competion hard do it that way. I never did when I shoot competion with wheels and it didn't mess with my score.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
I do not think that having more than one bow of different weights will hurt as long as they are similar bow designs.  Mixing Hill style longbows and target recurves does not work for me, but having heavy and lighter weight longbows does have advantages.  Just make sure you use the same form for lighter weight bows and for the heavier bows.  it does not help if your your arrows have huge weight changes.  I mainly stick with tapered cedars for everything, the variance between different bows with each having it's own set of arrows lessens the aiming differences.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
I shoot one bow and one bow only. I cannot afford to have a bunch of bows, and I kinda like using the same bow for all my hunting, indoor target shooting, and 3D archery excursions. It's as if me and the bow and arrow become one unit and know each other so well that I don't have to think too much about anything but making the shot, at crunch time.

Everybody's different though.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline sorno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
I'm still learning this game so I generally stick to one bow.  But then again, I still haven't hunted w/ mine (only got it in July) so one bow for any target shooting situation I have come across has been sufficient...
S.

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 08:39:00 PM »
I shoot my Assenheimer Recurve during my winter indoor league at my archery club and early Spring 3D shoots. Then I switch to either my Stewart or Pronghorn longbows for late Spring, Summer and Fall (hunting).  All are similar in poundage and bow length.  I really don't have much of a problem switching, because I shoot often and work on my form.  I really learn the characteristics/feel of my bows by doing this.  I shoot the same arrow in all my bows.
The work praises the man.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »
I shoot the same bow for both.  It helps me stay ready for hunting season all year long.  Plus I don't have to second guess my range and shot when that all important kill shot presents itself in the field.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
When I get my custom recurve, I will definetely be shooting it for a while. Generally, I like to shift between bows, depending on which bow I feel like shooting.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
I shoot 2 Toelke Whips and 2 Toelke Hill style or "D" bows. They vary 5 lbs. in draw weight and the D bows chronograph 11.5 grs. per lb. arrows  at the same 166-168 f.p.s. that the Whips do 12.5 grs. per lb. I shoot this weight arrow for everything and all 4 bows shoot identically. K.I.S.S. really works, particularly with my small brain.

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
I've been shooting the same recurve for almost 40 years.  I have maybe a dozen other bows that I shoot once in while, just for grins, but Sweetness is my go-to bow for hunting, target leagues, 3-D, stumping, etc.  I've shot it by far the most and have absolute confidence when shooting this one.  Don't be afraid to shoot other bows, but you probably find one that's just right and you'll want to shoot it for everything.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I shoot lots of bows during the year because I make bows. I generally keep all my bows hunting weight and shoot that weight all year long; hunting, 3D or target. When hunting season nears I pick one bow that I will hunt with and shoot it exclusively. I do generally have a back-up bow that shoots similar to my hunting bow and practice with it ...just in case.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
I have a black widow a ACS and a Morrison ILF that i shoot everyday and i can shoot them all pretty much the same. I dont know what it is but i guess my Morrison is dialed in a little better because my broadheads fly exactly like my field points. This is my go to bow for hunting and 3-d shooting.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
I own 8 or 9 different bows but tend to only shoot 1 or 2 all the time. I shoot all the tournaments with the exact set-up I take into the woods, I do not feel comfortable switching things up a lot. JMHO

Bisch

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
One bow and set up all the time is better.  I switch WAY TOO MUCH!
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
Depends on you.

Do you want to shoot 3D or target just for the sake of score or do you want to shoot it for preparation for hunting?  If the former, might as well get a dedicated target bow.  If the later, use your hunting rig.

If you are a bit new, I'd suggest using your hunting rig to start as that will help you the most with your hunting but if you really "get into" the target side, go ahead and invest in a different bow IF your accuracy with your hunting bow has become acceptable.

Who knows, shooting some with a lighter target bow might help your overall form and would transfer to improved accuracy with your hunting weight bow.  There are a LOT of guys who start trad with the intention of hunting and are overbowed but don't realize it.

I would be probably keep the styles kinda similar.  i.e. both recurves or longbows with similar grips and keep arrow weights per pound of draw weight about the same too so that you keep your "eye" for trajectory.  It is possible to jump from a fast bow to a medium  or slow bow and vice versa with a bit of practice but why make it hard?

On the other hand, it's a great excuse to give your wife about why you need another bow...
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
I have one recurve and one new bow on order.  IF I knew nothing would ever happen to my current bow.....I'd not own more than 1.

Who can assure me of that, though?

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Always had much admiration for those with enough confidence to own 1 bow. 6 week Dr Phil rehab couldn't talk me into it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Randy Koleno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Right now, I'm using two 21st Century Longbows. The grips are very similar. I use my 51#, 62" bow for 3D and hunting. When we start our winter league, I switch to my 46#, 68" bow. I can't resist shooting my hunting bow occasionally during the winter league though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©