3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? for you snake country hunters/Crackshot Snakeguard Gaiters?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline FAIRCHASE

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? for you snake country hunters/Crackshot Snakeguard Gaiters?
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2007, 08:40:00 AM »
Buy the boots and be safe, you won't be sorry. Enjoy the hunt.   Regards,  Carl

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2007, 09:01:00 AM »
Daggone.....THAT's a SNAKE!!!!

Man, I get the heebie jeebies just lookin at that!!!
Otto

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Turtle skin also makes snake pants, check em out on thier website. My only advice on snake boots is wearem alot before you go hunting. There is something about the tall lace up boots that cause blisters for alot of folks.
hunt it

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2007, 01:12:00 PM »
That snake would look nice on my new chekmate....
LOL.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline The Gray Fox

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
I picked up a set of gaiters at Bass Pro for my upcoming S. GA hog and turkey hunt that fit me a lot better and provide better air flow than any boot.  They allow me to wear them over regular hunting or black rubber boots, too.  I have also found that if you have running back calves, as I do, the tall lace up boot just aren't comfortable at all.  The gaiters come up to just below the crease of my knee and cost about $60.  They'll help in briars, too.
None

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
Thanks Steve, could'nta said it better myself....Troy, that aint you, that's Burt Reynolds doin yer stunt work for ya......  :notworthy:  
DDDDDDDave
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
How long were ya in the hospital? We picked up a rattle bit dude on an EMS run and he was in the Hospital for 2 and a half weeks! he really took it bad.

I still aint worring bout em gettin through though. been there done that and he didn't make it. Wasn't as big as the one yer holdin and he struck the foot of the boot not the calf. I agree but he measured 61.5 inches(timber). I mounted him. Run across one on OPENING DAY! last year bout four foot he was a diamondback so I let him crawl as they are protected as of now on my area, but was neat to see.

Just cant see lettin something worry me enough to go and wear a bulky set of gaiters or chaps. too hot when we get started here, and as much as I have actually had a BAD encounter where I might have been bitten? not worth the dollars. Now black widows on the other hand are a different story, rather deal with that rattler.

Yall have a good one

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »
I will add this as a fireman around here I have seen a few snakebites, I know paramedics who have seen even more BUT, I have NEVER seen someone bitten who was just walking through the woods. They were always bitten trying to kill the snake or screw with it. Much like DTala/Troy there in the picture, THAT IS HOW PEOPLE ARE BITTEN, much more so than just diddy boppin through the woods and bam a snake hit them.

Best advice, leave them alone. no worries.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Offline T.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 07:14:00 PM »
I bought a pair of the redhead snake boots at bass pro last year, supposed to be waterproof too. Wore them last year during turkey season only, and so far this year. They aren't waterproof, so if your huntin swamps dont get them, if they were they tear up pretty quick, also not very comfortable for long hikes chasing turkeys,

I hate snakes and hunt some swamps so i'm looking now for a better brand.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »
I was carrying one out "dead" one time a timber 36 inches long. I had a forked stick using it to keep his head in the notch and away from my body, had his tail in the other hand. WELL that "dead" snake had liek a muscle spasm i guess, but just let out this big jerk in my hand! scared the bejeezes out of me, I threw the stick one way and took off the other!

Nother one I tried to pull a Irwin on he came back around so fast I thought I was had, still got his rattles as they came off in my hand and he got away. Two Black fellas were there and they thought they had met the craziest person in their lives.

BUT if ya want to have real fun take a mounted one(crawling pose) and hide it in the bathroom and cut the lights out, so when someone walks in and turns on the lights the big rattler is at their feet. Just be sure the person your scaring doesn't have a heart condition(ask me how I know)

Later

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
I was lookin at hiking boots at BP last week and the kid in the shoe dept. said stay away from the Redheads, not very good quality.....so there ya go huh? LOL
Troy, I heard rattlers didn't die after ya kilt em til after sunset, or is that just in the westerns?......8-)
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
I got the zip up kind and like them . I`m on my third pair. I have never played with a snake and will not tolerate someone messing with me with one. I`ll cut you and pray for you to stop bleeding if you try. Point is if you step on him you will more than likely get bit. I think anything that deserves this much discussion has already answered itself.The zip ups are on sale at bass pro for 89 bucks. I`d buy`em.RC

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Dave,
I was wrong, the sale isn't at Cabelas

www.scottsoutdoors.com   has Lacrosse Alpha burly venom boots on sale for $79.95. Hope this helps.
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »
If your that scared then by all means wear them.
Always be stubborn.

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »
The last two rattle snakes I killed, two weeks ago, were curled up right under the breaker box for our trailer at the lease.

They did not rattle.  They were just laying in wait for me to take two more steps.

It is too easy to step on or near a snake in only ankle high grass. Walking down a narrow trail in tall grass with a light is fun too.  

Everyone talks about people getting bitten on the hand because they reached for something near the snake.  Reaching or standing getting close enough to be bitten is too close regardless of what you are doing.  

They have a very effective camo job for you to see them every time and you only have to be bitten once to really give you a bad time.  I am careful when I drive but I have auto insurance.

I do not feel comfortable with the reasoning powers of a reptile with the brain the size of a quarter.

I am not terrified of them.  I will not let them keep me out of the woods. I do not hate them enough to go on a snake killing expedition. However I will kill every one I come across and I come across several every year.

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
Nik,
Believe me, I will be "packin" by the time we leave......LOL

Offline 52 bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
i got hit just above my high tops while muley hunting in NW Nebraska by a small rattler{38''].Felt like a limb hitting me and had a stream of venom on my camo- due to tall grass I think. Ruined my spot @ stalk hunting after stepped on another 300 yards later.Do not have to worry about them in w.central In.

Offline Grimesville Assassin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
In my Neck of the Wood's, your more likely to get struck by a Car, than Bit by a Snake. We have some Mighty Big Timber Rattlers but in all my times in Gods Great Outdoors, Iv only seen several Bad Snakes, and Luckily ,I seen them first.Im more concentrated on the Hunt than the Snakes, but im always mindfull, of their presence.

Have a GREAT Easter!
Traditional Archery is only an Addiction, If your trying to quit.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
52 bow? did it get you as far as a venomous bite?? I have to say there would have been another stain on my camo beside the streak of venom!

Yeah they dont rattle like people think, that is a misconception. I was bass fishing a few years back standing on a bank, just happened to look down and noticed something that didn't look right in the grass. turned out to be a diamondback less than three inches from my boot coiled, just laying there, not in a strike stance or anything? I tried to step away as calmly as I could. but he had me dead to rights.

I guess I have had enough encounters with them as not to see them as much threat that I need to buy 100 dollar pair of boots. Maybe I run across one that nails me one day, but as much time as I have spent in snakey country I doubt that will happen. I know if you step on them your bit, if you screw with them your bit, and alot of times as I mentioned if you are trying to kill them you could be bit.

In the end if it gives you a piece of mind wearing the boots then go for it. just concentrate on the hunt, dont let snakes worry you so much that you dont hunt well or dont enjoy the hunt.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
The only time I have ever seen snakes just hit anything is during the molt, I reckon that they are blind and feel vulnerable.

I would imagine if a guy knew how many snakes he/she had stepped over/around/on/next to in their years of huntin', he might be just nervous enough to get some protective gear.

I know that I would much prefer to wear protective boots in a land where there are Cottonmouths and Copperheads!

JMTCW

Jeff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©